Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #1

Best way to watch movies? Latest and Greatest?

Well as we move to the completely digital era, what are you guys that are tech-savvy doing instead of DVDs and Blue Rays? I want to add a nice LED TV to my motorhome bedroom with hopes of being able to wirelessly transmit movies from my laptop that are saved from a hard drive. Something along those lines. What's out there? Thanks
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you are using an Apple device you can connect wirelessly using Apple TV through Airplay.

With Windows if you have Windows 7 or later you can broadcast wirelessly using; Miracast, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon FireTV, etc..
The advantage to the Amazon Fire products like Apple TV is you can add apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc..

I use the cheaper Fire Stick as I don't need voice control provided by Fire TV.

I like the old TV shows on Hulu. Rematching McHales Navy on Hulu currently.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:36 AM   #3

I checking out my Panasonic tv's ability to play movies stored on a USB thumb drive.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:15 AM   #4

I have a chromcast device that casts netflix at home via my home WiFi. The problem with any on the road entertainment is WiFi. Most parks don't have the bandwidth for receiving movies. MiFi devices will work but since they use cellular networks, will be expensive for receiving more than one or two movies a month.

Sat TV is probably the most used entertainment media. It is pretty cheap especially if you have a home setup.

On our boat we had DirecTV and a library of DVD's for entertainment. We used our MiFi unit for internet access but not for watching movies.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You could also look at Smart TVs. A smart TV would allow you to use your laptop without devices like Fire or Miracast.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Given the limited bandwidth of park wifi's and even though I COULD do it over our jetpack, We choose to do the Redbox rentals...

Cheap, just about everywhere and new enough when we want to stay in on a rainy day or don't want to watch directv from the Sat.

(course there's always movie rentals on the sat that can be done too - not as cheap as a bluray from redbox, but ez enough to do from the recliner!)
Old 06-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
My DirecTV Genie saves a lot of movies that can be seen on any of my MH's 4 LED or LCD TV's and 2 of them are Smart TV's(55"-26"). Movies are downloaded on the FREE weekends of the prime movies.

And I have found some campgrounds do have fast and enough bandwidth to watch movies on my Smart TV's from Amazon Prime after most people have went to bed.

At present campground now.
http://testmy.net/DBwuG8hU4.png

Where I am at now. On Tuesdays the local movie theater has a special early time senior $5 price. On new releases.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
I have a Western Digital TV box and a 3 terabyte hard drive almost full of movies. Works good for us. I also have mine set up so it can be watched while driving.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Regardless of what the various devices available to watch TV are called - they virtually all come back to one of two underlying technologies. They're either a satellite technology broadcast system (Dish, DirecTV, etc.) - or they rely on having a connection to the internet. Internet connectivity on the road comes via three technologies - WiFi connection from your RV to somebody's wired internet connections (campground WiFi systems fall into this category), your own cellular based internet connection (Jetpacks and hotspots fall into this category) or a satellite service.

Campground WiFi is too unreliable to count on ... it's great if it's working, but don't hold your breath! Cellular based connectivity can work pretty reliably - but, depending on your data plan, it can get stoopid expensive if you're planning on streaming movies and such! (Sure ... there are some cheap plans available out there ... but typically those are from carriers with a limited coverage footprint. If you find one that covers where you plan to be .. you're in luck. If you need a carrier that has wider coverage (like Verizon) ... bring your wallet!!! Satellite connectivity is pretty much a niche market ... expensive hardware, expensive data plans .... but may be your only option in the more remote areas of the country.

That said - our approach is pretty simple. Wineguard Traveller for DirecTV on the roof, connected to a HD DVR. Being that we're already paying for DirecTV at home - the incremental cost to us was a $199 one time charge for the HD DVR plus a $7 per month charge for having an extra DVR on the account. We get everything we get at home except the local channels. We either watch DirecTV in "real time" ... or we watch something we've recorded on the DVR. (To that end - we try to keep the DVR pretty full of programming we're interested in ... recorded whenever we do have good satellite reception. We just have to remember to keep whatever is on the DVR as "fresh" as we can - so that there's something new to watch even when we're parked somewhere that we can't get an "unobstructed view" with the satellite.

We also have a cellular internet connectivity (via a Cradlepoint router provisioned on the Verizon cellular network - along with a Weboost Drive 4G-X signal booster). We have yet to find ourselves without internet connectivity with this setup - but can/do incur some pretty hefty data plan charges if we're not careful about how we use it. We typically go thru 15GB-20GB per month for 3 cell phones and the router connection (which I use to work my day gig from the road along with any personal browsing we do). We minimize watching even short video clips while browsing to the extent possible - and NEVER stream movies like Netflix, etc.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If as the OP states he wants to wirelessly transmit movies from is hard drive to his TV then no internet is needed. Simply broadcast from laptop to TV.

Connect FireTV, AppleTV, Miracast etc... to the TV. Buy a cheap wireless router, create a network within the RV, make sure laptop and TV device are connected to that network, then broadcast to the TV from the laptop's hard drive.

easy peasy
Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
If you are using an Apple device you can connect wirelessly using Apple TV through Airplay.

With Windows if you have Windows 7 or later you can broadcast wirelessly using; Miracast, Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon FireTV, etc..
The advantage to the Amazon Fire products like Apple TV is you can add apps like Netflix, Hulu, etc..

I use the cheaper Fire Stick as I don't need voice control provided by Fire TV.

I like the old TV shows on Hulu. Rematching McHales Navy on Hulu currently.
Let me see if I understand the routing of the information.

I connect to the internet via my computer.

I use a Windows program to turn my computer in to wifi hot spot.
How to Turn Your Windows PC Into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

I then connect e.g. Amazon Fire TV to my computer.

I can then view services like Amazon Fire TV or Sling TV.

Or I can watch a movie that is recorded on my hard drive.

Is that all correct? I'm looking into options to Dish/Direct TV. Sling TV looks good.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Let me see if I understand the routing of the information.

I connect to the internet via my computer.

I use a Windows program to turn my computer in to wifi hot spot.
How to Turn Your Windows PC Into a Wi-Fi Hotspot

I then connect e.g. Amazon Fire TV to my computer.

I can then view services like Amazon Fire TV or Sling TV.

Or I can watch a movie that is recorded on my hard drive.

Is that all correct? I'm looking into options to Dish/Direct TV. Sling TV looks good.
Yes that would work but if you do not have reliable internet just connect both the laptop and TV device (Fire Stick, Miracast, Chrome Cast, etc..) to your router in your MH and you can broadcast from laptop to TV without any connection to the internet.

FireStick is cheaper than FireTv, FireTV includes voice controlled remote, Fire Stick doesn't. Fire Stic is a better option than Miracast as it has far more options and both allow you to broadcast from laptop to TV.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Yes that would work but if you do not have reliable internet just connect both the laptop and TV device (Fire Stick, Miracast, Chrome Cast, etc..) to your router in your MH and you can broadcast from laptop to TV without any connection to the internet.

FireStick is cheaper than FireTv, FireTV includes voice controlled remote, Fire Stick doesn't. Fire Stic is a better option than Miracast as it has far more options and both allow you to broadcast from laptop to TV.
For me the issue is the router. I don't have one.
Thanks
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
For me the issue is the router. I don't have one.
Thanks
They are cheap, here is an example

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Route...ds=wifi+router

Tags
test