Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Blowing fuse when shifting from NN to D

Hi , I am new here so hopefully I am following protocol. I've always read forums and never registered but I figured it was time.
My wife and I sold our house 6 months ago to become full timers. We bought a 2008 Winnebago destination diesel. We traveled 9000 miles the last few months with minimal issues. No major breakdowns, just minor things. Owning travel trailers, I'm somewhat familiar with things but as you all know this is a whole different ball game!
We have been sitting here in our current spot (Santa Rosa Beach, FL)for 6 weeks and packed up yesterday to move. When I started the rig up and went to shift from NN to D (arens electronic shifter with Allison trans) the display went dead. Figured out I blew the two 10amp fuses for the shifter. Replaced them and tried again. Same thing.
We had some house battery issues recently (me learning the hard way about keeping water in them) but they had been doing their job (barely) so we held off replacing. There was a lot of corrosion so I figured it was time, and thought it could be the source of our issue. Replaced the house batteries, cleaned all corrosion. And it's doing the same thing! The chassis batteries look fine (no visible corrosion) and it always fires up no problem.
I am at a loss now. I've read it could be a grounding issue but everything I see looks good. Is there a ground I don't know about outside of the fuse panel box? (there's two grounds behind this). Both look super clean and are tight.
I've also read there is a fuse near or in the battery compartment relating to the trans but I don't see this... And even if that fuse was blown.. Would it still come up on th display in NN with new fuses?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! And if I haven't included enough info or over explained, please forgive me. Thanks a lot !
-Alec

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #2

From your post I assume this problem arose after you replaced the batteries? I'm pretty sure the shifter is powered by the chassis batteries so is there any chance you got something mixed up between the two battery banks during the replacement of the house batteries? Did you happen to take some pics of the hook up before you removed the batteries for reference?

If it has been working, I would tend to focus on what has changed to cause the problem.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #3

No. This was happening before I replaced the batteries. We had some instances unrelated where we had low battery lights when plugged into shore power but just put it off on replacing.

I changed the batteries thinking that might be the cause.

My thoughts exactly on the chassis battery powering that.. All is working fine with the new batteries as it was but its still blowing the two fuses as before so that wasn't the source.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

So the problem just started since you were parked in this last spot? Prior to that, it worked OK?
And you did not make any changes?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

That's correct. We had traveled 9000 miles prior to this stop with no issues. Now this was our longest stop by far, but we have not changed anything.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #6

Assuming the transmission shifter is tied into the ECM and nothing has changed, then my guess is the problem is in the ECM. You did say you can start the engine right?
Long shot, but, can you take a look under the coach around the transmission area for loose or disconnected wiring? Thinking along the lines of a wiring problem due to critters? Or up front along the firewall/generator area.
A friend had a rat problem on his Ventana a while back.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

Yes. I can start it even after the fuses are blown.

I'm still learning the terminology.. What's the ECM?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #8

This is a long shot too.. But we do have dogs that are free to roam when we are gone. They normally don't mess with anything but I am also checking under the steering wheel. I found one connector that isn't plugged into anything. (BB J 1939). It doesn't appear to have enough slack to plug into anything though. How can I submit pictures?
Old 10-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleckimball View Post
Yes. I can start it even after the fuses are blown.

I'm still learning the terminology.. What's the ECM?
Sorry, Engine Control Module. The Alison ties into the ECM to control shifting based on road speed, engine RPM etc. if you can locate the module (likely in a basement compartment) you could try unplugging the cable that comes from the transmission to see if it still blows a fuse.

Short of something fairly obvious, I don't know what else to tell you other than to contact a Cummins dealer to see if they can send a tech out to diagnose. Or, call the chassis builder (Frieghtliner?) and ask if they can help.
Some RV Repair shops or Truck Shops may be able to assist also.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

Quote:
This is a long shot too.. But we do have dogs that are free to roam when we are gone. They normally don't mess with anything but I am also checking under the steering wheel. I found one connector that isn't plugged into anything. (BB J 1939). It doesn't appear to have enough slack to plug into anything though. How can I submit pictures?
Under the dash you are likely to find redundant plugs for optional equipment etc that are not used.
To post a picture, you can scroll down below the Submit Reply button. You will see Manage Attachments, click on that and you will see where you can attach photos from your computer/iPad etc.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #11

Well.... It turns out the 1939 plug is the same wire numbers on the green ground from the back of the arens...which would make total sense. Hopefully not just a coincidence! Just can't find anything obvious it should be plugged into..
Old 10-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Well.... It turns out the 1939 plug is the same wire numbers on the green ground from the back of the arens...which would make total sense. Hopefully not just a coincidence! Just can't find anything obvious it should be plugged into..
It can be difficult to make sense of these systems without a wiring diagram. A call to your chassis manufacturer or Winny on Monday might be best. Have your coach serial number handy.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM   #13

Great.. Thanks for the help Dennis! I will try that tomorrow. I'll post any updates
Old 10-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Great.. Thanks for the help Dennis! I will try that tomorrow. I'll post any updates
Good Luck, keep us posted,,,,

Tags
fuse, shifter