Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Blown compressor?

Yesterday while running the front A/C on our new to us 2014 RED 33AA the coach filled with a sort of mist/fog. I thought it might be due to the high outside temp, 100 and the cooler inside temp causing something like condensation. However, now it doesn't cool and when turned on is only showing as drawing 8 amps on our progressive ems. My guess is the compressor is not working because if it was I think the draw would be more like 14-15 amps. I checked the breaker in the coach and it looks fine but did reset it. Still not blowing cold.

I'm thinking we will be looking at a new A/C. If that's the case can we replace this one with one with a heat pump. The rear unit has a heat pump but not the front unit. Is there a reason why we can't have heat pumps on both? Input and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You say mist/fog: what did it smell like? There is a recent thread where a member had a motor capacitor in their air conditioner burn up and melt, and it filled the coach with a smoke/fog. But in that case it definitely smelled like burned electronics smoke.

The first thing I would do is get up on the roof and take the cover off the air conditioner. There is usually compressor oil mixed in with the refrigerant, so if the refrigerant escaped, there could be an oily residue in the vicinity of the leak. While up there, check the wiring and motor capacitors for evidence of problems.

If it's a refrigerant leak, upgrading your air conditioner might make sense as the repair cost could be expensive. If it's a capacitor, it's a cheap fix.

Whether you can upgrade to a heat pump will depend on the brand/model of the units you have now, and how they are controlled. If they are standalone units with the controls right on them, you should be able to replace it with anything. If they are combined with a central thermostat/control panel, then you will have to use something that is compatible with your controls. In that case, the fact that the rear is a heat pump is a good sign that the controls can handle it, but you might have to do some reprogramming of the controls when you install a new unit.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

There was no notable smell. Talked with RV shop today and think refrigerant leak. Still within 2 year warranty so may be ok. I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Coo, warranty! That would be a great resolution, I hope it works out for you.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor