Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #1

Was wondering what others put under tires when parked for extended periods of time. Do you use something when parked directly on ground or concrete ? I was thinking of buying some of those plastic cutting boards which would be light weight and easy to stack.

2009 Crossroads Zinger pulled by a 2013 Chevy 4X4 Pickup. R.I.P. Kendall 3/17/2011
Two Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #2

Was wondering what others put under tires when parked for extended periods of time. Do you use something when parked directly on ground or concrete ? I was thinking of buying some of those plastic cutting boards which would be light weight and easy to stack.

2009 Crossroads Zinger pulled by a 2013 Chevy 4X4 Pickup. R.I.P. Kendall 3/17/2011
Old 01-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use "landing strips" from http://www.rangerdesign.com. They are around $40 for a set of 4 for a motorhome with rear duals. You can probably come up with something cheaper, though cutting boards may be kind of pricey in a large enough size to fit under truck sized duals.

We use $5 cutting boards for jack pads to help prevent leaving jack prints in pavement, and to discourage the jacks from sinking into dirt or gravel. They bend without breaking, and regain their flat shape after use. Without them, we often found the jack feet covered with large chunks of gravel (dangerous to fellow travelers on the highway) or dirt.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We don't use anything when parked - up to about 2 months without any movement at all. I personally don't feel any such action is required to get 6 years of life out of the tires - and they won't last 7 years no matter what I do.

Just my opinion - others will disagree.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have never used anything under my tires and I've been rving since 1973. And, never had a flat tire or a tire problem.

Tom
Crystal River, FL

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #6

I have been using bricks under all 6 wheels of my 2002 Winnie Adventurer. Seems to work OK. I use wooden blocks under the jacks when needed, otherwise nothing under jacks.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:37 AM   #7

Never have used anything under tires. I do cover tires though.
Use wood blocks under jacks. Have had zero problems with tires.

Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In you're just interested in supporting tires, bricks will be fine as long as you insure there is enough to fully support the entire contact surface of all tires.

If you're interested in a vapor barrier to prevent the parking surface from leaching moisture out of the tires, bricks won't help much at all.

I've read a lot about the "need" for vapor barriers, and tire mfg recommendations to use something. I suspect a bigger concern for most RV owners will be leaving the rig sitting for long periods of time. If you use it at regularly, that will help keep the tires flexible. That, and covering the tires to protect them from UV deterioration, would be the two primary things you can do to help the tires serve you dependably 5-7 years. Using a vapor barrier, especially if parked on concrete, is defense #3 for me, and no where close to being as important as the first two.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two Sides,
I use plastic mats that the kids use for sliding down hills. Here's a link to the Wacky Mat that I use.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #10

Canuck, I clicked on your link, but when I did search for Wacky mat it gave me no results

Old 01-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TwoSides,
Sorry about that. Try searching on Wacky Carpet, which is the actual name. The link should take you directly to the page containing this item. If not, drop me an email and I'll send you a picture of the item.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #12

I park mine on 3/4" 4' x 8' plywood sheets at home mainly to protect the ashphalt and reduce the tire PSI. In the south at my site I use those flexible cutting boards, again mainly to protect the decorative concrete finish that is coated with an appoxi finish. I guess both act as a semi barrier at least the plywood keeps the tires higher than the drive surface.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #13

Well I guess that really wasn't the answers I was looking for. I have read several posts in other forums that say giving your tires a barrier extends the life of them. Thanks for all your posts. Think I will try the flexible cutting board idea.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well I guess that really wasn't the answers I was looking for. I have read several posts in other forums that say giving your tires a barrier extends the life of them. Thanks for all your posts. Think I will try the flexible cutting board idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RV tires are good for 5 or 6 years. How many more years do you want to extend your tire life???

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote