Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #57

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recognize that our setup is a little different than the Workhorse chassis generally discussed but would like to relate a specific story.

We went to Palo Duro Canyon State Park in Tx in September, 06. For those of you who don't know about it, the entrance road is about 2 miles of 10% grade with at least 4 hairpin turns. The worst part is a straight run of 10%, followed by a wicked hairpin boardered by a stone wall.

Coming around the turn at the top of this part of the decent, I brought us completely to a stop to survey the situation. I locked the transmission (Allison 1000) into the lowest gear on the lever and proceeded very slowly. Though I stabbed at the brakes a couple of times, we started to pick up speed rapidly. In the middle of the run, the transmission upshifted, I assume because it was unable to hold us back any more. Since I had no gear options that I could get to, I stood on the brake pedal hard several times, trying to balance how long I was on it with not depleting the air in the tanks. I was fortunate to slow us down enough to be able to make the hairpin turn. Apparently, I didn't jeapordize the brakes because there was no smell from them immediately after that experience.

I've since learned that the exhaust brake isn't very effective in the lower gears in spite of the fact that the RPMs were in a range that it should have been. As a result, I'm all but paranoid about any grade steeper than 9%. I'll run down 6% and even 7% grades all day long (I64 in Maryland for example - 13 miles of 6%). Last year, we took Route 321 from West Jefferson toward I-77 and had to go down a couple of miles of 10% on that road. Fortunately, the turns were far more gradual than the hairpins at Palo Duro. Since the road could tolerate a bit faster speed, the engine seemed happy with holding us in 2nd gear and there were no upshifts.

I have no idea about what I could have done differently at Palo Duro other than disconnecting the toad before tackling the decent (we do have a good, proportional toad brake). I've bought and study the East and West versions of the Mountain Directory, trying desperately to avoid putting myself in the same kind of situation as the driver in the referenced story where I try to drive our RV someplace that I shouldn't.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
There's every chance that your transmission upshifted because the engine RPMs hit their upper limit in the lower gear, so the transmission upshifted to protect the engine. If that's the case, to keep the transmission in the lower gear, I'd suggest monitoring the tachometer and using stab braking to keep the RPMs below the point at which an upshift will occur.

Out of curiosity, is the torque converter of the Allison 1000 locked in 1st gear when the exhaust brake is in use? If not, then the exhaust brake would not feel very effective.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes it sounds like a torque converter not locked up. While desending grades you must watch the tach as much as you watch the speed. I wonder when the manufactures of motorhomes will go to auto shift instead of automatic transmissions. A lot of trucks now have that as an option. The difference between the 2 is an auto shift is a manual transmission shifted by a computer which also controls the clutch.There is no clutch pedal, just throttle and brake. Drives just like automatic but can be held in any gear with no slip.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #60

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suspect that you are right about torque converter not locking up in 1st. I was afraid to get into the brakes too hard too soon in that long part of the decent. It was my first experience with anything that steep and I was hoping that if I started slow enough,I'd be OK. I was so engrossed in trying to keep us on the narrow road that I didn't watch the tach. I'm still concerned at how often I could stab brake and keep air pressure up. On and off the pedal can really take it down pretty quickly. No way would I want the parking brake trying to come on due to low air pressure in the middle of a run like that.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
Air brake systems should give you warning that they are running low on air without looking at the gauge, an alarm should go off at 60 psi which is still enough to release the brakes. Also I don't know if you have an application gauge. It tells you how much pressure is going to the brakes, if you have drum brakes as most trucks do it will require more pressure as the brakes heat up and expand the drums. Also a very important item overlooked by most drivers of air brake systems (Trucks and RV's) is draining the air tanks on a daily basis. If water has accumulated in the tank there is less room for air and if you've ever had a brake line freeze in the winter you will know what I'm talking about. It all comes down to knowing your vehicle and it's systems.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #62

Mid Atlantic Campers

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #63

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rick, I believe that I do know my air brake system, maintain it properly including checking the tanks for water (have not found any in 4 years.) I have a good checklist for the system checkout including verifying that the alarm comes on. And yes, mine are drum brakes.

None of that is my point, however. If I'm coming down a steep slope and my low air warning buzzer goes off, I figure that I'm in a heap of trouble. What it means is that I haven't managed that slope very well. I just don't want to be there. I suspect the driver in the article that lead to this discussion was exactly there (not having managed the slope well) but for different reasons that I mentioned.

That management means that I need to put myself in a position not to use up my resources (air) faster than they can be replenished. It takes the compressor some time to bring the air pressure back up to operating range. While it is doing that, I assume that I'm charging down the hill, potentially out of control because the drive train isn't providing me enough slowing power or I wouldn't have needed to brake so hard in the first place.

Personally, I see no difference in making the same statement about a normal hydraulic brake system. If the brakes are "used up" (overheated) it means that the driver didn't manage the slope correctly.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #64

Not sure I would have slept much leaving my wife in that position unsupervised!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BEBOP:
Here is a rather humorous anecdote regardig proper descent off the mountain. This was in the 30 foot Georgie boy (1984) with the 454 and three speed, on Good Friday
My wife (the blonde) is driving. I told her when she got to the top of the grade to put the tranny in 2nd gear hold 35 mph, and keep it there until she got to the bottom of Cuesta Grade at San Louis Obispo in Central Calif. I took a nap but......I woke up hearing an engine doing about 8000 RPM. I asked her what gear and she said 2nd. I go look, she is in first and doing about 45 MPH.
I hear the rear main let loose at that point. She got it slowed down and we limped at 20 mph for the next 15 miles on the freeway into the RV park. We sat it out over the Easter weekend, started up Monday morning and banging loudly to a shop two towns away. We got to their driveway and the engine froze up. They pulled the MH in with the fork truck. We rode the Greyhound home 200 miles with about 4 bags of "stuff". NO Toad in those days. 2 months and $5000.00 later we retrieved the motorhome.
She doesn't drive this motorhome
Bebop </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #65

Hugely bad idea!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocket Heart:
Stoopid question time .....does the emegency brake offer any help in those situations?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote