Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

Black tank

96 GEORGIE BOY cruisemaster 4" crack in tank - new not available- options
Kevson1358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevson1358 View Post
96 GEORGIE BOY cruisemaster 4" crack in tank - new not available- options
Depending on the tank material, you might be able to make a full repair by using heat welding. Lots of good YouTube videos on welding plastic. Key is to figure out what type of plastic it is so you can use the correct filler material, and to get the crack thoroughly cleaned out. Best to use super sharp knife to cut back just a sliver to expose fresh plastic, and then weld filler material to repair. Lots of structural repairs to kayaks made this way. Our entire tank was built by heat welding flat sheets of plastic. Has held for 45 years so far.

There are plastic epoxies out there, and some have had success. But, the nature of some plastics is to resist being glued. In those cases heat welding is best. You can test the epoxy on the outside of the tank - it it can be pried off when cured it won't seal the leak long term.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

I had an experience with a tank cracking years ago. I used "Harvey's Epoxy paste" which I found in the plumbing section of our local Menards. I don't know if Lowes or Home Depot carry it. Sanded down the cracked area, cut off a section of the paste, worked it in real good and spread it on the crack. Held for years.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

If you don't think you can repair it yourself or even if you find that a professional can't repair it --although the last two posts certainly sound encouraging as it pertains to making a good repair yourself-- there are places that will custom make a tank for you.

Two places I've keep in my notes are:

All-Rite Custom Manufacturing - Custom RV Holding Tanks

Miller Plastic Products -- RV Holding Tanks for Freshwater & Wastewater
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hopefully others have answered your question! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #6

Have heard of folks using Eternabond tape to repair cracks in holding tanks. Drill a hole at each end of the crack first to stop further cracking, then apply the tape and let set for half a day before using the tank again. They have regular Eternabond and Alumibond, have seen folks say they use either one for the repair.

Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not knowing your tank or what its made of or if its accessible.. If it was mine, This might be my first approach..

1) Stop drill the crack on both ends. Drill a 1/8 diameter hole at the end of the crack, this will prevent the crack from spreading.

2) Clean the area around the crack, no grease, dirt, oils, etc..

3) Sand the area about 3 inches all around the crack with #36 sand paper. The sanded area needs to be scuffed and ruff. This will provide a good mechanical bond to the epoxy in the next step.

4) Use a two part epoxy, cut 2 pieces of Bi-Directional cloth about 3 inches wide and about 3 inches longer than the crack.

5) Using the two part epoxy, wet the area around the crack, then lay down two layers of the BID cloth. make sure the cloth is wetted.

6) Lay a layer of peel ply over the cloth, wet it out also. Let this cure and you should be good.

I used West Systems Epoxy for these types of repairs. It and the cloth can be purchased at West Marine stores.

I built an airplane out of epozy, so have a LOT of experience with it.

http://iflyez.com/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
My black tank cracked three years ago. I bought a plastic welder at Harbor Freight and ordered some plastic welding rod online, pulled the tank out and welded it. It's still holding together good. You do need to know what type of plastic your tank is made of.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
tcg

Some sort of epoxy over the crack. Cover the repair with a narrow piece of Eternabond and then cover that with a much wider piece of Eternabond.

Then go camping.

The drain pipe from the gray water tank got a crack in it. It would have been a major repair because of how long the pipe was and where it was located.

Wrapped the pipe with Eternabond three years ago and it's been leak free ever since.

We have a 1996 Class C it's in really good shape but some repairs call for a band-aid while others call for doing it right, only you can decide when it's time for a band-aid vs doing it right.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank