Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Blown hose, HWH leveling and slide system

So, here I am, in the middle of New Mexico, at a small park for the night, push the auto level button. I hear the pump start up, but it sounds different, as in no load different.
My first thought was a bad shuttle valve, ( had to replace one of those a couple years ago ), so I step out of my MH, and see a large pool of fluid under my step. Long story short, a hose had blown off the fitting!!!
Talked to a dealership, seems HWH basically makes them to order, no one stocks them. Talked with an RV repair shop, he told me HWH wouldn't even sell him hoses...
Moral of the story, I took the bad hose to a NAPA parts store, they had the right size fittings, made me a hose on the spot. It is a little larger diameter (1/4"), but rated at 6000 lbs.
Cost out the door after discounts, about $60.00. Took about an hour to install, ( I'm slow ) system works fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Good for you. NAPA is hard to beat.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a Georgetown that blew every hose... Went to Napa and had them make me all new hoses..Higher pressure rating.. No problem since
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINADR View Post
So, here I am, in the middle of New Mexico, at a small park for the night, push the auto level button. I hear the pump start up, but it sounds different, as in no load different.
My first thought was a bad shuttle valve, ( had to replace one of those a couple years ago ), so I step out of my MH, and see a large pool of fluid under my step. Long story short, a hose had blown off the fitting!!!
Talked to a dealership, seems HWH basically makes them to order, no one stocks them. Talked with an RV repair shop, he told me HWH wouldn't even sell him hoses...
Moral of the story, I took the bad hose to a NAPA parts store, they had the right size fittings, made me a hose on the spot. It is a little larger diameter (1/4"), but rated at 6000 lbs.
Cost out the door after discounts, about $60.00. Took about an hour to install, ( I'm slow ) system works fine.
LINADR,
Outstanding. It's nice to be able to diagnose an issue, figure out a solution, and, get it done, without any hiccups. On that HWH system, it could have been a lot tougher to diagnose and repair. Glad you got it done.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #5

I'm going to have a good look at the service manual again. The hose that blew actually goes to the timing cylinder for the large slide. Don't know why that would pressurize during the jacks cycle. Guess I'll find out...
Old 05-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm going to have a good look at the service manual again. The hose that blew actually goes to the timing cylinder for the large slide. Don't know why that would pressurize during the jacks cycle. Guess I'll find out...
LINADR,
It's ironic that you mention that. The reason is, I was talking with one of the owners of 3 Ts RV here in Lake Havasu City AZ about an issue I was having with a slide ram for the bed room. It was leaking and I had one serious pain in the a$$ time of removing it, rebuilding it and replacing it. But, I mentioned to them that, even with the one slide ram completely out, the slide wanted to "creep" in. They stated that there's pressure on that "equalizing" ram, all the time.

So, in your situation, it could be like ours and, maybe it's supposed to have pressure on it, much of the time and, it just gave way, at the time you were doing Jack operations.
Scott
Old 05-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
LINADR, can you tell me more about your previous problem with the "shuttle valve"?

I've been having trouble retracting all 4 jacks. Push store button nothing happens. Walked outside to manually open the solenoids with 1/4 inch nut driver. Before I touched anything, they suddenly retracted. A week later, would not retract even with the solenoids open manually 3-4 turns. Service manual said it could be the shuttle valve.

Is the shuttle valve something I can take out and clean? What the heck does the shuttle valve do anyway?

Thanks for any help on this,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

The BEST thing to do, is if you ever get anywhere close to IOWA, call HWH, make an appointment, they will totally go through your system, trouble-shoot it, and fix it!

We ended up needing 4 recon jacks which for the four, were about the same price as one new one. It has worked GREAT for the last four years without any problems.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
The BEST thing to do, is if you ever get anywhere close to IOWA, call HWH, make an appointment, they will totally go through your system, trouble-shoot it, and fix it!

We ended up needing 4 recon jacks which for the four, were about the same price as one new one. It has worked GREAT for the last four years without any problems.
MikeandClaudia,
Yep, it would be nice to cruise on into HWH to get many things related to the Jack and slide system either looked at, repaired, replaced etc. but, for many of us, that's on the other side of the world so, we'd like to do anything we can for ourselves to keep the system(s) working efficiently. I too have heard and read of many on here that have replaced the "Shuttle Valve" so, I too would like to know what it does, what it looks like, and, can it be removed, cleaned or rebuilt (O-rings or whatever)??
Scott
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
MikeandClaudia,
Yep, it would be nice to cruise on into HWH to get many things related to the Jack and slide system either looked at, repaired, replaced etc. but, for many of us, that's on the other side of the world so, we'd like to do anything we can for ourselves to keep the system(s) working efficiently. I too have heard and read of many on here that have replaced the "Shuttle Valve" so, I too would like to know what it does, what it looks like, and, can it be removed, cleaned or rebuilt (O-rings or whatever)??
Scott
I called HWH this morning and said I should expect a call back next Tuesday. With a ton of these systems aging and wearing out, you'd think HWH would beef up their service department.

Scott, I hope to get some of these answers and I'll reply back here.

Bill
Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I called HWH this morning and said I should expect a call back next Tuesday. With a ton of these systems aging and wearing out, you'd think HWH would beef up their service department.

Scott, I hope to get some of these answers and I'll reply back here.

Bill
Bill,
Thanks a heap for this info. HWH, like many business and manufacturing entities across the U.S., most likely struggles to keep an even keel in todays world of competition and, progression. I have no idea of their size and, amount of personnel but, I do continue to read of and hear that there's long delays in call backs, help, parts dispensing and more. Quality trained and experienced personnel to help with "after the sales" customer issues and complaints are probably few and far between.

The company sells and, has sold, like you say, "tons" of systems but, maybe has not increased personnel to off-set the after effects of that volume of sales. So, all we can do out here in the jungle is, wait and hope for the best. Thanks again and, awaiting updates.
Scott

P.S. How's the new bikes doing?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #12

Bill, my understanding of the shuttle valve is that it ports fluid to either the jacks or the slides.

It could be the cause of your problems. The valve is pretty easy to change, I did not see any way to clean the one I replaced, nor do I think they are serviceable.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #13

I got an email from a HWH employee, and the guy that told me they would not sell parts to him is incorrect. If you sound smarter than a brick, they will sell you the parts you need.

Just wanted to set the record straight on that point...
Old 05-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Lindar. You got me inspired to search for more info and I found a detailed HWH document on the hydraulic systems including the function of the shuttle valve.
Copy of the text:
"4-2.1.3.1 The Shuttle Valve is only used in electrically controlled leveling systems with solenoid valve manifolds. Although the shuttle valve is not used in room extension manifolds, the operation of the rooms that are used with a combination of a leveling manifold and room manifold power unit may be affected by a shuttle valve failure. The HWH pumps have two ports, a pressure port (fluid to the manifold) and a return port (fluid from the manifold back to the reservoir). The shuttle valve is used to block the return port from the leveling manifold. This allows the system to develop pressure so the leveling jacks can work properly. The shuttle valve also has to shift to allow fluid into the leveling manifold. Anytime the pump is running, the shuttle valve shifts. This allows fluid into the manifold and blocks the return port back to the pump. It takes approximately 800 psi of pressure to shift the shuttle valve. When the pump turns off, a spring arrangement in the shuttle valve shifts the shuttle valve back to the original position, pressure side blocked, and return side open."

Link to full document:
HYDRAULICS AND HWH SYSTEMS

Tags
hwh, leveling, slide