Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
You can scrub a lot of energy with a brief hard application of the brakes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Amen to that!

Been there, done that! Found it works well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its called "stab braking" and is a common practice of OTR drivers and is taught in truck driving schools. It is also better for your brakes than riding them. I also believe that the driver in that older MH did not know how to drive it correctly.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriVer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RON55:
I travel Colorado high mountains in July and August and have found some down hill where low 1st gear would not hold back enough and I had to ride the brakes to keep her in lst gear, then I do have some concern about all the brake failures.[

I go down 7% grades in 2nd gear and might barely have to tap the brakes. I it's sketchy as to whether there may be icyspots under the snowpack, I have even used 1st gear.
My transmission is well trained tho and it will not shift to a higher gear until I tell it to. The builder of the tranny must have had confidence in my judgement, and it does'nt try to overrule me.
Shame on these mfgrs that think we're too stupid to know what gear we want to be in.
Do they think we're stupid beause we bought their product?

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred K:
Too me, over heated brakes = operator error 90% of the time. When watching the video, I counted seven people in the motorhome. It possibly could have been overweight also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree...can't take the bone out of the head of MH owner drivers like this...but just maybe...the brain can be tweaked...sadly...this was not a MH driver...driver was an idiot.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> You guys are so compassionate!
And worse yet you have no idea what you're talking about. You could be right, but you don't know that. He did'nt look like an idiot who would jeopardize his family and his life.
I suspect his judgement to go up there might have been bad.
Have you guys ever been on a road that dropped 5000' in 17 miles? That averages 6% for a long time and probably has many steeper places I'm surprised they don't have weight limitations on that road or at least do like they do for the trucks approaching Denver with umteen warning signs and runaway truck ramps.
Maybe you guys are highly experienced professional drivers or maybe you've never driven down a mountain.
Most people don't realize just how fast your brakes can get hot and once they do, they are useless on those grades. I've been there there and done that when I was hauling tanks in Graphenvier Germany when I was 19 yrs old. Luckily , I did'nt kill any one.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #32
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, .... and what you wrote could be considered melodramatic.

In the same breath, I would also like to add that trying to blame the dead guy without his having and chance for rebuttal is distasteful.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by max49: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, .... and what you wrote could be considered melodramatic.

QUOTE]

oOO K
Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:

Agree...can't take the bone out of the head of MH owner drivers like this...but just maybe...the brain can be tweaked...sadly...this was not a MH driver...driver was an idiot.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure exactly WHAT to make of this type comment.

This motorhome wreck is a wreck that happened a year ago, and has been re-hashed again and again on other boards.

It appears that after hitting several cars, and several trees, the motorhome held up remarkably well, and MOST of us can appreciate that the driver tried his best to save his family as he steered the vehicle into his side of the coach to take the brunt of the impact. Wall cabinets that came off the insides and fell to the floor would be expected in this type of severe and spectacular crash, and JD Gallant milked this to the press for all it was worth.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

It appears that after hitting several cars, and several trees, the motorhome held up remarkably well, and MOST of us can appreciate that the driver tried his best to save his family as he steered the vehicle into his side of the coach to take the brunt of the impact. Wall cabinets that came off the insides and fell to the floor would be expected in this type of severe and spectacular crash, and JD Gallant milked this to the press for all it was worth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was amazed that an 18 year old rig hit all those other vehicles and then went over an embankment sailing sideways through a stand of some pretty substantial trees before comming to rest on its side and was still sound enough to be uprighted in one piece and loaded onto a flatbed. The impact was such that even some of the rims caved in on themselves. It would have been amazing that anyone would have survived even in what would be considered a well made automobile and here only one fatality.

A warning for us not to overestimate our driving skills or the capacity of our rigs.

Even a moments error in judgement by an individual can have great and lasting effects on so many.

Play it safe.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:38 AM   #36

In order to gain any useful operational and technical knowledge, there must be a fair, unbiased, comprehensive look at any accident. That means all factors including the machine (design, operation and maintenance), the operator (experience, possible impairments), road conditions and weather.

It does not improve anything for the media to overhype or for someone to use this incident to promote their own product. Nor does driver bashing solve anything.

The incident needs fair evaluation and hopefully any changes needed will filter down to the masses for our knowledge and betterment.

Oh, the places [I, ME put myself in and survived. Very blessed and incredibly lucky. Hopefully most of you are and have been smarter than me and not learned most things through stupid mistakes. But I am sure we all one or two lurking in the closet.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 AM   #37

Driver, thanks for the info on "stab braking". I'll try to remember, it makes sense.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stoopid question time .....does the emegency brake offer any help in those situations??
Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
Joe, I always use third gear comming down the Grapevine in our Allison 5 speed equipped Allegro. Try it you will be able to maintain a decent speed without going over 4000 RPM.

Dieselclacker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks DC, I will give that a try.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
All the best braking methods in the world won't do you any good if your brakes are defective! I cite the NHTSA investigation of W22 chassis brakes now in progress #EA07016. I just reported mine, all four rotors cracked all the way through at less then 40K miles.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call it what you want stabing or riding, but if the grade is so steep, you have to get on the brakes to keep it in low gear. Now I suppose workhorse chassis are not for steep grades. I am just using us highways that trucks use.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rickandcheryl:
All the best braking methods in the world won't do you any good if your brakes are defective! I cite the NHTSA investigation of W22 chassis brakes now in progress #EA07016. I just reported mine, all four rotors cracked all the way through at less then 40K miles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't dispute some having W22 brake problems, but I have never heard of an accident cause by the brakes on a W22. Have you???

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote