Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #1

Been awhile since I posted and thanks for the help. Different problem now. Tank sensors show empty, but toilet will not flush. Knife edge works great but the waste will not go down.
Tried flushing tank from toilet, but does not go anywhere except over the tank. Any guess?

Thanks,
Randy
ROHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #2

Been awhile since I posted and thanks for the help. Different problem now. Tank sensors show empty, but toilet will not flush. Knife edge works great but the waste will not go down.
Tried flushing tank from toilet, but does not go anywhere except over the tank. Any guess?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 11-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I take it that you have tried dumping the black tank and it will not empty. If this is correct you have a blockage. Probably too much tissue at one time or a brand that does not break down easily. You will have to dissolve the blockage or call a septic tank or Porti Potty company to help you out. I had one customers coach with blockage that I had the pump truck connect to the dump hose of the tank and we sucked it out; blockage and all. This must be done carefully so as to not damage the tank. Let us know what you have been able to do so far.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:41 AM   #4

What will disolve it?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 11-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ROHawkins:

Thanks,
Randy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Randy,

Are we talking about the 91 Coachman here?

When you open the blackwater dump valve does anything at all drain out?

Is the soil pipe comming down from the toilet dislodged from the tank and no longer connected so everything pours out over the top of the tank instead of inside it?

If you have a bad buildup problem you may need a back flush unit such as the Flush King pictured at the link below:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ush-king/20522

From our sponsor you could get these two items to accomplish this also:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=745

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....OD&ProdID=2644

Put the back flush unit on the sewer outlet and close the dump valve on the back flush and connect your sewer drain hose from the back flush unit to the sewer drain/dump station.

Connect a garden hose to the flush port (not a good idea to use your drinking water hose).

Open the black water dump valve and turn on the water to the garden hose and open the baackflush valve to allow water to spray up into the black tank.

Being carefull not to overflow the tank let it backfill for a minute or so and then open the dump valve on the back flush unit. Keep doing this, closing the dump valve on the back flush unit to back wash the tank and then opening it to dump, until the clog is dislodged and the water runs clear.

You may also need to go in from above with a Johnny Wand such as the one at the link below:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....OD&ProdID=2699
Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #6

RO, The Wizard has it right. Most times it,s the TP ! (Ladies have a bad habit of LARGE WADS OF PAPER). I keep a Metal coat hanger (Straightened out of course) to stick down and break loose the obstruction, Try to back flush with a hose BUT BE VERY CAREFULL !!! (And Quick)

Help from a "Porta Potti Co is probaly the best thing to try.

Good Luck and Best regards, Clyde
Old 11-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If your tank is empty but the waste will not leave the bowl and go down the drain, I'd say the blockage is between the toilet bowl and the tank. That's not unusual, because the amount of water used to flush is small and large clumps of paper or other stuff may lodge in the pipe. Especially if it has a bend in it, as many do. A standard toilet "snake" should break it loose, but you could try a waste digester or drain cleaner chemical first. Any product rated OK for septic tanks should be ok to use.

However, this sentence
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tried flushing tank from toilet, but does not go anywhere except over the tank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Puzzles me. Are you saying that water runs over the top (exterior) of the tank? That would indicate a breakage in the waste line from toilet to tank. Obviously a bad thing and needing professional repair.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you find that the problem is paper blockage, prevent a reoccurance by filling the bowl with more water prior to flushing.

Most people do not fill the bowl untill the contents float. That is a practise that will allow for paper build under the enterance to the tank.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My toilet was blocked and I found that if I let the bowl fill (lifting up on the flush pedal) with clean water before flushing it, and repeating that 3 or 4 times, the clog would blow out into the tank and would clean it out. In retrospect, I realized that the clue it was starting to plug is that there would be a big bubble when it flushed. Next time I see a big bubble, I will do the full flush routine before it clogs.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
First, I would try a plunger. I've been able to dislodge a couple of clogs, but I had to really push the plunger down hard and quick, and it took a half dozen tries.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
My toilet was blocked and I found that if I let the bowl fill (lifting up on the flush pedal) with clean water before flushing it, and repeating that 3 or 4 times, the clog would blow out into the tank and would clean it out. In retrospect, I realized that the clue it was starting to plug is that there would be a big bubble when it flushed. Next time I see a big bubble, I will do the full flush routine before it clogs.
use the search function and search for "poop stick".
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a couple of posibilities, But a question: Have you tried taking a dump, that is dumping the black tank,, Just cause it SHOWS empty does not mean it IS empty, in fact unless you have some delux sensors, or just power washed them, the fact it shows EMPTY suggests there is a problem (It is not normal for those sensors to show empty unless you do a lot of work,, Mine do just now, but I did a lot of work)

So verify sensor woudl be step one

#2: I've had the tube between the toilet and the tank clog I mean... Well in Music horn players have several different types of devices called "MUTES" One horn player was telling students once, as he demonstrated one type of mute, that most all musical insturments can be purchased use, but this one, you always buy new, never used

It's called a Plunger mute.. and yes, you get it not at the music store, but in the plumbing section of the hardware store, The musical use is "Off label"

Had to use one "on label" a few times