Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Black closed is a no brainer. The grey can differ depending on usage. I usually leave closed except for when showers or washing machine are in use. As others I like lots of grey water to flush the hose after dumping the black.
X2 on what vsheetz says! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
I don't have a stinky slinky out unless I am draining the tanks. The rest of the time it is in the storage compartment. I started doing this after I've had the hose stepped on or run over and ruined by who knows who.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Black closed is a no brainer. The grey can differ depending on usage. I usually leave closed except for when showers or washing machine are in use. As others I like lots of grey water to flush the hose after dumping the black.
Ditto
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I quoted this post over on the RV.NET forum (Good Sam) and am waiting to hear from GS on this info. If this is indeed the way that it is printed in the Directory, they (GS) need to print a retraction and fix all remaining Directories that haven't been sold.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #19

This is where it appears in print:Good Sam 79th Edition 2014 North American RV Travel Guide & Campground Directory. Page 56 and 57 in the article entitled Spreading Your Wings by Kristopher Bunker
dcrbmwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #20

Being that we have a sanicon system, I leave the gray tank open and black closed. This way, I do not have to worry about the gray tanks getting too full when we take showers and such. As others have said, I closed the gray tank the day before we are leaving the RV park, so I have enough gray water to flush the system
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #21

I keep both closed and dump both when my grey tank is nearly full, black first, then grey to flush the line and hose. I still managed to get sewer gnats one time & had a heck of a time getting rid of them!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Am I being far too cynical if I point out that the directory was written by a company with a highly vested interest in selling tank/dump parts and repairs?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
What gives is someone doesn't know what they are talking about.
Second.. that statement.

The author may be concerned about black tank overflow..

BUT the problem is this.. Unless you string your dump hose so there is a water trap (And in some places doing this is illegal, and yes, I'm prepared to back that up with the name of such a place, Las Vegas where it says a smooth slope to the hole in the ground (Slightly re-worded) ) sewer gasses from the hole in the ground come back to the RV

you ever see the add for the expensive and 100% usless tank odor control chemicals that show the RV with "Fumes" coming out the stink pipe (Tank vent) and nobody but flys close to it?

Well, that is what happens.

CLOSE BOTH VALVES till you need to dump, then dump. black, Rinse if rinsing, Dump Gray, and CLOSE THE VALVES.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our current practice is to close black and open grey tank valves when using FH. We use the washing machine a lot. Don't ask why we use it a lot. LOL

Anyway...I hadn't had any problem with creating a "P trap" with my slinky yet. That is what I do so far.

My concern is that according to nearly all of opinion I have read and operator manual instructions the grey tank "must" be open when using the washer. I'm not sure if that is to avoid over filling the grey tank or avoiding some kind of splash back because the washer might drain faster than a "closed" grey tank valve (yes, I know it is vented) can take.

BTW...I use my black tank rinse after every dump.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have 3 holding tanks, black, grey, and galley...don't ask me why because I don't have an answer. The galley tank will get filled real fast if a lot of dishes are washed. Also they plumbed the bathroom sink to the galley tank. So that one may get left open until the day before we leave.

The black never get's left open

The gray gets left open only if DW has washing to do.

Now, there are some units that have the washing machine plumbed to the outlet tube and not directly into a tank. If that is the case, then just the cap and a line run needs to be done. So it's brand specific on how the plumbing is done. When in doubt, check the manual/schematics.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I also leave my tanks closed until I am ready to empty them. Usually, I don't put the hose out until it is needed. But, even on a long stay, I would never leave my black tank open.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #27

Just because someone that should be experienced does it doesn't make it right. Ask the driver for a member of the Dave Matthews Band.

Matthews Band bus driver pleads guilty to dumping waste in river - chicagotribune.com
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrbmwc View Post
New Good Sam Campground Directory says leave black tank dump valve open while hooked up and keep grey tank dump valve shut. They state this in two places. What gives? Opinions and experience requested.
They may soon promote a new revenue source: black tank unclog and flushing service.
Discount with GS card.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote