Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
no

I recently purchased a 2006 Megellon (by Thor) 38' Motorhome. I am very pleased with the 22.5" wheels. (our last motorhome had 16" wheels) but I am courious, it has 225 R80 22.5 tires and I notice that most others our size (only diesel, ours is 24M lb Chevy chassis with a 8.1 ltr gas engine) have 275 R80 22.5 tires. Will my rims accomidate this size tire. This is of course not withstanding the wheel well openings and space between the duals. Any one a tire expert out there in their former life and can tell me if the wider tire will fit my rims?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
no

I recently purchased a 2006 Megellon (by Thor) 38' Motorhome. I am very pleased with the 22.5" wheels. (our last motorhome had 16" wheels) but I am courious, it has 225 R80 22.5 tires and I notice that most others our size (only diesel, ours is 24M lb Chevy chassis with a 8.1 ltr gas engine) have 275 R80 22.5 tires. Will my rims accomidate this size tire. This is of course not withstanding the wheel well openings and space between the duals. Any one a tire expert out there in their former life and can tell me if the wider tire will fit my rims?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The 225s are more than sufficient to carry the load of the W24.

Go larger and get less gas mileage.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
NO, Check your Info that came with your coach. Whatever it came with, don't change it as your computer for the engine and transmission both are programed to work with whatever it came with from the factory. Changing the tire size can change the way your tranny shifts, Hurt your power and fuel millage.
You asked for the Tire Serviceman's position and you just got it!
Hope this answers your questions, have a good one, Capt.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
The 225s are more than sufficient to carry the load of the W24.

Go larger and get less gas mileage.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, Where did you find that 'Wheels of life'?
Its really cute! Capt.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your tires are sized to efficiently carry the maximum weight of your rig. I'll bet you will find those diesels you are comparing to are considerably heavier (the diesel engine alone adds considerable weight), with heavier duty axles and larger tires to match.

There is no advantage to increasing your tire size and quite likely some disadvantages, as the others have already said. Spend your money on fuel or some other goodie for the coach.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #7

Tires are supposed to be sized to carry the maximum GVWR of the coach. It's not unheard of for a manufacturer to under-size the tires they put on a coach or leave very little margin at the top end of the weight carrying cacpacity forcing you to inflate the tires close to the maximum pressure. The only way to tell for sure if your tires are adequate for your coach is to have it weighed(minimum of front and rear weights and even better if you can get lf, rf, lr, rr weighed separately with the coach loaded with eveything). Then you compare this to the tire rating chart from the manufacturer of the tires.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote