Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Black tank built in flush - input needed

Question for those of you with the built in black tank flush.

Mine never worked when I first got the motorhome. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it and had it repaired (200 mile round trip). The tech asked me how often I dumped the black tank. I told him when it's full, not 1/3 or half full. He told me there were some "solids" inside the black tank flush nozzle. He cleaned it all up and put it back together.

The next time I went to use the black tank flush I was 1600 miles away from the dealer. It worked! But.....the next time I went to use it it didn't, or any of the several times after that. I ended up buying a flush wand just to clean the black tank out.

Finally got back to home base after a cross country trip and had the time to pull the flush head apart. I had already replaced the plastic antisyphon valve with a brass one and didn't want to mess with that. I disconnected the pex from the flush nozzle and pointed the pex outboard. I hooked up a hose to the tank flush connection and turned the water on....plenty of water coming through the pex. So, my new antisyphon valve was not the problem.

I took the nozzle unit off the black tank and took it apart. It looked like cellulose (TP?) inside the nozzle - not on the outside of it where it projects into the black tank but rather inside the nozzle itself. That's why it didn't work. I cleaned it out, put it all back together and it works fine.

I was thinking that maybe sawdust got into the line somehow during construction and plugged it up. With the size of the holes in the nozzle tip I don't see TP working it's way through the tip to the inside of the nozzle...or could it?

Before I put everything back together I ran water through the line without the nozzle for a couple minutes to make sure if there was any sawdust in the line it would be flushed out without clogging the nozzle.

My question to those of you with a black tank flush factory installed, have you ever experienced TP breaking down and migrating to the inside of the nozzle? If so, short of taking apart how do you keep it clean?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Never heard of that but mine did clog up once. I removed it and enlarged the holes a couple of sizes larger. No problems since then.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:47 PM   #3

We have two and neither one have ever plugged up.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:19 AM   #4

When I dump the black tank I will hook up my "dump hose" and flush the tank out even if I'm not leaving. So far that has helped keep the tank cleaner and so far never had a problem of stuff going the wrong direction in the nozzles.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had an issue with all mine.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

Thanks all. There must have been some sawdust that got into the line during construction then. I couldn't see how TP would migrate from the tank into the inside of the spray nozzle then coagulate. Keeping my fingers crossed that by letting the water run through the open line without the nozzle cleared out whatever was in there.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could it have been lime deposits inside the nozzle?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Could it have been lime deposits inside the nozzle?
No, it wasn't lime. I've got that in my household water so I know what it looks like. The stuff that was plugging the nozzle looked like either very fine sawdust clumped together or wet cardboard, that's why I was wondering about TP migrating backwards into the nozzle when driving and "stuff" is sloshing around.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSkip View Post
Question for those of you with the built in black tank flush.

Mine never worked when I first got the motorhome. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it and had it repaired (200 mile round trip). The tech asked me how often I dumped the black tank. I told him when it's full, not 1/3 or half full. He told me there were some "solids" inside the black tank flush nozzle. He cleaned it all up and put it back together.

The next time I went to use the black tank flush I was 1600 miles away from the dealer. It worked! But.....the next time I went to use it it didn't, or any of the several times after that. I ended up buying a flush wand just to clean the black tank out.

Finally got back to home base after a cross country trip and had the time to pull the flush head apart. I had already replaced the plastic antisyphon valve with a brass one and didn't want to mess with that. I disconnected the pex from the flush nozzle and pointed the pex outboard. I hooked up a hose to the tank flush connection and turned the water on....plenty of water coming through the pex. So, my new antisyphon valve was not the problem.

I took the nozzle unit off the black tank and took it apart. It looked like cellulose (TP?) inside the nozzle - not on the outside of it where it projects into the black tank but rather inside the nozzle itself. That's why it didn't work. I cleaned it out, put it all back together and it works fine.

I was thinking that maybe sawdust got into the line somehow during construction and plugged it up. With the size of the holes in the nozzle tip I don't see TP working it's way through the tip to the inside of the nozzle...or could it?

Before I put everything back together I ran water through the line without the nozzle for a couple minutes to make sure if there was any sawdust in the line it would be flushed out without clogging the nozzle.

My question to those of you with a black tank flush factory installed, have you ever experienced TP breaking down and migrating to the inside of the nozzle? If so, short of taking apart how do you keep it clean?

Thanks
I had a very similar problem! The inside of the nozzle, PLUS and inch or so back inside the PEX, was completely clogged! I cleaned it good and put a rubber washer with screen inside the flusher inlet. I've never had a problem since!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Actually this is quite common. Many drill the tiny holes out a bit and that usually solves the problem.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #11

I thought the poop would sink to the bottom and stay away from the tank cleaner must be floaters running into the pipe.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I thought the poop would sink to the bottom and stay away from the tank cleaner must be floaters running into the pipe.
Well, when going down the road, poop flies everywhere

Tags
black tank, tank