Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

black & decker undercounter coffee pot

Need to replace thermostat. Got pot off mount. Is there an easy way to release the cowling to get to the inside. Have done some "prying", but
don't want to tear it up. Appreciate advice of experience
tommagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Usually need a special screwdriver, slotted with a hole, Then it should come right apart. Biggest problem I ran into was not being able to buy a new thermostat. Seems no one I found would sell them. Hope you have better luck.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #3

We had two of those go out in a short period of time. Went with a Cuisinart instead. I didn't want to give up the counter space, but I didn't want to keep buying coffee pots even more.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Suggest going to wally or to K Mart and buying a new pot. I found that mine last about 5 years, and after that I cannot get it clean any more.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
Suggest going to wally or to K Mart and buying a new pot. I found that mine last about 5 years, and after that I cannot get it clean any more.
I have not been able to find one that fits the opening in the cabinets.

What did you buy?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a counter top model, and it resides in one of the cabinets near the sink. Each evening, I take it down and prepare coffee, just like before. After breakfast, we wash the pot just like before, and, when it's dry, store it back in the cabinet. This gives us plenty of counter space during the day and when meals are being prepared.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

I replaced one in mine about 10yrs ago. It's called a thermister...looks like a resistor but senses temperature. I got mine at RadioShack. Cost less than a dollar.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #8

Waffel House trick, I learned one day, while on break. They were cleaning their coffee pots. They put a little salt in the pot and then 1/4 pot of crushed ice. then they swirled it around and around until the stains were gone. then they rinced the pot out with fresh water and put it back into service. I tried it with my pot, and was plesently surprised at the results. Jimm Zi/
Wire Wrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
Waffel House trick, I learned one day, while on break. They were cleaning their coffee pots. They put a little salt in the pot and then 1/4 pot of crushed ice. then they swirled it around and around until the stains were gone. then they rinced the pot out with fresh water and put it back into service. I tried it with my pot, and was plesently surprised at the results. Jimm Zi/
Just make sure you have let the pot cool before you do this! I've heard the ice trick works great, you just don't want to do it right when you finish the coffee.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #10

Use a product made by Amway called All Fabric Bleach. A teaspoonful in a pot filled with hot tap water will make it sparkle. Let it soak until the water cools, rinse and you are finished.

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clean my coffee pots with water and a tablespoon of bleach, let it sit an hour and it's like new.
We finally bought a Cuisineart at Costco after a bunch of cheap coffee makers bit the dust. We now have two of them, one in the coach and one in the house. Going on 7 years no problems.
We had one undercabinet pot and it steamed the finish off our cabinets in a house we lived in.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #12

Just run vinegar water thru the coffee pot to clean.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Clean my coffee pots with water and a tablespoon of bleach, let it sit an hour and it's like new.
We finally bought a Cuisineart at Costco after a bunch of cheap coffee makers bit the dust. We now have two of them, one in the coach and one in the house. Going on 7 years no problems.
We had one undercabinet pot and it steamed the finish off our cabinets in a house we lived in.
Bleach is the way to clean your pots make a solution add a couple napkins and swirl if a heavy buildup. While you are at it don't forget your brew basket and sprayhead. As far as the tank vinegar is okay and hopefully you can tip your coffee maker to drain the tank it makes rinsing out the vinegar much easier. In most cases hard water build up is the biggest thing that will occur to your tank.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Anyone using a french coffee press? What do you think of them compared to a drip?

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote