Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #1

big big disapointment!!!!!!!

So, last week I finally purchsed a shelter for my rv and I started to put It together and got to the point that all I need Is to put the cover on, the all frame was put together all level and square, It was looking great untill a white pick up truck pulls in to the parking lot of my bussiness and tells me that I need to stop and that I need a permit so first thing In the morning went to town hall and tryed to get a permit and I was told that I can not put the shelter up on a comercial property, but I also own the property next door that Is a residential property then they tell me that I would have to go for a verience and I could only have It up for the sumer from April 1st to october 30th, so I just told them to forget the all thing and I was going to take It down then he tells me that by law I can't have an rv that big parked in my property, buttom line Is that I fell like kicking somebody you guys know where right so now I have a $2400.00 shelter that I can not use, now I just hope that they don't tell me that I need to move the rv out of there, Its not fare that you own the property and pay tax up the wazoo here in new jersy and you can't use It the way you want to, thanks Joe.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a shame. Did the company that sold you the shelter ask you if you needed a permit before you placed your order? The company we bought ours from did.

If you want to try to sell the shelter, please list it in our Classifieds.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

Quote:
then he tells me that by law I can't have an rv that big parked in my (commercial) property
NOW, this is meant PURELY for humor - so don't anyone get their undies in a bunch!

Seems you have 2 options:

1. Park your RV over at Walmart - no such laws apply for their commercial property, or...

2. Rename your business Walmart - the same logic applies...

Just humor folks...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 AM   #4

Really sorry to hear that!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Move to Texas. You can do just about anything you want to do there.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
Move to Texas. You can do just about anything you want to do there.
Oh, you are so very wrong. I just completed building a "auxiliary" building to house our RV among other things this past March. It took me from June of the previous year. I ran a thread on this site which detailed all of my woes while doing it

There may unincorporated parts of Texas where the building regulations are somewhat lax. In the DFW area, every city seems to have developed its own version of "protecting property values." Most of it is stupid and irrelevant concerning property values.

It could have it worse... I could have an HOA, too.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Oh, you are so very wrong. I just completed building a "auxiliary" building to house our RV among other things this past March. It took me from June of the previous year. I ran a thread on this site which detailed all of my woes while doing it

There may unincorporated parts of Texas where the building regulations are somewhat lax. In the DFW area, every city seems to have developed its own version of "protecting property values." Most of it is stupid and irrelevant concerning property values.

It could have it worse... I could have an HOA, too.
You obviously don't know Bubba down at the License, Inspection, and Animal Control office. A well placed case of Lone Star would have "greased" the process!!

ps You're right about HOA's. I have one and have to "board" my 5r at a storage facility.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #8

Attach it to your house

BUILD YOUR SHELTER FOR YOUR MOTORHOME ATTACHED TO YOUR HOUSE. Attached means a breezeway (roof over walk). Forget the temporary shelter and sell it. There are no laws about a garage to stop you.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #9

I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye - something significant we're NOT being told...

Such as that the proposed storage/parking site interferes with existing emergency or utility easement access - or fails to meet clearly published clearance/setback zoning guidelines.

Otherwise, discrimination in THIS case, while other similar business are allowed to freely allow oversize vehicle parking on commercial property seems radically discriminatory. RV repair/storage facilities - open to the general public - constantly have large RV's parked on their premises waiting service - and commercial businesses that require their own large mobile service vehicles, park them on their commercial property after hours and weekends with no harassment.

Then, of course, there's the Walmarts, Cracker Barrels and flying J...

Unless there's some relatively easily ($$$) obtained zoning varience available for folks like the OP - and all other clearly established zoning rules are not being violated - I'd be asking city hall some serious and pointed questions...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #10

Too bad they're not around

Too bad Tony and Paulie aren't around anymore. You have to forget about Vito.

About those taxes. I think we have your beat here on Long Island.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #11

Talking about Long Island. NY. I rented one of those containers to store my garage items in while I built some shelves and resurfaced the floor. It was placed in my Driveway in front of the Garage on my property. I got a visit from the Towns building department informing me it had better be moved within a week or I was in violation of some code. This was while all the TV stations advertised those Pods or other brand storage things. I had rented one of the steel cargo containers. Too hard to fight so I complied.
The "Town Representative" even started to go after my Corvette under a cover in the driveway, he said it must be Registered, Inspected and Insured It was all three just kept under cover when not used.
Good thing I rent a space in a Storage Yard nearby and just bring it home to load or unload or wash.
Robert
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #12

The other reason, the main one, is everyone is conditioned to do as they are told. At least when my big mouth gets going everyone runs and hides. Afraid to be associated with me. You can't put your motorhome on your property because some Hitlerite regime has everyone cowed. Things were not like this 30-40 years ago. At least not where I live for the past 62 years. People have to be like Adolf Coors or his heirs. His plant in Golden is all TEMPORARY (prefab). Mess with Coors and they'll pack it all up along with the jobs. At least that's what I was told years ago. Or was it last week? Well, it was something like that.

If you attach your motorhome garage to your house they will not be able to stop you.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am probably going to get my chops busted here, but there are good reasons to have zoning and building codes. And that is to protect property values by prohibiting buildings that the general public may not feel are in charactor with other buildings in the area or structures that may not meet local wind, snow or seismec loads. Your right to build what you want doesn't automatically trump someone elses right to expect some level of orderly development. I am not talking about building a small deck without a permit, but putting up what could be a cheap (compared to stick built construction) looking plastic or corrugated metal shelter that could be 12'x14'x40'. Now I don't know what your neighborhood looks like, and a portable shelter might be typical, but where I live, I can't park my RV in my own yard more than a week without being cited by my neighborhood association. And I am glad because other wise my street would be trailers, commercial trucks, boats and RV's from end to end and that is not what I or the majority of my neighbors want. You know, the majority rules in our democratic society. And that means you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.

I feel bad for you that you spent $2400 without checking to see if that type of shelter is allowed on your property. And I will feel particularly bad if your shelter would fit in fine in your commercial/residential neighborhood.

Without order we have chaos.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I still like the idea that us guy's like a garage with a house attached,lots of room for our toys.