Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #29
Community Administrator

Hears an old thread with a lot of no chemical testimonials.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mone...als-66545.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Excellent thread Cliff. Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to try it for sure. I was told from day one use RidX and treat it like a septic tank, but septic tanks don't dump. The Black tank is truly just a holding tank.

Awareness is a powerful tool if you let it happen.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #31

Ken I'm on my phone when I get home I'll look at it I use the geo method
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
I used the Geo method for about two years and while I had no issues with it I have since started using Pure Power green . It is so simple I add 2 oz each time I dump and have no Oder at all @ 20 bucks for a 64oz bottle I will continue to use it for the simplicity . I am a full timer in a Keystone Montana and dump every other week .
fsteve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
No, I've never tried just using plain water. I just don't see how a tank full of poop in plain water is not going to stink when you flush the toilet.
What this guy said
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Cliff my wife wont allow it, it may work but you know the rest.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
I Boondock a lot so I can't afford to use lots of water
You cannot afford not to use water. If you do not keep up the liquid to solid ratio the tank will not dump properly and you may end up with a pile of dried crud in the tank. All it takes is a couple of gallons of water when you dump to prime the tank and top it off with water when you are ready to dump. IF you have big tanks/long hold times consider a rinsing system. If you are going days/weeks between dumps add a couple more gallons of water and some detergent or water softener (or both).
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Below 90F degress I use RV Rid-X.

Above 90F degress I use Happy Campers Organic RV Treatment.

OK for both tanks.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks. I didn't know Rid-X made an RV product. I'll keep it in mind when I'm parked for a while. And thanks for sharing your experience on other subjects too.

I normally use a capful of liquid laundry detergent after dumping. I mostly boondock so the "water and lots of it" suggestions won't work for me. I do dump some soapy wash water into the toilet- maybe a quart a day. I also drive my Class C quite a bit. I think frequent agitation is more important than chemicals or large amounts of water. I seldom notice more than a couple of... lumps going through the stinky slinky.

I dump at every FREE opportunity and when the tanks get close to full. I also rinse the tanks with a few gallons of water if available. If it's free, I don't complain about no rinse water.

I've also used liquid Calgon and don't think its any better or worse than liquid laundry detergent. It is really great as a laundry aid with very dirty clothes. I recommend it for that purpose. It is more expensive but certainly won't hurt your black tank.

I've been full time only for about 4 years but so far this has worked. I'm also a solo and that does makes a difference with water use. Recently I've been parked for longer (more than a week) periods and have become more interested in tank treatments.

Thanks to all for a useful discussion.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Mangy Dog said: "I've also used liquid Calgon and don't think its any better or worse than liquid laundry detergent."

FWIW, Calgon is a water softener...not a detergent. It will NOT clean your tank. What it will do is coat the inside of your tank making it very slick so that solids and tp won't stick to it. Using Calgon is part of the widely accepted, and used, "GEO Method".

And for those who have an odor when "flushing the toilet"....you've got to remember that when you do this, you have a direct and open line to the black tank. I would think it would be very difficult not to have a quick sniff...especially if you have the vent fan on. Just be quick with the flush and leave the fan off.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank