Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aces:
We fought a similar problem for at least a year... Just something to check as it ended up being our problem..

The "vent" under the sink area (a cap with a rubber seal designed to allow air in and not out) was loose.. We finally found it loose and tightened it... Problem fixed.. Neither we or the dealer had found it... Worth a look.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll look for the vent this weekend. Thanks, I never would have looked for a vent under the sink.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2006, 05:46 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeeB:
Ed I bought my MH from Demartini in Feb. in Sacramento... I was looking at the one you bought (looking on line) and loved that one too... Demartini was with out a doubt "THE" best dealer I have ever done business with including buying cars.. I would be willing to bet that if you can't get your problem fixed that they will bend over backwards to help you... After all word of mouth goes a long way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with you Lee. I had a very low stress, low pressure, sales experience. They were so easy to deal with and even brought the MH 2 hours from the store to see if it would make it up my steep driveway! Buying the MH was less stressful then buying the Jeep Liberty!!!!

If I cannot resolve the issue I will ask them about it. They indicated that they would take care of any issues I find with it.

I bought the unit used (balance of Newmar 3 year warranty left, I think) so therefore I don't want to nickel and dime their "good will" for every minor thing I find. However, this odor is an issue! If I can't find the problem then hopefully they will help.

2003 KSDP
Old 06-28-2006, 06:24 AM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Hopefully you will be able to locate the solution to your odor problem,whether it's a loose vent fitting or something else...

While DeMartini is certianly a great dealer,with shops on the West Coast and now in Indiana, I am more than pleased with the EXCELLENT sales "experience" I've had with my new Essex from Howard RV in Wilmington,NC so far...

I am even able to report, having witnessed my best friend's entire purchase experience of a 2006 MADP recently from Howard as well,they have it "on the ball" as far as pricing, PDI and service after the sale is concerned.

For those of us on the "East Coast", we're fortunate to have our own little place to shop...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">rebelsbeach </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Looks like you got a good dealer there also..... It's so nice to have a good dealer that you can be comfortable with.... I am looking for a Chevrolet dealer that I am comfortable with I want to trad my 2003 4x4 Trailblazer for a HHR.. I think the Trailblazer is to heavy for me to tow
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

According to Chevrolet's web page the curb weight of the HHR curb weight of the 4x4 Trailblazer at 4500 pounds...

I would just be careful that,in order to gain 1000 pounds you will lose some of the comforts of the Trailblazer...As I personally use the Trailblazer as my "daily driver", I will stick with the Trailblazer.....at least until the four door Jeep Wrangler comes out.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeeB:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">rebelsbeach </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Looks like you got a good dealer there also..... It's so nice to have a good dealer that you can be comfortable with.... I am looking for a Chevrolet dealer that I am comfortable with I want to trad my 2003 4x4 Trailblazer for a HHR.. I think the Trailblazer is to heavy for me to tow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lee,

Try calling Jim Povio at Lithia Chrysler/Jeep in Burlingame. See if he can direct you to a Chevy dealer who will be reasonable. (He sent me to a friend at an Audi dealer for my wife's car).

Tell him Ed sent ya.

2003 KSDP
Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Hopefully you will be able to locate the solution to your odor problem,whether it's a loose vent fitting or something else...

While DeMartini is certianly a great dealer,with shops on the West Coast and now in Indiana, I am more than pleased with the EXCELLENT sales "experience" I've had with my new Essex from Howard RV in Wilmington,NC so far...

I am even able to report, having witnessed my best friend's entire purchase experience of a 2006 MADP recently from Howard as well,they have it "on the ball" as far as pricing, PDI and service after the sale is concerned.

For those of us on the "East Coast", we're fortunate to have our own little place to shop... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is really refreshing to find a dealer that will provide you with a reasonable deal without alot of BS and will also take care of any issues without frustation!

Glad you have a stand up dealer back there also!

2003 KSDP
Old 07-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #22

The "loose vent" could also be a defective vent. They cost less than $6.00 at Home Depot, and the home depot model was of better quality than what came on my 2000 HR Endeavor. Replacing the item (known also as a vacuum break) on the bath sink and the washer drain cured a problem we had that was very similar to the original problem in this thread.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #23

Ed you've received some good advice. After checking out the roof vents and other sensible options check out RV Flush companies. I recently reviewed one that seemed very candid in their info. So candid it looked like they were providing info that would put them out of business. They maintained that many owners using various toilet chemicals is the cause of sludge in the bottom. They specialize in removing that sludge with a high powered wash complete with video cam. According to them they have determined that the chemicals do exactly what they are supposed to do....break down the solids. They say the problem is that RVers don't properly flush their system. Some still leave the valves open all the time while others don't wait until the tank is full and let fly with insufficient flow to completely vacate the tank. If you can get to your tank and remove the intank flush you might be able to high pressure the bottom or at least put a rod in to see if you have a sludge bottom. Hope this helps.

94 Wanderlodge
Rob R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
After checking all the various "vent" items try the Geo Method of cleaning your tanks.

Do a normal dump and flush. But, before you go on the next outing fill each tank about 1/3 to 1/2 with fresh water. Now mix up about 2 or 3 cups of the cheapest dish washer soap powder and a 1 cup or so of Galgon in each tank. Be sure that you add enough water to the fresh tank to get all of the solution to the tank - clearing the P trap. Now hit the road and dump as soon as you get setup at your destination.

It took about 2 go a rounds to clean the tanks in my previous rig (class C with no flusher) clean. Depending on useage I do this about every 3 months.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #25

Had same problem. Newmar found some one in factory but screw in floor 7 missed beam & went into top of tank. Found problem by filling tank with water & water leaked out.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
grglunger welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
Stuff can happen 2 leaky toilets, broken bolt for step operation, toilet pipe falls out of floor flange into black tank, transfer switch OD'd, ignition cable burns up need tow day lay over to get fixed on trip. We all have some thing that can go wrong from any MFG. When towed to garage was parked next to Pace A with burnt out motor compartment and three slides out while towed into garage, cause of fire, screw thru harness wiring.
Now I hope I have a good coach but for some work on my part not a Dealers. Your gel-coat problem is a tuff one to take, have you been dealing direct with a Dealer or have you been talking direct to Newmar. I would make appointment with Newmar for a look and go from there. I have been to Newmar 3 times 3 coachs and was taken care of for more than I asked.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote