Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #1

Best Way To REMOVE THE WALLPAPER???

What is the best way to remove the wallpaper that is glued or stuck to the plywood interior without ruining the plywood??? Some parts are bubbling, but when I pull it the stuff that is still stuck takes off a bit of the top of the plywood walls. I am putting wall covering in like this: Shop Astek Bamboo Grasscloth Wallcovering at Lowes.com

Do I just put it over the old wallpaper that is still stuck or if not, how do I remove it without damaging the walls??
1995 Safari Sahara 33' (5.9 230HP Cummins B-Series Diesel, Allison MD3060 Transmission) Diesel Pusher. Daily Driver even to the store, Home Depot, restaurants, etc. 2 Dogs (Great Dane/Greyhound Mix and a pure bred Great Dane) goes everywhere with us.
dieseldrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leave the paper in-place; as the former paper should be a good substrate. Must be clean & free of grease & grime. See directions for retro-fit wallpaper at the home improvement center.

The bubbled areas are not problematic unless they are several inches across in size. You can take a syringe needle & inject glue & roll 'em flat without too much fuss. Just let it dry overnite before adding the new wallcovering.

Most likely,Your cabinets and trim will need to be removed to allow the raw edges of new grass cloth to be concealed. Window & door frames loosened to allow you to employ a good tuck-behind technique. The larger the weave texture, the more unraveling possible; requiring more care to install. Cutting is very critical, as there is no piece-patching of errant cuts with this material.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Leave the paper in-place; as the former paper should be a good substrate. Must be clean & free of grease & grime. See directions for retro-fit wallpaper at the home improvement center.

The bubbled areas are not problematic unless they are several inches across in size. You can take a syringe needle & inject glue & roll 'em flat without too much fuss. Just let it dry overnite before adding the new wallcovering.

Most likely,Your cabinets and trim will need to be removed to allow the raw edges of new grass cloth to be concealed. Window & door frames loosened to allow you to employ a good tuck-behind technique. The larger the weave texture, the more unraveling possible; requiring more care to install. Cutting is very critical, as there is no piece-patching of errant cuts with this material.
Spoken like a true Wallpaper Hanger!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
This should work :
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Batman_777

They want to re-do the wallpaper, not remove the entire wall

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #6

Yeah just wallpaper over the old stuff.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

I wallpapered the whole coach last year using 54" wide top quality vinyl, we were advised to use a special non-mildew, non-freeze adhesive, the job was excellent, after a week or so any blisters were corrected using a syringe. we walpared over the seams and then scored the seem with a blunt tool, the vinyl molded the existing seams and look great!
cjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As above, wallpaper over the existing surface. Most motorhome factory "wallpaper" is much closer to peel-n-stick contact paper. Good luck trying to remove that stuff!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
A number of years ago I redid the wall paper in one of our RVs. The original was a vinyl type, as are most of those used in RVs, and I used a paste made to put wallpaper borders over vinyl wallpaper. It worked great and we never had a problem with peeling or blistering.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote