Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Black tank not ABS ??? HELP

Am trying to do a repair on the black tank but it appears the tank is not ABS but some other type of plastic. How do I glue ABS to the tank?

2008 Coachmen Freelander. Dump valves not installed correctly so handles pointed down and have been broken twice by road debris. So am replacing valves & lines.
Have ABS pipe & fittings to go from tank to new valves and while removing old ABS pipe it appears the neck of the tank is NOT ABS as it doesn't melt like ABS does from heat of the saw or soften when I apply ABS specific solvent glue.
So now I have a real problem as I have no idea how to properly glue ABS fittings or reinforcement panel tot he side of the tank.

Coachmen did glue some ABS pipe into the tank but the glue they uses didn't fuse the tank plastic.

Ideas appreciated as it appears my only option now is a new tank assuming I can get one as I find nothing similar in size & shape from businesses selling holding tanks and there is no identifiable part number on the tank.

This job is going downhill fast. help is needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #2

If your tank is poly, this should work

Old 04-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Thanks Honey
Will get some and do a test. I am learning that the tank may be LDPE which is not the same as PVC but it's worth a try.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Found This 3M product that will bond LDPE which is what I now believe the tank is made of based on input from various sources.

Will bond & screw a 5" x 5" ABS 1/8" flat sheet to side of tank.
After that sets up I will run another bead of the 3M epoxy around the inside of the hole. The Spigot will have heavy ABS to ABD solvent glue on its flat flange so am hopint the part of the spigot that goes into the tank through the hole will have epoxy on inside plus ABS glue to the ABS flat panel that will be part of the side of the tank.
Kind of a belt + suspenders approach.

Then its easy after that as just ABS to ABS etc.

My thanks to all for the ideas and input.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hope you post some photos of the repair process.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Polyethylene is another common water/waste tank material.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #7

Tireman,
Many of the fittings used on todays water and holding tanks are "spin welded" into place. While on close-up tour on the assembly line at Winnebago last summer, I watched them construct each tank and, then install fittings in a large, high RPM motor, kind-a like a great big drill motor. Then, they put the fitting in the tanks and, turned on the motor for about 5 or so seconds at a fairly high rate of speed.

Basically, that spins that fitting, in the hole and, creates enough heat to SELF WELD the fitting to the tank. Now, I can't remember if they did ALL the fittings to ALL the tanks but, this is what I saw. I've been a welder my entire life and I found that process fascinating. I knew about it long ago but, never actually saw it done, in person. It was neat.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Fire Up. Thanks. I knew about the spin weld process. The issue is that only works if tou are using the same family of plastic.
It appears that in 2008 Coachmen apparently had a LDPE blow molded tank. they tried to glue and use hose clamps on the neck of the tank to attach it to the ABS pipe that then connected vial solvent glue to other ABS fittings and then the valve etc.

Only recently have epoxy adhesives been developed that work on Polyethylene. One such is 3M DP8005 but this is expensive $35 for 2 OZ and takes a special $50 applicator.

Coachmen is of no help as I am being told they need dimensions and would have to have a custom tank made. I see no reason for Camping World & Coachmen to take their cut and if needed will spec a custom tank myself.

Tags
tank, abs