Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Brake Buddy surge brake for my toad, which is a '93 Honda Accord EX with a 5-spd manual transmission. The setup procedure seems pretty straignt forward, but the last thing I want to have happen is for the brakes to be activated and not released. I would appreciate any hints and tips from experienced users.

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #2

I recently purchased a Brake Buddy surge brake for my toad, which is a '93 Honda Accord EX with a 5-spd manual transmission. The setup procedure seems pretty straignt forward, but the last thing I want to have happen is for the brakes to be activated and not released. I would appreciate any hints and tips from experienced users.

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #3

have used brake buddy for 10 years and i test it each time i hookup. press the test button and watch the brake pedal return to off. that will let you know there is no brakes still activated.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tommywilson:
have used brake buddy for 10 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a good one, I though I had one of the first models in 2001! It was housed in a square metal box.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #5

You can get the alert system but if you do not trust that then you run a wire to a tatle tale light into the connection to the 12 volt FROG source. He time the pump comes on you will know that or wire the tatle tale light into the alert connections.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #6

I have had one since 03. Works great. Would strongly suggest the alert system. Not only will it warn you if it says on but it will help in knowing how to set the sensitivity. I set mine to 1 or 2 so it do not come on at easy stops. But it is nice to see the red light come on when I really need it.

2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
bobwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Bigred1,

I got the alert system & brake away switch when I bought my Brake Buddy in 2001. I also have the old square metal box that Driver mentioned. The alert system is in 2 parts one part hooks to Brake Buddy and one part mounts on motorhome dash, and it lights up anytime the Brake Buddy puts on the toad brakes! I like this system a lot, and find it easy to use!!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #8

My unit also has the alert and break away accessories. However, I'd like to have a backup alert on the car's brakes being engaged. It occurs to me that the Brake Buddy could have released but there is still enough pressure on the pedal to keep the brake at least partially engaged. Along the lines of what Wally suggested, I was thinking of installing a connection into the car's brake switch or brake light wiring and connecting this to either another light in the dash area of the coach or connecting it to the same wiring that drives the Brake Buddy's alert transmitter. I'm not a wiring expert so if anyone has any ideas on this plz jump in!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #9

I don't have a Brake Buddy, but do use a Roadmaster Even Brake. The remote sensor in the MH tells me when the unit activates, and has a feature that turns it off if the brake activates for an extended time. Does the Brake Buddy have a similar feature? I thought they were all pretty much the same.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote