Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
One of the Goodyear tires on my brand new coach was damaged due to a small cover falling off. The coach manufacture said to get it replaced and send them the bill. I found that Purcell Tire Company was the Goodyear dealer in Las Vegas. I called and talked to Hector, he informed that they had them in stock. When they were installing the tire I asked Hector if they could do it without scratching the rim, and was assured that they could. When the work was done there were many deep scratches in the rim. Hector said he could take some off of the bill and I told him that the coach manufacture was paying the bill so that wouldn't help me. He then told me to get it fixed and send him the bill, as he didn't know where to get it fixed himself. I could not find anyone at home that was willing to come out and do one wheel. While I was in Oxnard at a friends business, he said the had someone that did all of his polishing. He gets a lot of polishing done as he is in the trucking business and has race cars. I had his polished do the work and give me a receipt. I sent it to the Las Vegas store and got no reply. After a few calls I talked to, Stan Wach, the manager and was told that they would not pay for the repair as the receipt was no good because it was hand written and he didn't consider it a bill from a business. I was not told ahead of time about any requirements for the type of bill. I didn't even know ahead of time when I got the work done that the polisher didn't have a printed receipt. I also gave them a copy of the polishers business card so that they could call him and verify the work done. If you are planning on getting any tires put on by Purcell Tire company and you have aluminum rims be aware that they may damage your rims and then not be willing to do anything more than to take a few dollars off of your bill, leaving you with the problems of how to fix the damage yourself.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
One of the Goodyear tires on my brand new coach was damaged due to a small cover falling off. The coach manufacture said to get it replaced and send them the bill. I found that Purcell Tire Company was the Goodyear dealer in Las Vegas. I called and talked to Hector, he informed that they had them in stock. When they were installing the tire I asked Hector if they could do it without scratching the rim, and was assured that they could. When the work was done there were many deep scratches in the rim. Hector said he could take some off of the bill and I told him that the coach manufacture was paying the bill so that wouldn't help me. He then told me to get it fixed and send him the bill, as he didn't know where to get it fixed himself. I could not find anyone at home that was willing to come out and do one wheel. While I was in Oxnard at a friends business, he said the had someone that did all of his polishing. He gets a lot of polishing done as he is in the trucking business and has race cars. I had his polished do the work and give me a receipt. I sent it to the Las Vegas store and got no reply. After a few calls I talked to, Stan Wach, the manager and was told that they would not pay for the repair as the receipt was no good because it was hand written and he didn't consider it a bill from a business. I was not told ahead of time about any requirements for the type of bill. I didn't even know ahead of time when I got the work done that the polisher didn't have a printed receipt. I also gave them a copy of the polishers business card so that they could call him and verify the work done. If you are planning on getting any tires put on by Purcell Tire company and you have aluminum rims be aware that they may damage your rims and then not be willing to do anything more than to take a few dollars off of your bill, leaving you with the problems of how to fix the damage yourself.

Dale

Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up. Don't you love it when a business screws up your property, then double talks and lies to you to avoid taking responsibility?

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Unfortunately for Purcell, the State of Nevada is still a pretty "small town" when it comes to word of bad things happening. Thanks for the heads up. Even though we don't get to Vegas very often we travel through once or twice a year.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
A good moto to live by, don't get mad, get even.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Just for information sake, Purcell Tire Company is a national Company. I did fax a letter of complaint to the corp. offices and got no response, so I guess that is how they do business everywhere.

Dale
Old 09-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale;
I know just how you feel. I took my coach to a reputable tire dealer here in Wis. They are supposed to change tires from the back side and put the polished side on clean cardboard or something non abrasive. When I got home one of my front wheels was scratched up. I have been able to polish them but the scratches remain.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Dale, it might be worthwhile to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They actually try to mediate these disputes as a go between. I had a situation with an RV dealer in Florida and the BBB got results for me. You can file online.

Darryl Howell
Smyrna GA
Old 09-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Darryl,

Very good sugestion, not sure why I didn't think of if having been in business my self. I will do that when I get home.

Thanks Dale
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Darryl,

I am afraid that some companies care so little that they won't even respond to a BBB complaint. I filed the complaint as you suggested, months ago and just got a letter back from the BBB that Purcell tire company wouldn't even respond. Tire buyers be warned.

Dale
Old 11-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #11

Dale, this sounds like the perfect situation for small claims court. You have jumped through all the necessary hoops, and have given them aquadate time to respond. I had to file in small claims court when a window shutter company tried to screw me over. It took about $50 and an afternoon to file the case, but when the marshall pounded on the door and delivered the court summons, they finally realized that I was serious. It is definitely worth it. Small claims court here in Ca has a $5000 limit on recovery.

I would hardily recommend filing suit. You have a good case, and at the very worst you make them show up and explain their lack of response in court. Just get lots of names, dates and times of who you talked to, what they said, and all the letters and phone calls you made. Then go for it..........

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Side note: Make sure you don't use steel/lead wheel weights on your aluminum rims unless they're the "stick on" (3M VHB double coated tape). Lead in contact with aluminum = corrosion. (Galvanic - dissimilar metals)

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote