Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Blind cord repair

For the first time ever I have broken a day/night shade cord. Now I know this really exciting to most of you. I need to know if there are places that will replace these cords. I am in no way patient enough to do it mysef or dexterious enough, besides I'm nursing a broken shoulder right now. I note the shade that is broken only has a single strand--the rest have double cords. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #2

Wow, I feel for you, wish I could help but I don't have any experience in this area. I've always wondered if the cords broke on these are they "junk" or if they could be repaired.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When ours break,,,,,,they get replaced with dependable blinds. My DW is not a fan of those.

I believe Tiffin will fix them for their customers?,,,,,not sure about Itasca,,,
Old 02-13-2010, 12:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Homer, repairing the day/night shades is not that hard. I have repaired one on my Dutch Star this past month and this past week, helped a "Winter Texan" down here in the valley parked next to me repair his.
Taking down and putting up was my problem. And that really is not a problem, a few screws to deal with, but not a problem. Taking apart the shade is also easy and just as easy to put back together. I used a 3 stran nylon trout-line for my replacement cord. A lot stronger and should last forever. I used a toothpick to poke the new cord thru the holes in the shades.
Took me about 30 mins to do the repair to the shade and about a hour in total. This is true for my coach and for my neighbor's 5th wheel.
My attitude was that it was broke when I started and I could do no more damage, so I just went for it. When I saw the construction of the shades, I remembered the new spool of nylon cord in my fishing box and was surprised as to how easy it was to repair.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #5

D.Polka; Iam going yo save your post to refer to when I get home. By then the shoulder should be in better shape. I am good at taking things apart, I will go from there. THAN YOU
Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know it looks like an impossible job, but as it turns out they are not that hard to re-string yourself.. I had to do one of mine (partially) the other day.

There are basically 3 places I know of where you may find the diagram to re-string them.

One is the files seciton here

Second, RV.NET (Likewise in the files seciton)

Third is Welcome to The RV Forum

I'm not sure which of those 3 I saw the diagram in.. However in my case I worked it out (Since the "Break" was right at the end of the cord (The bobbin) All I had to do was the bottom most section... When I got to it it was easy.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
paz

One source for supplies and instructions is Fix My Blinds. We used to buy the cord in 300' spools, but we just replaced our shades with MCD American Duo shades so we won't be doing any more restringing.

Dirty Blind Man
is another source for supplies and instructions. I think he also goes to RV shows and does repairs. I've never dealt with him, but I see the name mentioned a lot.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
csp

Monaco Owners Club
A little of the subject but can anyone tell me how to find out if I can get the repair kit for my window blinds or if they are not part of the blind recall. I have two young kids and I now tie them to the cabinet handles because after seeing what happens on the news I am paranoid. A web site or phone number would be really helpful.
Thank You Chris
Old 02-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Homer,
I had to repair a few on a Winnebago that I had owned. WIT club had a "service tip" that showed how to repair them. Here is the link http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...t%20Blinds.pdf
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fix my blinds website has instructions you can download to restring the blinds. I chose not to use their restring kit but go with barided dacron fishing line, much more abrasion resistant. Restring is not that difficult but does take some time.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For what its worth...I met a lady at the Houston RV show that repairs shades. She recommends waxing the strings that run through the blind material. She claims it will help with the friction and as such, the wear.

I neither recommend nor do I endorse her comments. I'm just repeating them.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
One source for supplies and instructions is Fix My Blinds. We used to buy the cord in 300' spools, but we just replaced our shades with MCD American Duo shades so we won't be doing any more restringing.

Dirty Blind Man
is another source for supplies and instructions. I think he also goes to RV shows and does repairs. I've never dealt with him, but I see the name mentioned a lot.

PAZ: Really interested in your replacement solution. The blind I have broken is the largest one in the coach. I am curious if you had to have your replacement custom made. Did you get it from specialty store or a big box hardware? You may PM me.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just had one if my blinds repaired while I was in Quertzsite for a week. As I watched the process, I can tell you the taking down is the hard part, mostly due to the valances. One tip I can pass on is that the repair person wrapped the ends of the string in masking tape for about 1-11/2 inches to enable passing the string easily through the pleats. Be sure to leave yourself plenty of slack and be sure to check the little plastic tie off posts mounted to the wall. These can crack easily and should be replaced to prevent issues.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We took care of our day night shades-ordered wood miniblinds.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote