Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman50th View Post
I read every one of these and try and store them in my feeble brain. I'm very careful because I don't consider myself an expert. My wife and I use those Motorola Walkie Talkies and she talks me back. After reading this I'm going to work us up some hand signals to use also.

Good idea for Hand Signals......

But.... we like Arm Signals much better. Its tough to see those wiggling fingers from 40 feet away.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Cool

Thanks again for all the helpful comments, especially FIRE_UP with the photos you posted. I'm sorry this happened to you, but it made me feel a little better. I haven't taken the coach in for an estimate yet, since we got hit by a deep freeze in Calgary right after I got the bad news about compensation. It is currently snowbound in an RV storage lot, but at least the damage is well-covered with plastic sheeting for now. No telling what the cost will be, but the fibreglass bumper cover is separate from the rest of the end cap, so I hope it will be well short of $7000 (gulp!). The other challenge may be to find a repair shop that can get the replacement part to fit a 2007 Mirada. I also need a new tail light lens cap, as I noticed one was missing shortly after the incident.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	80446  

Old 12-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #17

Yep. Even with my wife directing me, I'll still get out and look (GOAL) several times. I may see something she missed.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
I have had guys try to back me and took offence when I declined their help. Only one can back our rv....my DW!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #19

ricardocana
In addition, we should all carry "collision insurance" which covers the damage, (less a deductible), if we HIT A POST with our coach.......AND "comprehensive insurance" in case a post HITS OUR COACH!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Good idea for Hand Signals......
But.... we like Arm Signals much better. Its tough to see those wiggling fingers from 40 feet away.
deandec
Where I come from "hand signals" are "arm signals".
Mel
Old 12-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
deandec
Where I come from "hand signals" are "arm signals".
Mel
My campground entertainment observatons and research seems to indicate that 78.375% of rver's rely on the limp wrist or finger waggling variety.

Glad we are on the same page.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
FIRE_UP, I see that they removed the whole damaged rear end cap. Were they able to do a decent fibreglass repair on it that had a pretty good match, or did they end up replacing the cap?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #23

You are the captain of your ship. After a couple of minor scrapes and one pretty serious crunch, only my wife and I drive the coach and she backs up and I direct. You sometimes learn the hard way.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 12-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardocana View Post
FIRE_UP, I see that they removed the whole damaged rear end cap. Were they able to do a decent fibreglass repair on it that had a pretty good match, or did they end up replacing the cap?
ricardocana,
Well Sir, a short story. When I did that to our coach, I immediately thought the worse case scenario. I thought we'd have to order a new rear cap from Winnebago and, it would be a pain in the a$$. I did a tad bit of research into who would be the best in the area for such a repair. It ended up being SAN DIEGO RV CENTER. I took the coach down for an estimate. While speaking with shop foreman, I made a comment about ordering up a completely new rear cap.

His response, "You don't want to do that". "We will not do it". The primary reason for this was, he stated that a component that big, will be guaranteed to be damaged on it's route to San Diego from Forrest City IA. And, because of that, they'd have to repair it, even before they could install it. And, he added, it would take no less than 15-17 weeks for the cap to be made and shipped to San Diego. He'd seen it several times in the past. So, he said, "your damage is not nearly as bad as you think and, we've had waaaaaaaaaaay worse in here.".

So, he stated that his crew would pull the rear cap off, repair it from the inside and make it stronger than it was when it was new. Then, the cap would be replaced and, all the cosmetic matching, complete repaint and graphics matching would then be done.

Well, when we first saw it right after the work was completed which, took a total of 3 weeks, neither my wife or I could believe what we saw. The work that was done on the back of that coach, the matching paint IN FOUR DIFFERENT COLOR SCHEMES, was/is PHENOMENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, it's EXACTLY A MATCH. My jaw dropped. According to the shop foreman, they didn't even use Winnebago/Itasca paint numbers for the individual colors used on that rear cap.

Their painters, mixed up colors, added in potential "fade" characteristics, and shot that cap. Man, without a doubt, it's by far, the best repair in fiberglass work and paint matching I've ever seen.

I was told by several folks who'd had there' "Oops's" fixed by them, prior to us even getting an estimate that, the work that was done there is TOP KNOTCH! So, we simply just had them do it. And, there's been no regrets what so ever. Every time I look at the rear of it, and remember how badly "I" damaged it, and what it looks like now, it amazes me, EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, I envy all these guys who have a wife who can back them up. In over twenty years driving buses of all types the only time I hit anything backing up was with my wife directing me.

I arranged for her to be professionally trained to drive our RV, but she just isn't comfortable doing so. It must be really great to have a constant copilot you trust so much, as well as someone who didn't perceive giving hand signals as an opportunity for artistic self expression.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Wow, I envy all these guys who have a wife who can back them up. In over twenty years driving buses of all types the only time I hit anything backing up was with my wife directing me.

I arranged for her to be professionally trained to drive our RV, but she just isn't comfortable doing so. It must be really great to have a constant copilot you trust so much, as well as someone who didn't perceive giving hand signals as an opportunity for artistic self expression.
Raining Star,
You are not alone in that scenario Sir. There a thousands of wives out there in RV land that won't get caught dead behind the wheel of their coaches. Over the time we've been associated with RVs and recreational camping etc., I'd bet at least 20-25% of the wives I've known, REFUSE to learn how to drive their rigs. And, as far as the OP and his thread here is concerned, many of those same wives, also DO NOT HELP when it comes time to help their husbands in critical or even not so critical predicaments.

I've tried to convey to many of these wives that, they really should learn how to drive their rigs, handle them in most all driving situations and, get involved in helping to coordinate parking, backing and more. Many replied, "Nope, it's not my job, it's his THING". I said you never know when your husband/boyfriend might get sick, have a heart problem, get hurt (been there done that, more than once) and more.

So, if you're in that kind of a situation where the "better half" just does not want to assist in kind of important matters, well, it is what it is and, you just have to deal with it. If it means getting out of the drivers seat several times while backing into a camp spot or, in a parking lot etc., then you're gonna get some exercise.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
People laugh

When my wife guides me into our spot at the campground people point and laugh. We don't care what they think. Never had a accident yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	80526  

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #28

Interesting concept being discussed. How's this compare to the OP?

Got tires installed on my MH and was directed into the truck slab by an old guy...and directed out by him, too. Angle, as the drainage part of the curb was somewhat severe.

Second time there (for a re-balance), same guy directed me in/out. At the time I noticed that short, heavy, guy was doing the balancing.

Third time back, the short, heavy guy directed me...not at an angle, but into a new position. I asked about clearance and he just motioned me to, "C'mon, c'mon", so I backed at his signals and bottomed out, causing damage to the front cap that had just be re-painting two weeks prior.

The tire store cast blame onto the City for not fixing the drainage curb. I have contacted the city, but expect to take both the City and the Store to court. What are my chances? This is not the first time that people have had their vehicles damaged in that spot, from what I hear.

Tags
claim, damage, directions, hand signals, insurance, liability, parking, warning