Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
The statements I made about backing up unassisted have nothing to do with ego. They have to do with simply being proficient at handling a 40-foot vehicle in all driving situations.

I am often on the road alone in my motor home when I travel for business. I am constantly amazed reading posts here from drivers who say they are afraid when driving their motor homes, who won't drive at night, won't drive in the rain, won't back up without help, who refer to driving their motor homes as a "white knuckle" experience, etc. A little more practice and some learning would go a long way to allay those fears. It would also allow you to enjoy the motor home life style more and make you a better driver in the process.
Rich-n-Linda
Driving some motor homes at highway speeds can be a"white knuckle" experience for anyone with any common sense, no matter how great they think they are, or claim to be to be... (and IS, unless they are a fool, or a "know-it-all").
Unfortunately ego often trumps common sense.

BTW, whether to drive at night or in the rain is a personal choice, (aka: not a decision any know-it-all can make for others).

Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #44

My carreer as a truck driver defenatley helps when backing the rv into a tight spot. I dont need someone s help but I appreciate and always want someone back there for the added insurance. When ever backing into a site I always ask dw to stand back there in mirror view. I ask that she does not direct me with any hand gestures, just stand there and watch the master do his thing and if im about to hit something.....scream!!! dance jump wave hands..... if someone else tries to help I ignore all his direction except for the most important. .....stop!!!!! When done I thank him her. Bottom line is u are responsible dont let someone 40 ft away take over your steering wheel but watch the spotter incase he alerts you to an unforseen obstacle. The spotter will see a running child long before your mirrors or cameras do.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #45

Beware following hand signals when parking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Rich-n-Linda
Driving some motor homes at highway speeds can be a"white knuckle" experience for anyone with any common sense, no matter how great they think they are, or claim to be to be... (and IS, unless they are a fool, or a "know-it-all").
Unfortunately ego often trumps common sense.

BTW, whether to drive at night or in the rain is a personal choice, (aka: not a decision any know-it-all can make for others).

Mel
'96 Safari

Are you insinuating that because I don't need someone to direct me backing up I am a know-it-all fool with no common sense? Or that because I actually ENJOY driving my motor home I am a know-it-all fool with no common sense?

It would seem to me that if driving a motor home is indeed a "white knuckle experience" then common sense might indicate that maybe you shouldn't be driving the thing in the first place. But of course, that's just me, a know-it-all fool with no common sense talking.

Look, I'm not trying to portray myself as some know-it-all motor home owner/driver. All I'm saying is that from my observations (here and on the road) there seem to be a lot of drivers who are not comfortable driving or backing their motor homes. A little more practice and additional education in how to drive these things could go a long way to lift the competency level of ALL of us.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #46

Common sense??
A couple of spotters covering my back, bring them on!!
Otherwise, believe me, I can do it alone, just slower...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Are you insinuating that because I don't need someone to direct me backing up I am a know-it-all fool with no common sense?
Rich-n-Linda
I did not intend to insinuate anything about you personally.
I apologize if you got that impression.
Sorry.

However, I will say these 6 things about every know-it-all fool with no common sense that I have met and dealt with:
1.) They don't know when they're wrong because that's just NOT possible.
2.) Facts confuse them... because their minds are made up!
3.) They can do no wrong... (and they can do it better and faster than anyone else).
4.) They never have to ask anyone for advice, (or an opinion), about any subject... because to find the most intelligent person, (and the only person they believe in and trust), they can simply look in the nearest mirror.
5.) They don't know that they're a know-it-all.
6.) They NEVER know if/when someone figures them out because... (as every know-it-all KNOWS)... all other people are stupid.

I think we all know someone like that...in fact, we Rvers often pay $120 an hour for their "expert? advice" and/or for their "expert? mechanical work".

Happy backing.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Rich-n-Linda
I did not intend to insinuate anything about you personally.
I apologize if you got that impression.
Sorry.
Thanks, Mel.

You post here often and I have read a lot of your posts. That one seemed out of character for you. I'm glad I was wrong on this one!

As for your description of know-it-alls, I laughed out loud at a couple of the items on your list. I do indeed know someone like this. In his entire life I don't think he has ever uttered the words. "I don't know..."
Old 12-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
. In his entire life I don't think he has ever uttered the words. "I don't know..."
Could he be just a VERY confident person.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #50

Just like the guy who claims to kniw everything but greek...

When they are confused they state...

"Looks greek to me..."
Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A long while back I came across a website that had pictures of various hand signals. Maybe a truck site. Dunno, can't find it again.

Maybe some clever person could post some pics of hand signals ?
Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
A long while back I came across a website that had pictures of various hand signals. Maybe a truck site. Dunno, can't find it again.

Maybe some clever person could post some pics of hand signals ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1419145440.313039.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	81536

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
claim, damage, directions, hand signals, insurance, liability, parking, warning