Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Blue Ox Sportlll Motorcycle Lift Carrier

Hello to all, I am a new member here and not sure if this post belongs in this forum. I am currently installing a Sportliftlll Carrier on the rear of my 2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39s with Cat 9 350 engine and Allison Transmission, both hitch and coach are rated for the carrying of my 2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic motorcycle. My question is, if I put a motorcycle cover over the bike to protect it from the elements, will I experience damage to the paint from the cover due to wind and turbulence?
Thanks
JerryClark
JerryClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryClark View Post
Hello to all, I am a new member here and not sure if this post belongs in this forum. I am currently installing a Sportliftlll Carrier on the rear of my 2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39s with Cat 9 350 engine and Allison Transmission, both hitch and coach are rated for the carrying of my 2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic motorcycle. My question is, if I put a motorcycle cover over the bike to protect it from the elements, will I experience damage to the paint from the cover due to wind and turbulence?
Thanks
JerryClark
Jerry,
Having been there done that, yes, you will experience paint damage due to turbulence back there and, a cover on the bike. I had the Hydralift on ours for over 8,000 miles and, rather than accept the paint damage on our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing, I just decided it was worth the time and effort to either wipe it down or, wash it, depending just how bad it got, during the days travels.

Hydralift sells what's called a "No touch" portable garage that attaches to the lift I had. Well, I bought one, to the tune of $1500. And, that portable garage, also doubles as a parking garage when it's not on the actual lift. It detached from the lift in just a few minutes or so.

But, I put it on there and, adjusted it every way from Sunday and, could not get it to "not touch" in several points/areas. Hydralift said I was adjusting it wrong. Well, after several arguments, they took it back.

Anyway, I then purchased a different kind of travel cover for a full dress motorcycle. It's called an "Ultra-gard" motorcycle cover. That thing is seriously thick, like a sleeping bag. It's got a zillion clinch buckles all over it. When done installing it on the bike, it WILL NOT MOVE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH TURBULANCE you've had back there. It's like a glove.

But, due to the fact that there was no way possible to completely seal that Wing on that lift etc., the infiltration of road dust and debris still made its way in and around the bike. I still had to wipe it down after a days travel.

It was better than no cover at all but, again, it still let dirt in. But, the point is, with just about any other cover on your bike back there, you will have "flapping" and or movement in the cover and that, in conjunction with the dirt/dust/debris, WILL make etching marks in your nice paint, That's not good! Good luck. By the way, I'd like to see a picture of your lift on the back of your coach. Below are two pics of ours, when we carried it on the back of our '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT.
The first is just the bike on there and the second one is, with the "Utra-gard" cover.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

regarding cover

Sott Thanks for the reply, I have a ultragard cover for the Harley but with the changing of windshields the fit changes. I am glad to know that I need not go thru the next season looking for a cover. I will as you said just clean the bike after each travel session. We are hoping to slow down this year and spend a little time at each travel destination as opposed to the way we have traveled over the last few years. This will be the first time to take the toad and the bike with us and was a prerequisite to being allowed to buy this coach. Wife says Bike goes or we keep old MH. Anyway Thanks for the reply and congratulations on your choice of motorcycles. My wife has a GL1800 Motortrike conversion and I just sold my beloved 2001 Yellow GL 1800, it was a hard decision on selling the Harley or the Wing but soft knee made it easier. Thanks again and I will post some pics as I finish the project. Travel Safe
Jerry
JerryClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryClark View Post
Sott Thanks for the reply, I have a ultragard cover for the Harley but with the changing of windshields the fit changes. I am glad to know that I need not go thru the next season looking for a cover. I will as you said just clean the bike after each travel session. We are hoping to slow down this year and spend a little time at each travel destination as opposed to the way we have traveled over the last few years. This will be the first time to take the toad and the bike with us and was a prerequisite to being allowed to buy this coach. Wife says Bike goes or we keep old MH. Anyway Thanks for the reply and congratulations on your choice of motorcycles. My wife has a GL1800 Motortrike conversion and I just sold my beloved 2001 Yellow GL 1800, it was a hard decision on selling the Harley or the Wing but soft knee made it easier. Thanks again and I will post some pics as I finish the project. Travel Safe
Jerry
Jerry,
You're most certainly welcome. I really liked hauling the Wing on the back of our coach. In the beginning with this coach, we hauled the Wing and towed our '04 Jeep Rubicon so when we arrived at any particular destination, we could ride to our hearts content then, take a break and hit any possible trails with the Jeep. It was way cool.

But, as time went on, AND, we encountered some of Americas worst possible roads, we decided the Wing was just bouncing way too much back there. There was never any damage to any portion of the bike, the lift or the coach but, we figured we'd pushed our luck enough, at over 8,000 miles in that fashion.

So, we sold the lift, sold the Jeep and, an interim toad, an '11 CRV (that neither one of us ever really liked) and ended up with an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab as a toad. We purchased a flawless conditioned (used twice) "Rampage" lift/carrier for the truck. I did the install which, took the better part of two days. Now, the truck carries the Wing and takes all the brunt of "Americas worst roads", not the coach.

But, as stated, we did it on a 36' unit. Having a larger/longer coach will help matters immensely but, that Harley of yours will still bounce, based on what you hit and, at what speed. An example would be the 550 between Grand Junction CO and, Montrose CO. That road, is a 55 mph road but, has a ton of serious bad spots in it that really caused the Wing to bounce around back there. And, the bad part was, you can't see them coming. So, I just ended up traveling in the slow lane, a lot slower than the local folks appreciated. So what, it's my bike and my coach. GET THE ROAD FIXED!

Anyway, good luck and, I'd like to see pics when you get it all finished. PM me if you'd like. Safe travels and enjoy the bike when you get to where ever you end up.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox