Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Blue Ox steering control

I am interested in putting some sort of steering assist on my coach. I am familiar with Steer Safe. I have read about Safe-T-Plus and Blue Ox. I would like some input from you fine folks out there who have used these products. Is the Blue Ox really worth the doubled+ price over the others I have mentioned?

I am traveling I-10 in AZ and the wind is very hard. The coach is handling well and I don't have control issues but fighting the wind is getting to me. Which type of produce would be the best for better steering relief in high wind and gusty conditions?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Well, you could try tomatoes but I don't think that'll help. Sorry, I couldn't resist since you said produce. I know, have had a few cold ones already.

I was going to ask if you have had the cheap handling fix or rear trak bar done, but then realized you have a DP. I thought the air ride on the DPs took care of those wind issues.

From what I understand, the safte T and blue ox steering product are to make a front blow out manageable. If not, I'd like to hear about it, because if it helps with gusts of wind I'd like to get one. Cheers, AL

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

There are several threads about the Blue Ox Tru center on this forum. The Major difference is that Blue Ox is adjustable while you are driving. I believe that Super steer has a similar product. I have had the Blue Ox for several years and it reduces the effort of steering my rig by more than half. I am currently traveling through AZ and it is very good in the wind. You can also adjust it to make up for slanted roads.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

X2 what Pcurt said.

I have the Safe T Plus and have been using it since 2007. It really helped my rig by removing "steering wander" and now driving it is a two fingered event instead of a white knuckle one. The fact that it provides increased safety in the event of a blowout was a secondary consideration.

The Safe T Plus offers a "trim kit' option which allow for adjustment on the fly too but it brings the total price pretty close to the Tru Center if i recall.

Blue Ox had some quality problems with Tru Center when it was first introduced. A solenoid became notorious for breaking off as I recall, but from all accounts those problems are behind them and there are a lot of satisfied customers out there. I do not know if the Tru Center offers the same kind of blowout protection that the others do. It seems to be a completely different design.

The ability to adjust on the fly is what adds a lot of cost so it's a matter of how much we love our "gadgets". The trim kit has been on my wish list for years but now it's looking like it's going to stay there since we're hanging up our keys.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jerichorick,
I do not have the Tru-Center. I do have another brand driver adjustable system (now out of business). I would not have a steering assist system without the driver being able to adjust the centering on the fly. For me the feature is very valuable. I may not re-center for days or weeks, but when it is needed, it is worth the cost.

The Tru-Center does provide control assistance if a rapid air loss does occur. I think there is around 200+ PSI in the cylinder.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Well, you could try tomatoes but I don't think that'll help. Sorry, I couldn't resist since you said produce. I know, have had a few cold ones already.

I was going to ask if you have had the cheap handling fix or rear trak bar done, but then realized you have a DP. I thought the air ride on the DPs took care of those wind issues.

From what I understand, the safte T and blue ox steering product are to make a front blow out manageable. If not, I'd like to hear about it, because if it helps with gusts of wind I'd like to get one. Cheers, AL
"produce" is just one of those words a dyslectic will automatically miss as wrong or pick (produce) as ripe (right). I'm so confused.

I saw a video many years ago about the blow out protection of the Steer Safe and I put it on my first coach. My second coach was a '05 Vectra with independent front suspension. I DID have a right front blow out with it and had no problem pulling off to the breakdown lane on that particular road. Had it been under other road conditions I don't know what would have happened with the lack of steering control assist. And this is why I am asking. Again, so.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
X2 what Pcurt said.

I have the Safe T Plus and have been using it since 2007. It really helped my rig by removing "steering wander" and now driving it is a two fingered event instead of a white knuckle one. The fact that it provides increased safety in the event of a blowout was a secondary consideration.

The Safe T Plus offers a "trim kit' option which allow for adjustment on the fly too but it brings the total price pretty close to the Tru Center if i recall.

Blue Ox had some quality problems with Tru Center when it was first introduced. A solenoid became notorious for breaking off as I recall, but from all accounts those problems are behind them and there are a lot of satisfied customers out there. I do not know if the Tru Center offers the same kind of blowout protection that the others do. It seems to be a completely different design.

The ability to adjust on the fly is what adds a lot of cost so it's a matter of how much we love our "gadgets". The trim kit has been on my wish list for years but now it's looking like it's going to stay there since we're hanging up our keys.

Best of luck.

Rick
Thanks for this info, Rick.

I found a right "pull" on my '05 Vectra common and again the same thing on this coach. I can't always tell if it is the road crown, wind or both. As my original post notes, I-10 in AZ is tough with the high winds. This coach is great to drive even with the I beam front suspension and 20 hp less than the Vectra. I am glad that I moved 'down' a level. I feel confident that I can keep this rig for many, many years and am willing to invest a few improvements into it. Steering assists is one of the top priorities with tire monitors to follow.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I hope a Blue Ox rep is viewing these posts. I just tried to go to the web site and I got a DNS look up error. I hope this gets corrected soon.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
To anyone following this: The Blue Ox site is down and appears that they are trying to restore it.

As you know from my profile I am a volunteer. Well, don't ya know that one of the guys I am working with has a brand new Blue Ox that he is not going to use and has sold it to me for $500! I have ordered the bracket through Amazon. I think I will mount the silver push button switch on the foot rest box. The installation kit has both dash and floor mount switches. I'll try to get good pictures to post for those interested.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My previous coach had a Trucenter and my current one has a Safe T Plus with Air Trim. I have to say I much prefer the Safe T Plus. When I push the centering button I can really feel a difference, the effort required to hold the wheel against a crosswind goes away almost completely. I did not feel this nearly so much with the Trucenter. The Safe T Plus trim unit works on compressed air, so I had to get a compressor and tank installed which brought the total cost up to around the price of the Trucenter.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
My previous coach had a Trucenter and my current one has a Safe T Plus with Air Trim. I have to say I much prefer the Safe T Plus. When I push the centering button I can really feel a difference, the effort required to hold the wheel against a crosswind goes away almost completely. I did not feel this nearly so much with the Trucenter. The Safe T Plus trim unit works on compressed air, so I had to get a compressor and tank installed which brought the total cost up to around the price of the Trucenter.
Well, I am now committed to the Blue Ox product but I did research Safe T Plus. Nothing was mentioned on their web site about a Air Trim kit. Is this a separate manufacture?

One of the things I noted it the installation of the Blue Ox is that the alignment must be correct from the start. I think I am good there. I hope to install the Truecenter next weekend, if the bracket arrives sometime next week.

Thanks for your input.

Rick
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #12

I found a switch on Ebay to match my existing switches and installed in a spare knock-out in the drivers side switch panel. It's the unlabeled switch below. I rarely have to adjust mine, but when I need to, it's an excellent feature.
I was looking for ways to improve the straight-line stability of my coach as it had a tendency to wander. I'm not convinced the TruCenter made a huge difference in that respect but that, together with new Bilstein shocks, tire pressure adjustment and front end alignment made a big improvement.
It's still not perfect but much more relaxing drive than it used to be.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Well, I am now committed to the Blue Ox product but I did research Safe T Plus. Nothing was mentioned on their web site about a Air Trim kit. Is this a separate manufacture?

One of the things I noted it the installation of the Blue Ox is that the alignment must be correct from the start. I think I am good there. I hope to install the Truecenter next weekend, if the bracket arrives sometime next week.

Thanks for your input.

Rick
The trim kit is not made by Safe T Plus but rather by Henderson's Line Up in Grant's Pass Oregon. SuperSteer Trim Unit for Monaco Chassis

Their brand is Super Steer.

There was some initial flack about use of the trim kit voiding the warranty of the STP but I got in contact with the owner of Henderson's as well as a VP at STP and confirmed that this is not the case.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Rick O, I did read about that issue but never took the time to find the resolve. Good job on your part. Thanks for clearing that up. But, the TrueCenter is a commitment now. It is sitting next to the coach waiting for the bracket to arrive.

There are two choices for switches. I may use both. I can mount the chrome 'foot' switch on the foot rest and the rocker in a dash slot. There is no slot on the dash or transmission control area that is convenient. When I start the job I'll have a better idea.

Thanks all.
Rick

Tags
blue ox, steering