Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #15

Thanks --- I kind of thought that may be the reason, pressure didn't seem to make sense.

I'm going to start doing it that way, beats carrying a bucket to add water to the tank.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Increase the level to at least 1/2 full and dump. I generally flush the black tank a couple of time a year and that is it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can dump anytime as long as you don't leave stuck turds in there

Dump and flush will ensure there is nothing left behind to build a pyramid on the tank floor.

The idea of dumping when 3/4 full, helps to get a full tank flush of lots of rushing water. Dumping when low and then follow-up with a water flush (Sani-Flush, etc) is ok.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Every time we depart a CG I dump all tanks, and back flush the black. Only those times we may not have sewer will I not dump the tanks until the next stop.

So far, so good.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
If you are parked in a resort/campground for a period of time hooked up to sewer you should leave the valve closed until you have close to a full tank then drain and flush. If you leave the valve open the solids can build up in a pile which becomes "The Pyramid of Death" Keeping the valve closed and flushing a full tank prevents this. This doesn't occur if you are weekending or on short trips because the motion of the RV tends to break everything down. So it should be drained everytime you go out. You may have heard the full tank drain in reference to being parked at a campground. I also use the Calgon, detergent method, have in the last three RVs and we get no smells from our tanks. Have gone for ten days without dumping with no problem. Before you say/think it we have big tanks.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Faith....there was at one time an interesting post on this forum by a gentleman who provided a very detailed discussion of a process he uses to keep his tanks clean and odor free. It involves using laundry detergent, Calgon and ocassional bleach.
Do not know why, but that is called the Geo Method. If you do a Google search for Geo Method you will get several pages of results.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #21

Dump the black tank after every trip. Otherwise it 'cooks' in the black tank.

I do use plenty of fresh water when flushing, adding extra when on a short weekend.

Dump the black, follow by the gray. Then add the black tank deodorizer with about 1-2 gallons of water. Good to go for the next trip.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I dump even if not very full. Then refill with fresh water and dump again. Then add some water so tank is not completely dry.
............Times two, I just can't justify leaving it in there when all I have to do is pull a lever, and if it sets for two weeks or 6 months, it's clean, JMHO..........Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I put some bleach (2 quarts in a 50 gallon tank) in the black and grey tanks once a month, let it sit overnight and dump the next day.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #24

1/4 cup bleach with 15 gallons water would suffice, using this mixture to fill about half way the capacity of the tank. Let it sit for about 2-4 hours. Drive it and dump it. Bleach isn't good for seals.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 AM   #25

Pusherman.....please do NOT misinterpret my question to you. I am trying to learn from a fellow RVer, not cause a stir.

You said bleach isn't good for seals. Why is that? I would think that straight bleach in any tank would not be good. But a cup or two diluted in 20 + gallons of water should be OK....no? Washing machines have many seals within....and bleach is routinely added at much higher concentration than the usual RV. Most seals used today are neoprene, impervious to most liquids. I would appreciate any info you can provide 'cause I sure don't need internal plumbing seals to expire because of the bleach that I use as part of my tank cleansing process. Thanks for your input....
Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #26

If we are at a campground I fill the black tank full and dump. I use the Calgon and Dawn method and it has worked great. I can look down into the tank and it is clean as can be. This is on a 95 Winnebago. I don't like to leave stuff in the tanks for a week or more.............. just because.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #27

Bleach is just fine to use, but be careful not to mix with the blue stuff as it is a toxic mix.

Another suggestion for cleaning, is a half bag of ice after you dump, for the ride home, it will knock off any side residual,
and it may even get that broken sensor to work again.
Dusty Trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #28

Here ya go...

The Geo Method

Just NEVER allow a DRY tank...
salvagediver is offline   Reply With Quote