RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Blown fuses

I have a 2004 Coachman Freelander that I am trying to replace a 15 amp fuse on. I turn off the main power switch, install the new fuse, turn on the power and "POP" goes the fuse. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to accept the new fuse but have gone through 6 fuses with no luck. Anyone out there that can suggest a solution would be much appreciated!

Newbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #2

What is the 15 amp fuse controlling/protecting ? It sounds like a dead short, maybe a hot wire has rubbed raw and is touching metal (ground).

Old 06-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You apparently have a dead short in that circuit. What does the fuse control? Check you schematics for the usage on that circuit. Eddie Elk
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

agree with the above or that circuit requires a larger fuse (20-amp?). what is the circuit controlling?
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
It's not a fuse problem at all, its at the other end where the power is being used. I don't mean any disrespect but do not add a higher amp fuse because the lower is failing. Like others have said, find out what is the fuse powering? I would be shocked if there isn't a break in the wire or the end of the wire is exposed and shorting the fuse.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:53 PM   #6

Fuse is blowing because it is doing what it is designed to do..protection of the circuit/wiring.
Until you inspect/ID what is shorted all the fuses will continue to blow
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #7

my point was to be certain that the circuit is designed to support 15-amps. wouldn’t be the first time the wrong fuse was used.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Thank you and update

The fuse is for the control panel that gives you readings on the level of the tanks and battery level. I'm fairly new to RV'S and am not sure how or where to check for a "dead short." Please keep the suggestions flowing. I'm a real novice when it comes to electronics in cars or RVs. Thx!!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie54 View Post
The fuse is for the control panel that gives you readings on the level of the tanks and battery level. I'm fairly new to RV'S and am not sure how or where to check for a "dead short." Please keep the suggestions flowing. I'm a real novice when it comes to electronics in cars or RVs. Thx!!
Turning odd the main switch will not help unless you turn off the 120 main breaker AND disconnect the battery. 120 powers the converter that is charging the battery

What at does the fuse panel label say? Do you have a picture? What circuit does it control?? Make and model of the rig. #of the fuse slot?. Maybe someone has the same rig.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

I'm going to disconnect the battery and then try it and report back. As mentioned above, it's a 2004 Coachman Freelander. Wish me luck!
Old 06-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #11

I love this forum!! When I started this, I hadn't disconnected the batteries. I did that and, VOILA, it worked!!
I am assuming that there was still to much current in the DC system for the new fuses to handle, even though I had shut off the 120 vold breakers and she wasn't plugged into shore power.
Now I get to buy more 15 amp fuses to replace all the ones I blew up:-(( Thanks to everyone that chimed in and offered suggestions, it is very much appreciated!
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie54 View Post
I love this forum!! When I started this, I hadn't disconnected the batteries. I did that and, VOILA, it worked!!
I am assuming that there was still to much current in the DC system for the new fuses to handle, even though I had shut off the 120 vold breakers and she wasn't plugged into shore power.
Now I get to buy more 15 amp fuses to replace all the ones I blew up:-(( Thanks to everyone that chimed in and offered suggestions, it is very much appreciated!

Battery disconnected ......OK
FUSE didn't blow
What happens when you reconnect the battery??

Fuses blow due to amps not voltage
15A fuse blows when there is more then 15A on the circuit
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Battery disconnected ......OK
FUSE didn't blow
What happens when you reconnect the battery??

Fuses blow due to amps not voltage
15A fuse blows when there is more then 15A on the circuit
I agree,, there's something screwy with this picture.

The OP stated in his opening post, that he turned power off then replaced the fuse. That the fuse went in fine but then blew when he restored power. This tells us that he is indeed removing power from the circuit,,, the same thing that would occur if batteries and convertor were turned off.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #14

To start diagnosing this short you could open up the control panel this fuse is protecting and disconnect the 12v power lead. When you replace the fuse if it doesn't blow there's and issue in the panel, if the fuse blows there's a short in the power lead somewhere between the fuse up to the panel. Good luck

RVingNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, fuses