Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Best way to store dishes, glassware

Need advice from you seasoned RVers. I tried using the grippy square shelf liner and found plates, glasses, etc still slid around. What creative solutions do you all use? Does the heavier liner that goes in tool boxes help? Love to hear your ideas as we just purchased another DP and wil be stocking it very soon. Thanks!

Dave and Cathy
2005 Monaco Executive 43 PBQ
IlliniCathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
My DW uses the sticky rubber liner, but when we travel she uses the round, foam swimming pool noodles, cut to length so they compress a little bit between the dishes and stuff on the fridge shelves and the door. Cheap, takes up the extra space between the door and the dishes;/jars etc. she marks them for the cabinet they go to, and when we stop she puts them in a folding laundry hamper and stores it in the basement.

Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Dave and Cathy......The rubber liner usually works well, but the liner ends up sliding around. I install the liners and then use thumb tacks in the four corners to hold the liner in place.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
I put my dishes in the cupboards and then pack a lot of stuff around them like soft pillows so they can't go anywhere. Never had a broken dish yet.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought cheap yoga mats at Walmart and once they were cut to fit the cabinet, I put them down with double sided tape. Dishes do not slide around. I do put extra kitchen linens around them to prevent rattling but I love the noodle idea above!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the rubber mats on each shelf, and a paper towel between each plate, bowl, etc. Wrap glasses, mugs, etc., in paper towels. No problems so far.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
Corel for dishes. Sparklite for glasses. Never broke anything. BTW we hang our coffee cups from hooks in the ceiling
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
We use IKEA 'SKUBB' organizers, and keep the dishes in a drawer. The large units are 11x11, which obviously work great with IKEA plates that are also 11-inch diameter

Boxes: SKUBB Box, set of 6 - black, - IKEA
Plates: FÄRGRIK Plate - IKEA
2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
I don't worry about our paper plates and cups sliding around or breaking.
Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #10

I use Corelle dishes and found a dish stacker at Camping World in which the plates and bowls fit perfectly. I am also a plastic basket queen. All of our belongings are organized and stored neatly in plastic baskets within our cabinets and I never had a problem with breakage. To protect my pots and pans I use rubberized shelf liner. I simply cut squares and place them between the pans... it protects them from scratching and eliminates any rattling. You can also use it in the baskets to protect any glassware that you are carrying. Stuffing pillows and blankets in my cabinets is just not my style!

Stack-a-Plate - Camco 43601 - Space Savers - Camping World
It's made by Camco and can be found on Amazon if you don't shop CW

Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We learned at an RV rally,: Go to a UHaul moving store, and buy the sleeves they sell for packing dishes for when you move. They are made like an envelope, of soft foam material. The dish slides in, then stacks, like normal dishes. Same for glasses, and cups. They are not pretty, but work perfectly.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
9+ years. get Corelle!!! Even in our first rig, a rear kitchen 5th wheel I only broke one dish do to travel. Now in the MH I have actually smashed a couple by droping them on the tile floor. Coffee cup handles are another story so I get them a dime a dozen at Salvation Army. I now keep my wineglasses safe by using cheap can cozzies. One over the bowl, one over the stem, then into a basket stood up so they alternate. Works great

Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote