Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I have done it with a macerator pump. Flowjet about $230 on amazon.

I also pump 86 feet into my bother-in-laws septic tank through a cleanout in front of the tank.
I also use the sewer clean out my clean out is over 80 ft. Away so I installed a macerated, which makes life very easy, not much poo to contend with!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #16

Just another data point on this topic. I too wanted to be able to dump my tanks at home but my city sewer connection leaves my house through the wall of my basement and my house is just old enough that there is no clean-out between the house and the street. So, I added a 4"x4"x1.5" sanitary-T to my waste stack in the basement and ran the 1.5" pipe out through my basement wall where it has a screw on cap. I can use this for the "output" hose of my flow-jet macerator when I have to empty at home. It works very well and saved the effort of installing a full-sized clean-out.

...ned.
ncoonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
IF you do it right (Do not add any noxicious chemicals like tank deorderant to your black tank) and only use water and.. Well, what you normally put in the toilet at home into the black tank, and water and what you normally drop down the sink or shower in the gray tank,, Then you are not puting any "Foreigen stuff" in the city sewer, Just what you'd have put in if you'd stayed home.
Last winter, I went to a county council budget meeting that discussed, among other things, the regulation about prohibiting rv/other discharges into the sewers. In addition to the fears about "foreign" stuff, there was also concern about loss of revenue. Sewer fees are calculated based on household water use. If "extra" liquids are put into the sewers, there would be no revenue generated - there was, in fact, more emphasis on the lost revenue than bad stuff being put into the sewer and subsequently treated for free. I asked, but never got a satisfactory answer about how much revenue could possibly be involved, but I guess when budgets are tight every little bit helps.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick

Last winter, I went to a county council budget meeting that discussed, among other things, the regulation about prohibiting rv/other discharges into the sewers. In addition to the fears about "foreign" stuff, there was also concern about loss of revenue. Sewer fees are calculated based on household water use. If "extra" liquids are put into the sewers, there would be no revenue generated - there was, in fact, more emphasis on the lost revenue than bad stuff being put into the sewer and subsequently treated for free. I asked, but never got a satisfactory answer about how much revenue could possibly be involved, but I guess when budgets are tight every little bit helps.
I guess following that logic they make extra money every time I add water to my swimming pool. Gotta love local government.
islecop92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #19

The sewer kit I purchased when I bought my mh came with an adaptor that screwed right into the clean out at the curb. Worked like a charm.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by islecop92 View Post
Ill have to check (quietly) about any regs. But the neighbors are all good friends
Maybe ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX

Maybe ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
Lol, true.

Thanks everybody for all the input. I'm new to this.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
jzick: Had the same discussion with the County Utility Authority here. Explained that I fill my fresh water tanks here prior to any trip with metered water that counts toward the utility fee and either dump that water elsewhere or here when I return. Overall revenue neutral, and they agreed.
My clean out is alongside my driveway.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #23

Don't know about the sewer issue. But a word of caution about dumping into a residential septic tank system. Dump a little at a time your house system is not designed to take 100-150 gallons through a 3.5'' hose all at one time, you might find a supprize inside your shower /tub.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Last winter, I went to a county council budget meeting that discussed, among other things, the regulation about prohibiting rv/other discharges into the sewers. In addition to the fears about "foreign" stuff, there was also concern about loss of revenue. Sewer fees are calculated based on household water use.
There's another way?

If "extra" liquids are put into the sewers, there would be no revenue generated - there was, in fact, more emphasis on the lost revenue than bad stuff being put into the sewer and subsequently treated for free. I asked, but never got a satisfactory answer about how much revenue could possibly be involved, but I guess when budgets are tight every little bit helps.
In my case, the water always comes from my house, so I'm not cheating them out or revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islecop92 View Post
The sewer kit I purchased when I bought my mh came with an adaptor that screwed right into the clean out at the curb. Worked like a charm.
Yep, my grey plastic adapter screws right into my clean out port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
jzick: Had the same discussion with the County Utility Authority here. Explained that I fill my fresh water tanks here prior to any trip with metered water that counts toward the utility fee and either dump that water elsewhere or here when I return. Overall revenue neutral, and they agreed.
My clean out is alongside my driveway.
Mine is about a foot from the sidewalk to my door and 20' from my MH. Been using it for over 12 years.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

My FIL lives in rural Minnesota in the >100 year farm house he grew up in. Sewer and water was put in a number of years ago but he insists on continuing to use his cistern to capture rain water for washing dishes, flushing toilets etc.

The town continues to threaten him and he continues to tell the town how likely he is to change.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #26

My cleanout is close to the street and has a screw off cap, and I use it when I have to clean out tanks after a trip...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #27

I turned my cap upside down so I won't break it by driving over it... again. The bottom side is now coated with JB Weld and is only on finger tight.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water