Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

I'm having a problem of blowing the fuse in the motorhome that operates the brake lights and hazard lights. This only happens when I tow my Jeep and use the hazard/flasher lights. Everything else works fine, i.e. taillights, turn signals, and brake lights, until I turn on the hazard lights. This fuse (15 amp) works both the brake lights and hazard lights so when it blows I have no brake lights. The hazard lights will, however, work for 10 to 15 seconds before the fuse blows. I'm thinking that the flasher is creating more heat or drawing more amps than if I just use the brake lights. By wiring the Jeep lights into the circuit I'm only adding two more lights. Is this normal and is there a fix without having to rewire this circuit with a larger gauge wire and fuse?
CYOUL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #2

I'm having a problem of blowing the fuse in the motorhome that operates the brake lights and hazard lights. This only happens when I tow my Jeep and use the hazard/flasher lights. Everything else works fine, i.e. taillights, turn signals, and brake lights, until I turn on the hazard lights. This fuse (15 amp) works both the brake lights and hazard lights so when it blows I have no brake lights. The hazard lights will, however, work for 10 to 15 seconds before the fuse blows. I'm thinking that the flasher is creating more heat or drawing more amps than if I just use the brake lights. By wiring the Jeep lights into the circuit I'm only adding two more lights. Is this normal and is there a fix without having to rewire this circuit with a larger gauge wire and fuse?
CYOUL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #3

When you add the toad to the light circuit, with the additional bulbs, you are overloading the existing fuse. You could go up one size fuse. Just be careful you do not overload the wires and flasher relays. I blew the stop light switch on mine.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my Honda CRV brake and parking lights with LED's to increase their brightness when towing. I think the low amp draw of the LED's may also solve your problem. Read all the info at this site and see what you think:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have the blue coiled 6-pin cable for your toad connection, pull the back off each of the connectors and make sure all the wires are securely held in by the little set screws. Mine were all loose, and depending on how the cable was moved, a wire would occasionally touch ground and blow a fuse. This was super frustrating because it was intermittent. You may not have this problem, cause it seems that your problem happens only under known circumstances.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Do not increase the fuse size. The wiring gage is protected by the proper size fuse. You will need to find the short or high current condition and repair it. Another option is to replace fuse with an auto reset breaker.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:51 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your toad probably has seperate bulbs for 4 ways than brake lights. If so they make an adaptor to take care of that. It converts your single bulb t/s brake lights to seperate t/s brake lights. hope this helps.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #8

We had the same problem with our jeep, also the center information display would show a burnt out bulb in the jeep. in the wiring harness there was a couple of "magic boxes" converters that went bad that are connected between the trailer harness and rear lights on the jeep.

we just went with the L E D's and that fixed the problem. it was the extra amp draw of the lights causing the problem.

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 AM   #9

I had the same problem as wilanddij. Tighten all connections and never had the problem again.

Ron
The Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote