Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Blowing 20amp circuit on Shore Power

Every time I plug in my shore power to a 20 amp circuit at my home it causes my breaker to flip (home side). Therefore, I can't keep the batteries charged or anything. Of course, the 50 amp line runs the coaches needs flawlessly at campgrounds. I do change the control panel to 20 amp instead of 30 amp when I try this at home, but it never fails to blow the circuit even when I'm running nothing except charging the batteries. Even after a long trip when the batteries should be fully charged and not running anything that draws a substantial current, I plug it in to the 20 amp line it and it blows. Any ideas?? The rig is 2010 Fleetwood Discovery if that makes a difference. Thanks
mdbaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Something's not right. Have you tried extending to an outlet on another circuit or plugging into a 20 amp circuit at a CG to test it? I'm currently spending a month at my FILs and limited to a 15 amp circuit stretched on a long cable run and I've been doing fine. Have you limited your battery charger to avoid it going into bulk mode and drawing too much power when you first plug in? It can draw up to 25 amps if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did try a different circuit that has only one outdoor outlet on it that I'm running the extension cord from, but to no avail.
How do I limit the battery charger from going into bulk mode?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

How are you connecting the 50 amp shore cable to the smaller outlet?
if you could attach a picture of the adapters might help.
You mentioned 50 to 30 amp service worked,now what or how do you step down to the 15 / 20 amp outlet?
Thinking something is not connecting properly across the adapters.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a similar experience at a local campground. We were placed at a 20amp site and it kept shutting down my coach, even without turning anything on in the coach. When we were switched to a 30 amp site...everything was fine. When I am plugged into my home, my EMS indicator said that I was running on 20/30 amps.

I was mystified so I called Fleetwood and they told me that my Revolution has basic needs and that my charger might drawer close to 20 amps and if the campground service was even a tad lower than 20 amp, it would not have enough "juice" to start the charger (converter/inverter) and thus, would shut down the coach. My house where I plug in when I am home runs between 20 and 30 amps and is therefore enough.

I have resigned myself to finding at least 30 amp sites and if I cannot, then I will run my gennie or use my inverter.

I am grateful that I have those options.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your inverter, hot water heater, would do it.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Inverter, water heater and frig all all up to a substantial amount of amps. Make sure you have them OFF.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbaggs View Post
How do I limit the battery charger from going into bulk mode?
Thanks
I have a Dimensions Inverter/Charger and there is a "charger draw" button just under the display where I can click through the AC Draw options from 25 amps to Charger Off. I limit it to 5amps when on limited shore power. I think your charger will go into bulk mode if the batteries drop to around 12.4v.

In addition I put the water heater and fridge on LP.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Are you plugging into GFCI circuits? They usually will trip when a MH is hooked to them.

DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think maybe the problem is solved for now. I went into the menu's on the inverters and was able to limit the draw down to 15 amps. My rig actually has two inverters, one is supposedly dedicated to the residential frig and it was set to draw up to 30 amp. There is also a 5 amp setting as well. I changed that one, but didn't have to change the other as it was already set to 15 amps. On the other I also changed the Charge % from 100% to 50% which I assume will reduce the draw to charge the house batteries when they go to low.
So far, so good, its been plugged in for about 8 hrs now without tripping the breaker. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
You need to get an electrician out to your house and set up a separate circuit at proper amperage for your coach.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbaggs View Post
I think maybe the problem is solved for now. I went into the menu's on the inverters and was able to limit the draw down to 15 amps. My rig actually has two inverters, one is supposedly dedicated to the residential frig and it was set to draw up to 30 amp. There is also a 5 amp setting as well. I changed that one, but didn't have to change the other as it was already set to 15 amps. On the other I also changed the Charge % from 100% to 50% which I assume will reduce the draw to charge the house batteries when they go to low.
So far, so good, its been plugged in for about 8 hrs now without tripping the breaker. Thanks everyone.
Wish my Bounder had those power lowering options. I live in my MH, here in the Mojave desert.

Last summer I ran one a/c, fridge, converter, and hotshot water heater all on a 20amp house plug in my MH. No problems. Now it is 105*F every day, and breaker was tripping every 15min. Wiring was very hot. Breakers trip when they 'overheat' from the current draw.

There was an empty 30amp breaker in the main box, and the wiring to that outlet I use is very large (heavy), so I switched it over to that 30amp breaker. Now, no problems.

Also, a breaker will 'go bad' sooner when it trips alot. It 'wears out'.

Tags
power