Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Black specs in water supply

I get black specs in our household water. We use the Hydro-Life house filter. We find black specs in the water frequently but not continuously. The specs are most noticeable in the toilet water but are occasionally found in the faucet screen filters. Now our Sealand Concerto toilet overflowed because the water valve stuck open. We will install a new toilet water valve but I'm suspicious that the cause of the failure is the black specs and the best solution is to solve the black spec problem as well as the water valve. BTW, the black spec problem has existed for a few years.
Has anyone else had the black spec problem? Any solutions out there?
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, is this happening when using the on board water from the tank, or when using city water or both?
Old 12-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
I get black specs in our household water. We use the Hydro-Life house filter. We find black specs in the water frequently but not continuously. The specs are most noticeable in the toilet water but are occasionally found in the faucet screen filters. Now our Sealand Concerto toilet overflowed because the water valve stuck open. We will install a new toilet water valve but I'm suspicious that the cause of the failure is the black specs and the best solution is to solve the black spec problem as well as the water valve. BTW, the black spec problem has existed for a few years.
Has anyone else had the black spec problem? Any solutions out there?
Ralph A
The "charcoal filter elements" in some water filters can release black specks, (specks of charcoal), into the water that they're "supposed" to be filtering!
10+ years ago I stopped using a water filter in the supply hose, and in my RV water system, for that very reason.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd bypass the Hydro-Life house filter for a few months and see if the problem goes away.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Clean water is good water......

I am not to sure why one would want to remove a filter from their water supply? I run two whole house filters, one outside, clear housing with a 50 micron string filter and then into the water bay into the hydro life KDF anti-bacterial filter..........I have had the string filter trashed in one weekend sometimes! I installed the string filter ahead of the hydro life KDF filter to protect it as they are expensive. I look at my water system just as my fuel system, primary filter and secondary filter.........to ensure good clean water. Last summer, just changed string filter, hooking up at a KOA, I DID NOT (mistake) turn on the water supply before hooking up to the primary filter(string filter w/clear housing) and turned the supply on...........before hooking up to the Coach, I looked at the filter, OH MY GOD! a big black spider going around inside the filter!(Quarter size!) had to take the filter apart and remove him.........if I had no filter/s.........Oh my! I am actually amazed since I started using that clear filter the junk and dirty water resorts/campgrounds have........most never see it or trap the contaminates/dirt without filter use. To each their own......as always!
OP- Ralph, how long have you owned this Coach? Maybe this was something that happened some time ago, a carbon filter failing like Mel stated? Sounds like a full water system cleaning/flushing and a new filter is in order...........Bleach the water system in the process.......also.
(click on photo to enlarge)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04892.jpg
Views:	4092
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	81764  
Old 12-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am not to sure why one would want to remove a filter from their water supply? I run two whole house filters, one outside, clear housing with a 50 micron string filter and then into the water bay into the hydro life KDF anti-bacterial filter..........I have had the string filter trashed in one weekend sometimes! I installed the string filter ahead of the hydro life KDF filter to protect it as they are expensive. I look at my water system just as my fuel system, primary filter and secondary filter.........to ensure good clean water. Last summer, just changed string filter, hooking up at a KOA, I DID NOT (mistake) turn on the water supply before hooking up to the primary filter(string filter w/clear housing) and turned the supply on...........before hooking up to the Coach, I looked at the filter, OH MY GOD! a big black spider going around inside the filter! had to take the filter apart and remove him.........if I had no filter/s.........Oh my! I am actually amazed since I started using that clear filter the junk and dirty water resorts/campgrounds have........most never see it or trap the contaminates/dirt without filter use. To each their own......as always!
Bang on...I have the same set up.

I also carry a squirt bottle with bleach solution that I use to spray the water tap before I connect since I watched a guy rinse his slinky hose by putting it up to the tap.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would say the black specks are from the charcoal filter. We run the water for a couple of minutes each morning, and then about 15 seconds each time we use it. Are you doing that?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, I bought the coach new in 2005 and have always used the Hyro-Life filter. I change the filter regularly, two to four times a year. The problem shows up on both the city water and on-board water. I flush the entire system out with chlorine at least once a year since we've been full-timing, last four years. Prior to that, it was flushed with chlorine at least twice a year when winterizing.
When I see how much stuff that expensive Hydro-Life filter takes out of the water i'm not interested in removing it from the system. Some time ago I accurately weighed a new filter filled with water verses the used filter filled with water and the used filter weighed 2.76 # more. I would be more in favor of adding an additional filter.
Since so many people are focusing on the charcoal from the filter, I'm going to install a screen washer after the filter to see if the black specs are coming from the filter.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black flecks.

Many water filters contain activated carbon, in fact I use a home-made filter that consists of 3 elements.. A pre-filter (partical filter) which is nothing more than filter floss from the fish-care isle at pet supplies.
Activated carbon (Same isle, USE THE BASIC STUFF, not the stuff that has other features).
And another layer of fliter floss.

When you first push water though a filter that is new, or has sat a while, some of the carbon powder or granuals make it out of the filter into your water supply.

Now.. I am not suggesting that is the only way to get black flecks in the water,, but IF and I stress IF this is the source, not only is it not a problem, it may actually be beneficial as this same product is used medically to treat an issue or two, and far as I know side effects are basically nil, and the few flecks you will drink.. Well in a year you might take the equivalent of one activated carbon tablet.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am not to sure why one would want to remove a filter from their water supply? I run two whole house filters, one outside, clear housing with a 50 micron string filter and then into the water bay into the hydro life KDF anti-bacterial filter..........I have had the string filter trashed in one weekend sometimes! I installed the string filter ahead of the hydro life KDF filter to protect it as they are expensive. I look at my water system just as my fuel system, primary filter and secondary filter.........to ensure good clean water. Last summer, just changed string filter, hooking up at a KOA, I DID NOT (mistake) turn on the water supply before hooking up to the primary filter(string filter w/clear housing) and turned the supply on...........before hooking up to the Coach, I looked at the filter, OH MY GOD! a big black spider going around inside the filter!(Quarter size!) had to take the filter apart and remove him.........if I had no filter/s.........Oh my! I am actually amazed since I started using that clear filter the junk and dirty water resorts/campgrounds have........most never see it or trap the contaminates/dirt without filter use. To each their own......as always!
OP- Ralph, how long have you owned this Coach? Maybe this was something that happened some time ago, a carbon filter failing like Mel stated? Sounds like a full water system cleaning/flushing and a new filter is in order...........Bleach the water system in the process.......also.
(click on photo to enlarge)
Palehourse,
I would be interested in the string filter addition to my filter system. First I'm thinking of using it after the Hydro-Life filter to see if I'm getting any specs. After that test I would be inclined to use it as you do, before the Hydro-Life filter.
Where would I get the string filter?
Old 12-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Bang on...I have the same set up.

I also carry a squirt bottle with bleach solution that I use to spray the water tap before I connect since I watched a guy rinse his slinky hose by putting it up to the tap.

Hmm. Didn't consider that possibility of rinsing the slinky that way. Great recombination on the sanitization.

Dave and Young
2003 Revolution 40c
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
Palehourse,
I would be interested in the string filter addition to my filter system. First I'm thinking of using it after the Hydro-Life filter to see if I'm getting any specs. After that test I would be inclined to use it as you do, before the Hydro-Life filter.
Where would I get the string filter?
Any local hardware store, lowes, home depot, my local true value has them, look online also Pentek CW-50 String-Wound Polypropylene Filter Cartridge, 9-7/8" x 2-1/4", 50 Micron: Replacement Water Filters: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific I have also used them for years and also the previous owner did, no problems.

Here is the hydro life filter C-2063:

Model Number:
C 2063

Description:
Replacement cartridge for HL 200 series or virtually any standard 10" housing. The finest acid washed coconut shell carbon used in conjunction with "bacteriostatic" KDF® media, combine to address many of today's water problems. Contaminants addressed include bacteria, heavy metals, hydrogen sulfide, lime/scale, chlorine, VOC's, taste, and odor.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #13

Had that problem in a house when the water softener tank failed and released the media into the water line.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #14

I notice the black specs in the bottom of our Walmart ice maker.

Tags
water