Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've tried hard. I think I've tried every black streak remover that CW carries and then some. I've tried LimeAway. 409 - the purple stuff (I think a strong de-greaser) from local auto parts store.

I'm getting up the nerve to try concentrated sulfuric acid, but probably will dissolve the front of the coach, then the windshield will fall out, and I'm sure the air will be a lot more clear than my current windshield. Just have to get wife & I some goggles, and we'll be all set.

By the way, I used Scotch Brite with all these cleaners, and the streeks are still there.

Surely someone has addressed this problem.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've tried hard. I think I've tried every black streak remover that CW carries and then some. I've tried LimeAway. 409 - the purple stuff (I think a strong de-greaser) from local auto parts store.

I'm getting up the nerve to try concentrated sulfuric acid, but probably will dissolve the front of the coach, then the windshield will fall out, and I'm sure the air will be a lot more clear than my current windshield. Just have to get wife & I some goggles, and we'll be all set.

By the way, I used Scotch Brite with all these cleaners, and the streeks are still there.

Surely someone has addressed this problem.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
paz

I've never tried it, but I heard chrome polish works on difficult-to-remove hard-water spots. It contains a mild abrasive that's strong enough to remove the spots, but won't scratch the glass. Maybe it will work on black streaks, too. I would try it along an edge first to be sure it doesn't scratch.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
GM used to sell at the parts counter a powdered glass cleaner.

It was Bon Ami. It works great. Messy, but works great

Don't use Comet or Ajax or anything else.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bill,
Consider looking in the Yellow Pages under the topic of "Cleaning Exterior". In our area these companies can clean ground water that will etch the house windows. They should be able to help you. Another Yellow Pages topic might be "Glass Engraving & Etching". These companies use lots of chemicals and may have some recommendations. "Automobile Detailing & Clean Up Services" is another topic to be tried. Lastly, go to an RV dealer and ask to speak to the people who detail there used coaches. I'm sure they have been successful at removing the black from glass.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try some 3M Adhesive, Wax and Mark remover. It should remove the marks but is will remove all wax if you spill any.

I got a can at Pep Boys

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've noticed that after a long steady rain that the black streaks and water spots are easier to clean off than if I do it after a long dry spell. I use Simple Green cleaner and it seems to do a good job on the black streaks.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #8

Living in the country, agricultural chemicals will stain my house windows bad. Nothing I tried for a long time would get the stains off. Finally I tried "Sno-Bowl" toilet cleaner and it worked. Don't get it on the paint. Try a small spot first.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
As Dirk said, Bon Ami is many times the answer, won't scratch the glass and can be hosed off. Have you tried WD 40? Works on all sorts of marks, even permanent marker.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Blue Ribbon, My DW calls me the "answer man"

Now you might not like the answer but how about a new windshield!

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #11

We've found that Bleach White (yea, the stuff you use on your tires) works great. We use it in the restoration of classic cars all the time. You just very lightly mist it on, rub it in circular motions with a bug-sponge, and then rinse BEFORE it dries. Only do 1/4 of your windscreen at a time to be sure it doesn't dry or that you get too large of an area and it starts running down over the body below the windscreen - in which case it'll make black streaks and then you have to each them off too.

Bleach White is pretty safe on just about any surface as long as you follow the #1 rule of using it which is NEVER LET IT DRY and it WILL dry pretty fast, the makers suggest rinsing after 1-2inutesand that's about right. Also always rinse througly both the area your working on (and any areas you may have accidentally gotten it onto) before moving on to a new area.

You'll find it will do a NUMBER of other uses besides cleaning tires and brightening whitewalls or raised white lettering.

A rag lightly moistend with it will take black streaks off of paint or fiberglass in a shot, boat owners have used it for years on gelcoated fiberglass to get rid of streaks. Same rule though, as soon as you wipe down about as big an area as you can do in about 1-2 minutes and then rinse before moving on. If it's a cool evening you can work with it longer but in summer watch out on letting it dry and stay out of direct sunlight or very hot surfaces such as having BEEN in direct sunlight prior to using it, even if you moved to a shaded area before use it's best to let the area cool down or spray it with cool water for a bit to cool the surface before use.

One way you can increase working time is also to dilute it by about 50/50 with water but you still need to rinse it before it dries or it can make more streaks in the areas where it's dried.

The marine dept of any good store is also a good place to find other kinds of black streak removes and other cleaners safe for everything from fiberlgass to gelcoat. One particular item available at most Wal-Marts is called StarBrite Hull Cleaner. Smells a little bad but works great and not as bad as Bleach-White about streaking if you let it dry while working with it. It's not as bad as Bleach-White if your in direct sunlight but it's still best if you can avoid it. You rub it in with a sponge or cloth, let it get nearly dry, and then rinse. It will work on windscreens also, use it on our boats hull and windscreen all the time. Haven't had a major problem with black streaks on the RV windscreen yet though did use it on some streaks on the side when we were out of
Bleach-White.

- SouthernGypsy
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #12

oh, BTW - An addition to my last post, those were the less expensive suggestions but I own a classic car restoration business and they DO actually make professional products meant specifically to restore windscreens.

3M Windscreen Restorer and Polish.

It's about $29 for a single bottle and on an RV sized windscreen your only going to get about one use out of a bottle and that's going to be using it somewhat sparingly. Of course hopefully you'll never need it again once you solve your problem but like I said, it is expensive but it WILL work everytime. You can apply it with your hands but it's designed to be used with (and works best with) a buffer/polisher.

It's kind of like polishing compund for your windscreen. It's safe for both coated and uncoated glass and hardened hybrid-plexilight like many modern convertables use as back windows because it's clearer than the old plastic back windows but lighter than real glass.

For REALLY bad glass you can even get a two-stage kit with a rougher compound for the first pass and then a milder compound for the
"polishing" pass. The two statge kit is about $49 but I doubt you would need it.

There are some imitators but we've found that genuine 3M is usually worth the difference.

- SouthernGypsy
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #13

I use a glass polish to get rid of hard water spots and black streaks.

My favorite is Griot's Fine Glass Polish. I use a power buffer (made for polishing) and special polishing pads available from Griot's.

Just did my MH from one end to the other. Polishing "super cleans" your windows so their much easier to keep clean in the future.

Also, I've found most of the cause for black streaks on my MH is a dirty roof. Keeping the top clean (I know it's not fun) will help keep the rest of your coach looking better.

hgt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I second the use of Griot's Garage cleaning products. This is the only brand of products I have ever use on the coach. The coach has never been washed. It looks better today than when it was delivered. Their web site is Griots Garage
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote