Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Bike racks used in towing hitch behind RV

We are towing a car behind our RV, wheels down, and want to buy a bike rack. Is one type better than another or what should we look for
carolnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A bike rack on the back of an RV, with a long overhang from the bumper to the rear axle, can create quite a bit of motion. How about a bike rack on the back of the toad? You could get a receiver adaptor similar to this: Amazon.com: Dual 2" Hitch Bicycle Receiver Adapter Extender Extension 4000lb: Automotive

Just be sure the bike rack is up to the forces of the lever action of the overhang.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolnemo View Post
We are towing a car behind our RV, wheels down, and want to buy a bike rack. Is one type better than another or what should we look for
Hi Carol - we considered what do to for a while, and ended up putting a bike rack on a hitch on the back of the car. That way when we get to a campsite and unhitch the car, we don't have to transfer the bikes over. We installed a Class II hitch receiver on our car (2010 Honda CR-V) so we could use the same bike rack and would have the option to switch it back and forth between the car and the motorhome if we wanted.

We considered the bike racks that attache to the hitch between the motorhome and the car, but those seemed too awkward unless you remove the bikes first. We also considered installing a hitch on the front of the motorhome so the bikes would ride down the highway in front of our grille like on a city bus.

We've also seen people who put a rack on the top of their car, which would have the same advantage that you don't need to remove the bikes before you unhitch. We didn't do that because we keep our car in a garage at our condo with a 6 1/2 ' height limit, but it may be an option for you.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #4

I purchased a Advantage Bike Rack a few years back. It clamps to the 2" receiver hitch. Works well. Use it on the car when I need to move bikes to a riding location also.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I purchased a Advantage Bike Rack a few years back. It clamps to the 2" receiver hitch. Works well. Use it on the car when I need to move bikes to a riding location also.
I have the same set up except I have a Swagman:
Swagman Standard 4-Bike Fold Down Towing Rack (2" receiver) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolnemo View Post

Although I don't currently tow a Toad, I would put it on the Toad's rear. I have this one, Bell Right up 2 Bike Rack at amazon.com, It will fit a 1 1/4 or 2" receiver and tightens down for no wiggle.

i
Old 05-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I have a yakima rack combined with a Curt dual hitch rated for 7500 lbs.

USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #8

I don't know what type of toad you have but here is how we carry our bikes. I have a Yakama cross bar that simply lays across the back of the CRV. One fork mount faces forward the other faces rearward. This offsets the handlebars just enough. Not shown is the velcros strap on the rear wheels to keep them from moving fore and aft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	39932  
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I am able to put it between the RV or on the back of the toad. Most of the time we travel with it between the rv and the toad. It is really simple to leave the bikes on the back of the MH and use the toad to get around in when you come into camp. We do not like driving around town with a bike rack on the back of the car.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i use a dual hitch adapter similar to the one bflinn181 mentions. i use 2 hitch immobilizers to keep them from swaying.
i use the dual wheel hoop swagman bike rack.
this hookup works well for me.

Blue Ox - Drop Receivers
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #11

We have the Yakima setup on the RV hitch. I made the receiver for the bike rack. It works great, as our toad is not suitable for a bike rack (Mazda Miata). The main drawback is that I have to swivel the rack to the ground to access the engine compartment on the Dutch Star.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 5 bike rack on the rear of our RV and as BFlinn181 mentioned even with utilization of a receiver type rack if you have a long overhang there is additional stress on the rack. Had to reinforce the tubes due to the bouncing bending the tubes. Could have more to do with the roads in Louisiana...lol

If only a couple of bikes should be fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2788618577.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	39947

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Of course it would have helped if I read the title of the thread. No help with towing a toad.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #14

The best set up for me has been using a hitch splitter with the toad hooked up to the lower receiver and a 4 bike rack hooked up to the upper receiver. We full time and have logged 20,000 miles in 12 months with this set up and have had zero problems. When we started, we had the rack on the back of the toad, but it was always a pain to remove the bikes when we got to our destination. Now they stay on the RV in a protective cover. We roll with four bikes on the rv and a tandem off the back of the toad. Let me know if you would like a little more dentil of our set up.

Jake
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing