Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
The tire store cast blame onto the City for not fixing the drainage curb. I have contacted the city, but expect to take both the City and the Store to court. What are my chances? This is not the first time that people have had their vehicles damaged in that spot, from what I hear.
bamaboy473
IMO taking the City to court MAY result in the city fixing the drainage curb ....but I doubt very much that anyone, (except you and/or your insurance company), will be paying to fix your damaged front cap, the cost of bringing suit and your attorney's fees, (and probably the fees of both the City's and the Shop's attorneys as well).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
...I NEVER allow anyone to back me into a site, not even my wife...

AMEN.

This is an aspect of driving a motor home that I have never understood. I have mirrors that allow me to see down each side of the coach. I have a camera that gives me a wide angle view directly to the rear. Why do I need someone on the ground "directing" me when I back up? I have backed our coach into tight RV park spots, backed it up with a trailer into parking spots, backed it up to hook up the trailer and have never, ever used someone on the ground to direct the moves.

I'll get out and walk around the coach to get the lay of the land in a tight spot, but it is ultimately my responsibility to make the move.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #31

And if you do get out to check it out for yourself, please remember to put the coach in Park. Was backing out with a 20' enclosed trailer attached once and forgot to put it in Park....when I opened to door to check I realized the coach was creeping in reverse. Ran to jump behind the wheel to hit the brake and yes....I nailed the accelerator! Did a nice job on the side of my adjacently parked truck! Good grief........
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Learn how to use mirrors and a backup camera. If you are proficient at these, you will not need anyone giving you hand signals, regardless of how "proficient"they are.

Mirrors and cameras don't lie, learn how to use them.

I never use anyone's help - solely use mirrors and camera and have never had a problem.

It's all about becoming more skilled, watch big rig drivers back in, doubtful you'll see them using hand signals, and they don't even have cameras on the back of their trailers.

Find a big empty lot and PRACTICE! It will save you a lot of money and aggravation!

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
AMEN.

This is an aspect of driving a motor home that I have never understood. I have mirrors that allow me to see down each side of the coach. I have a camera that gives me a wide angle view directly to the rear. Why do I need someone on the ground "directing" me when I back up? I have backed our coach into tight RV park spots, backed it up with a trailer into parking spots, backed it up to hook up the trailer and have never, ever used someone on the ground to direct the moves.

I'll get out and walk around the coach to get the lay of the land in a tight spot, but it is ultimately my responsibility to make the move.

And AMEN to that. I back my 40' DP into my storage spot using only mirrors and camera regularly - no spotters or hand signals, just me; and there is 12" to 18" clearance on either sides where other Motorhomes are parked.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Many cudo's to those who have the skill to back into tight situations unassisted!

But beware..... remember that when kids are playing in the area, the situation can change from the time you start your walk back to the driver seat to when you begin your moves. The cameras and mirrors do not disclose all the terrain behind your wheels.

Having a spotter in your mirror when backing could save someone from injury or death.

I learned this from working with professional drivers who had to meet the parents of unlucky kids.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Many cudo's to those who have the skill to back into tight situations unassisted!

But beware..... remember that when kids are playing in the area, the situation can change from the time you start your walk back to the driver seat to when you begin your moves. The cameras and mirrors do not disclose all the terrain behind your wheels.

Having a spotter in your mirror when backing could save someone from injury or death.

I learned this from working with professional drivers who had to meet the parents of unlucky kids.
X2...put your egos aside it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes out there, no matter how good you are. You don't need to necessarily follow their directions but as posted above in my career I have responded to the accidents where "professional" drivers didn't see something in their mirrors and had fatal accidents. Even though it wasn't necessarily their fault they all could have been avoided. We are all out there to have fun and nobody wants to start their vacations denting their MH or worse. I can and have backed into those tight spots before alone, but if my wife is back there watching for the unexpected better yet. Life can change in a moments notice- If it's predictable it's preventable.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sorry but I think too much of my wife to put her in that position. I really don't pay too much attention to those who might want to help.

I did accept help one time as to how far forward I was when parking here, 125' drop to the beach

See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #37

Is that just south of San Francisco, looks where we tried to stay one time, but the parking spot was too short and they told me to just back closer to the cliff....we went somewhere else.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
As a woodworker, the old adage of "measure twice, cut once" has its interpretation in backing a MH. I am fairly comfortable with following DW's hand signals, but I ALWAYS first get out of the coach and survey the area before beginning to park. So far, so good, and we've been campers for 41 years. My biggest concern is in the rare instance when I have to back into a space at night; I will get out and re-survey 2-3 times during the process. It's hard to follow wife's visual signals at night due to poor visibility, and it's hard for her to watch both sides of the coach at the same time.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Is that just south of San Francisco, looks where we tried to stay one time, but the parking spot was too short and they told me to just back closer to the cliff....we went somewhere else.
Fourth Cliff a little south of Boston a retired WWII Gun emplacement. If you could only imagine my surprise when I found out I was parked almost dead center on top of the north gun emplacement.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
X2...put your egos aside it never hurts to have an extra set of eyes out there...

The statements I made about backing up unassisted have nothing to do with ego. They have to do with simply being proficient at handling a 40-foot vehicle in all driving situations.

I am often on the road alone in my motor home when I travel for business. I am constantly amazed reading posts here from drivers who say they are afraid when driving their motor homes, who won't drive at night, won't drive in the rain, won't back up without help, who refer to driving their motor homes as a "white knuckle" experience, etc. A little more practice and some learning would go a long way to allay those fears. It would also allow you to enjoy the motor home life style more and make you a better driver in the process.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 AM   #41

sound advice palehorse, i do the same thing
Old 12-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #42

I also only rely primarily on myself and my mirrors and cameras. But my wife keeps an eye out mainly for the one dead spot I have and that's the top rear of the coach. She makes sure I don't back into a low hanging branch. And yes I walk the spot first but she uses her hands to tell me how close I am to the branch.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
claim, damage, directions, hand signals, insurance, liability, parking, warning