Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FWIW...

We used chemicals in our Winnebago because, perhaps, we didn't know better.

We started with our DSDP in January and decided to NOT do the same. We now have more $$$ in our pocket.

As mentioned earlier we use lots of water in the toilet. Perhaps more than needed but with full hook ups the only "inconvenience" is that we dump the black tank more often, perhaps once a week. Don't forget to add a couple gallons of water after you dump your black tank.

Besides making sure the tank ventilation system is working properly, don't use ceiling fans when flushing if you have all your windows closed. If the RV is opened up for fresh air, it shouldn't be a problem but even then I occasionally get the sewer smell but it is very faint and dissipates very quickly under those conditions.

As to "cleaning" the black tank we occasionally dump soapy dish water into it. I also use the tank sprayer about every other time. Using lots of water in the first place will do most of the work without much help.

Of course, hard core dry campers will need to balance water usage with convenience. Using lots of water can mean more trips to the dump station (with rig or honey pot) and trips for fresh water.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #16

A waste of water.

Black tank odor is caused by the proliferation of anaerobic bacteria. Happy Camper promotes aerobic bacteria that liquefies waste and kills anaerobic bacteria, facilitating dumping and eliminating odor. No need to use extra water beyond that initial two gallons to dissolve the product into an empty tank and what is used normally with flushing the toilet and using the bathroom sink. After first dumping a black tank that is at least half full, closing the black tank valve and emptying the grey water flushes the sewer outlet. Black tank flushing every time one dumps is unnecessary with Happy Camper. Using Happy Camper is economical and more environmentally friendly than any other method.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #17

I use "Pure Power Blue" with copious amounts of water. Maybe I don't need it but I have never had a problem and it is cheap. I never dump unless at least half full, I use a spray wand about every other dump because I really want my tank gauge to work again but honestly I just started using the spray wand. It is not necessary.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
A waste of water.

Using Happy Camper is economical and more environmentally friendly than any other method.
Sorry, I think plain old water's got the economical and environmentally friendly Happy Camper beat. I'm in Barb's camp on this. If you use your black tank like she said there is no odor nor a need for any enzymes or chemicals. It's a holding tank not a septic tank. Dump it at regular intervals and it will treat you right.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
Which enzyme cleaner have y'all had the best success with? Thanks!
We have used ONLY liquid Rid-X in both tanks for 12 years, (about 2oz in each tank after each dump).
No build up, no black, grey or perfume odor!

Some will say, "Rid-X is for septic tanks"!
I say, "What do they think is in a septic tank"?
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
When we had the S&B it had a septic tank. We asked several septic tank companies what should we add if anything and they said "Nothing unless you want to pay us extra to come out here more often" We asked about RidX and they said "Waste of money, every thing that needs to be in the septic tank is already there, no need to anything extra unless you want us out here more often, which we won't mind since that's more money for us" We heard that often enough and so did not use anything and never had a problem.

The tank for the RV is just a holding tank. Those chemicals/enzymes are not going to be in there long enough to do any good.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Sorry, I think plain old water's got the economical and environmentally friendly Happy Camper beat. I'm in Barb's camp on this. If you use your black tank like she said there is no odor nor a need for any enzymes or chemicals. It's a holding tank not a septic tank. Dump it at regular intervals and it will treat you right.
How much water is involved with "Add some water and keep using good amounts of water", specifically? Or an estimate.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
How much water is involved with "Add some water and keep using good amounts of water", specifically? Or an estimate.
While I don't have exact amounts...

1. After dumping the black tank I fill the bowl to the top and flush twice. That appears to be about 3 gallons.

2. When using the toilet, if it doesn't involve solid waste, I flush then hold the valve open (toe it up, flush ball closed) to add an extra inch or so of water.

3. When solids are involved I add 4-5" of water before I start use of toilet. The goal is to have more water in the toilet than solids while in use to avoid the "out house" smell before I flush. If the solids are not covered with water after I finish, I add more water before I flush.

Man...can't believe I'm even discussing "solids"!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
While I don't have exact amounts...

1. After dumping the black tank I fill the bowl to the top and flush twice. That appears to be about 3 gallons.

2. When using the toilet, if it doesn't involve solid waste, I flush then hold the valve open (toe it up, flush ball closed) to add an extra inch or so of water.

3. When solids are involved I add 4-5" of water before I start use of toilet. The goal is to have more water in the toilet than solids while in use to avoid the "out house" smell before I flush. If the solids are not covered with water after I finish, I add more water before I flush.

Man...can't believe I'm even discussing "solids"!
It's a crappy job but somebody has to do it.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And

This discussion has turned to crap!

FWIW I once drove an RV home for a cheapskate who refused to use tank chemicals. For some reason the interior filled with sewer smell as soon as we started moving. It was so bad that the owners son got physically ill.

I've used chemicals ever since.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
This discussion has turned to crap!

FWIW I once drove an RV home for a cheapskate who refused to use tank chemicals. For some reason the interior filled with sewer smell as soon as we started moving. It was so bad that the owners son got physically ill.

I've used chemicals ever since.
If the roof vent is open when traveling down the road it can cause the coach to have a lower air pressure then outside thus sucking sewer smell into the coach.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm1024 View Post
If the roof vent is open when traveling down the road it can cause the coach to have a lower air pressure then outside thus sucking sewer smell into the coach.
What smell? I use Happy Camper.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #27

Quote:
As jjm1024 says driving with a roof vent, (or windows open) can cause "negative pressure" in the cab/house, and some oder might/will get sucked into the coach.

However, if you drive with all of the windows and all of the vents closed... and if the toilet seal is doing it's job... and any/all air admittance valves are in working order.. and if all of the p-traps have water in them... the inside and outside air pressure will be nearly "equal".
When the inside/outside pressure is nearly equal, no smell from either waste tank will get into the cab/house of your coach, (no matter how dirty/stinky/full those tanks are)!

BTW, running the dash heat/air conditioner blower as you drive results in "positive inside pressure", (but only if/when the fan control is NOT set to "recirculate").

To keep sewer smells out, "positive pressure" is GOOD/BEST... "equal pressure" is OK... "negative pressure" is BAD.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Come to think about it, we seldom travel with the black with anything in it. One of my final steps in departure prep is to dump,the black tank, just before I pull the electrical plug.