Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #1

Black & Grey Tank Dumping

I thought I had the scoop on the poop regarding the proper dumping protocol. Poopus Maximus of the East (the big turd next door) tells me that I should leave the black tank dump valve open after emptying it so that I can open the grey tank dump valve to have an open vent allowing the grey tank to empty without building up suction inside the grey tank. There actually do seem to be two emptying stages for my grey tank....as if some suction was building up and preventing the constant flow rate of the grey water....and I'm wondering if he's right. So....like....whaddayathink???
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #2

I always drain the black tank first then close it, then open the grey. I never have them open at the same time.
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep them both open but Im also flushing the black tank while the grey is draining.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do one at a time, but don't see that it would help nor hurt.

mike
Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think Poopus Maximus of the East has sniffed one black tank too many. If he has suction in his grey tank then he need to do something about his clogged vent pipe. Empty and flush your black tank, close the valve, open the grey tank valve and flush the hose with the water from the grey tank. We won't get into the great debate on whether or not the grey tank should be left open or closed. FWIW, mine stays open.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would not do it in the way Poopus Maximus has suggested for a couple of reasons.

#1. The tanks are vented and should not build up suction. If they do check for a blockage in the vent pipe.

#2. I never have the gray open when I have the black open. I do not want take the chance of cross contaminating my gray tank with any gunk from the black tank.

If I'm at a park for an extended stay I will keep my gray open until a few days before I depart. I want to make that prior to dumping I have the gray tank about 2/3 full. This gives me a good hose flushing after dumping the black.

My dump process is to dump the black first, then hook up the water supply and use a specific hose for black tank flushing only, to my black tank flushing hook up. I then let it flush the tank for about 10 min. I then close off the black tank and open the gray water tank and empty it.

Marc
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #7

KZ RV Club
The question is, is Poopus Maximus perhaps on irv2 under a different name?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #8

I always dump black tank then flush close valve then open grey to flush out drain hose.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Interesting subject......My black water drains super fast, but the gray water has always drained very slow. Last trip out I forgot to close the black tank valve and the gray drained very fast.

I hope to hear others comments on this subject.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank