Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Beyond Waxing!

The white sides on our 11 year old motor home need more than a good wax job to restore any kind of a shine! Any ideas?

Stano

Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #2

No, but I'm hoping you get some good answers!

becida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #3

Oxidation, a good cleaner wax,buffer and a lot of work it.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use polishing compound to restore the finish if it is heavily oxidized. Using an orbital buffer makes the job easier.
TR-3 Resin Glaze is a good product if it is not too heavily oxidized.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
The white sides on our 11 year old motor home need more than a good wax job to restore any kind of a shine! Any ideas?

Stano
First, I am assuming it is a fiberglass surface and not paint.

There are a couple of ways to approach this. Using a cleaner wax with a random orbital buffer will give you some improvement but, only for a short while.

If you where to see a cross section of your fiberglass, the outer surface would be rough, sort of like a mountain range. That is why it has no shine. Cleaner waxes knock off the "peaks" and fill the valleys with wax. While this has a certain amount of shine to it, in short order, the wax breaks down and you are looking at a rough dull surface again.

A better way, with more work involved, is to use a compound with a rotary buffer to buff the fiberglass smooth. Then a protective layer of quality wax, Collinite is a good choice, will give you a much shinier and long lasting finish. A new coat of wax every 6 months is relatively easy to apply and keeps it looking good.

I have a 25 year old boat that I recently buffed out. Using the second method resulted in an amazing transformation. It looks like it is brand new boat. Using the first method before gave marginally results that were temporary.

I basically boils down to "How much effort do I want to make?"

A painted coach is an entirely different matter. If the paint is still in decent shape, you can compound it with a random orbital buffer and wax it to get good results. If the paint is fried - you don't want to know the solution.
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a 2000 Fleetwood Flair and each year we use a product called Poli Glow..it comes in a kit for about $75.00...applicator and all...address is Poli Glow Products, 3780 Oleander Ave., Ft. Pierce, Fl. 34982-6503....Its very easy to apply, just takes time depending on how long the m/h is...but you can stop and restart where you left off...one bottle is the cleaner and takes off all of the oxidation possible by just wiping it on and then the actual product goes on the same way..the first time we did it we were amazed at how good it worked...plus, you usually only have to rinse off the mh every once and a while...has a really great shine to it too...We do it once a year now...well worth the money...
Old 04-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

I wash my old rig with a heavy mixture of bleach and water with a touch of dish soap, so I can see where I am brushing. It takes three five gallon buckets to wash my rig, the mix I use is like 1/3 bleach to water. The bleach cuts road grim and leaves a shine that will last several weeks....
Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #8

A micro fiber towel (with gloves) and ZEP floor finish (at least three light applications) is also something that will make'r shine. Let it dry an hour or so between coats.

Works great for hardwood floors too. pc
Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the poly glow. Its made for fiberglass finishes and is not just a floor wax. The kit comes with oxidation removers and poly glow applicators.

Cleaning and removing oxidation is the key, otherwise you will be just making the oxidation shine.

PoliGlow - An End to Boat Wax 800-206-3305
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A friend in the fiberglass canoe business refurbishes older faded canoes with a product called Penetrol. Fiberglass gel coat is porous and Penetrol seals the pores. Used it on an older power boat and it had excellent results. I just tried it yesterday in a small area on our recently purchased 1997 and it is making the fiberglass look almost new. Available in Lowe-s and Home depot for $9.97 a can which will do a whole rig. I considered using ZEP, but didn't want to do all the prep work.
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Go to a marina or marine store and find out what works there. A fiberglass boat that sits in the water 24/7, is normally in worse shape than our MHs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Go to a marina or marine store and find out what works there. A fiberglass boat that sits in the water 24/7, is normally in worse shape than our MHs.
Cat is right... I have a 1997 41 ft. boat that I spent the last 2 days getting ready for the water. For the initial cleaning, I used "Awesome", which is available at your local Dollar store. I mix it with Dawn dish detergent and water. It cleans amazingly well for such a cheap product and removes black streaks easily. I then move on to Meguire's cleaner wax, which is available just about anywhere car cleaner products are sold. Wipe on, buff off.

Btw, Meguire's sells an RV/boat version (in a blue bottle). Costs twice as much as the car version (maroon bottle) and the exact same stuff inside.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I second the rv boat version of meguires. They make an oxidation remover that works great with a rotary buffer. After that use their polish and then their wax. Lot of work but it will glow like new.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I then move on to Meguire's cleaner wax, which is available just about anywhere car cleaner products are sold. Wipe on, buff off.

Btw, Meguire's sells an RV/boat version (in a blue bottle). Costs twice as much as the car version (maroon bottle) and the exact same stuff inside.
Working on tub # 2 of Mequire's cleaner wax to finish mine…one more side to go!

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote