Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #1

Bike racks and license plates

Hello there!

As per state law all licensed vehicles are required to have a rear license plate. This rear plate needs to be lighted and in the center of the vehicle.

Okay, nice... but I have a motorcycle/bike rack mounted to my rear hitch receiver. If I place a motorbike or bicycle on there, the license plate will be obscured.
Now I guess lots of you guys have a bike rack, could anyone figure a good solution for this problem?

cheers,
Matt
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RV View Post
As per state law all licensed vehicles are required to have a rear license plate. This rear plate needs to be lighted and in the center of the vehicle.
Yes to rear plate but it's not a requirement that it be in the center. Many vehicles have offset plates, normally to the DS, which is 100% legal.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #3

I would suggest you mount it on your rear ladder if you have one. If not maybe on the MC. It doesn't have to be centered, just clearly visible to Law Enforcement.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a new mounting bracket to the right side under the tail light. I know of nothing requiring it be center mounted. I could not mount it on the left as there is a ladder in the way.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #5

hm thanks a lot! I somehow thought it needed to be center mounted, but thinking about it I figured that lots of vans, SUVs and trucks have it mounted towards the edge.
Well then, off I go, looking for appropriate holders..

cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	133952  
Old 07-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

Don't forget that it has to be lighted.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We got a "fix-it" ticket once for the plate being blocked by a bike rack...this was in CA.

Back then, fix-it tickets were a no fine citation, if the repair was certified within 30 days.

Moved the plate back and forth between the bumper mount and the rack as needed after that...until getting a Toy Hauler
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Hello there!

Okay, nice... but I have a motorcycle/bike rack mounted to my rear hitch receiver. If I place a motorbike or bicycle on there, the license plate will be obscured.
Now I guess lots of you guys have a bike rack, could anyone figure a good solution for this problem?

cheers,
Matt
is your concern where your plate is mounted or the bike blocking the view of the plate?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
is your concern where your plate is mounted or the bike blocking the view of the plate?
both
Old 07-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
both
35-yr career in public safety. most of the LEO's I've been associated with only care about license plate location if it's mounted/affixed somewhere other than the location provided by the manufacturer, ie...tied to the front grill, stuck in the rear window, etc. a plate is not illuminated at night is also cause for a traffic stop. you might be surprised at the number of bad guys caught due to a license plate violation.

as far as being obstructed by the bike or bike carrier...if the plate is not readable then that also is cause for a stop but most LEO's I know usually won't effect a stop on that alone. of course there is always that 1 in a 1000 that will stop a driver for the slightest infraction. follow any vehicle for a mile or two and a picky LEO will find probable cause to make a stop.

if you're obeying the traffic laws and your plate is mounted in the provided location and is lit then I wouldn't break a sweat over the partial obscuring of the plate by the bike/bike rack.

Tags
bike rack