Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post

No doubt, and I for one do appreciate that you and others share that knowledge here.

Thanks,
Stewart
Stewart,

I firmly believe that we are put here on earth to share our knowledge and expertise. It would be a shame to live such a long life learning the stuff that we all do AND then NOT to share it with others.

I share my knowledge freely and without any expectations and will do so until the day I pass.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Joe,

I had been using the normal household Rid-X for years which is expensive BUT you only need a cap-full or about 1 oz to treat either tank no matter the size. There are plenty of bacteria huddled together in one cap-full to do the job.

However, when Rid-X recently introduced an RV version of their product I decided to give it a try. It has a very pleasant citrus aroma versus no aroma with the normal Rid-X. However, I do not use their recommended dosage of 3 oz's per treatment. I still only use about one oz. Therefore the per treatment cost is $0.27.

The Happy Campers RV Treatment when purchasing the largest size works out to $0.53 per treatment, about double the Rid-X.

So that's why I use Rid-X RV Treatment up to about 90F degrees outside and then switch over to the Happy Campers. I have found that when it gets REALLY hot outside and my tanks heat up and the black starts to percolate, the Happy Campers RV Treatment does a much better job of odor control versus the Rid-X.

When you dump your tanks, there is a residual amount of Rid-X bacteria left in the tank to keep the process running in addition to the small amount of new liquid which is added after you dump.

Remember that I beat to different drum and this is what works for me.

After living in my coach for well over 10 years I have forgotten more than what most people are just beginning to learn. That's why I have hundreds if not thousands of documents saved on my computer and in paper file hoping to remember where the information is when I need it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks Richard! I didn't know Rid-X was available in an RV version. We all appreciate you input on the forum!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I use this
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
The Geo Method.
It works for me and after a rinse with this, Tornado Permanent Tank Rinser with Remote Connection - Camco 40126 - Sewer Flushing - Camping World
My gauges actually give me the correct reading.

Hope this helps.
How is this installed?
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Water only.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
How is this installed?
Don, here is the pdf I downloaded on how to install the Tornado.

I was too chicken to do it myself. I always wanted one though!

Hey Dave....?? Can you install this??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tornado Installation.pdf (214.8 KB, 31 views)
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
For those of you who use different types of solutions (Rid-x, happy camper, etc).... have you ever just tried using plain water?

I've asked many others this same question, and typically I usually get the answer: "This is what I started with and have always used it".

Most have never tried just using water as they've "heard" that you have to have chemicals.

You don't!

Try just water and see if you have unpleasant odors....I bet you won't. If you do, it's usually a sign that you have a defective system...bad seal, gasket, leak, vent pipe....

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
For those of you who use different types of solutions (Rid-x, happy camper, etc).... have you ever just tried using plain water?

I've asked many others this same question, and typically I usually get the answer: "This is what I started with and have always used it".

Most have never tried just using water as they've "heard" that you have to have chemicals.

You don't!

Try just water and see if you have unpleasant odors....I bet you won't. If you do, it's usually a sign that you have a defective system...bad seal, gasket, leak, vent pipe....

Ron
I never have, but you know what, I will try it! I just was told and always believed it better to have the Rid-X and the Happy Camper to break down the solids more than for the smell. I don't know how well plain water will do that, but I'll give it a try just to find out!
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
If you follow the correct procedures in dumping your tanks, water will do just fine.

The main issue is to always use plenty of water for your black tank and typically only dump when it is 2/3rds full.

I installed a 3rd gate valve at the opening where you normally put your 3" hose. Once I drain my black tank, I close this 3rd valve and open the gray tank valve. This will allow the soapy gray water to back flow into the black tank and will stabilize at a level that depends if your gray and black tanks at installed at the same height. I then close the gray and open the 3rd valve again to re-drain the black tank. This procedure cleans out the black tank of any residue that was left after the first drainage and will work even if your black tank is originally only 1/3rd full.

Of course, it helps if you have a black tank flusher (like a tornado or quickie flush) to put fresh water back into the black tank.

I have used this procedure on my TT, first mh, and now this mh, and with all three I've never had a problem with odors, faulty gauges or plug ups.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #23

When we bought our MH there were three different kinds of tank treatment products stored in the bathroom cabinet. After eight months of full-timing, there is one less packet. I do occasionally add an enzyme to the gray tank if it is going to "stew" a while. We also routinely add dishwater to the black tank. Our rinse/flush system for the black tank works well. The tank level indicators have gotten a little more accurate.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post

You don't!

Ron

No, I've never tried just using plain water. I just don't see how a tank full of poop in plain water is not going to stink when you flush the toilet.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
No, I've never tried just using plain water. I just don't see how a tank full of poop in plain water is not going to stink when you flush the toilet.

I was a non believer till I tried it. Never bought another chemical for the black tank again. Try it , you'll like it

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I was a non believer till I tried it. Never bought another chemical for the black tank again. Try it , you'll like it

Cliff, what about the smell when you're dumping? Also, does the sewer hose not stink, even after flushing it with the gray tank water?

Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have a tight connection , there will be no more odor than with chemicals and if you rinse the hose out , it won't smell any worse either. It's not that the contents won't have an odor , it's just that you won't smell it during regular use .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
If you have a tight connection , there will be no more odor than with chemicals and if you rinse the hose out , it won't smell any worse either. It's not that the contents won't have an odor , it's just that you won't smell it during regular use .

X2 - it's all about how tight the connection is, loose connection and you will have some momentary smells and I've never had a stinky sewer hose after I've rinsed it.

StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank