Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #1

I have a motor home with a WorkHorse chassis,
While on a trip in August the breaks would go to the floor and not return or release the breaks,
I had to pull the pedal back up with my foot.

When I got to Utah, I had a Diagnostic center look at the problem. They said the booster pump was bad, I had it replace, (Over a thousand Dollars),
Brake pedal would then come back up but when applying brakes the pedal would go almost to the floor. They did stop the motor home and I drove it back to Texas and called Workhorse for an authorized mechanic. They sent me to South West International; I took the Motor Home in on Wed
August 22, 2007.
Waited all day while they worked with WorkHorse
Diagnosing the problem. Determined it was the power steering box, which also feeds the power booster for the brake system. Determined it was the power steering box, which also feeds the power booster for the brake system. That part was replace, (did not fix problem).
Got a call back from the service center on Friday September 7th, they wanted the receipt for the booster pump that was replace on August 6th. I gave them receipt, they contacted Workhorse,
who said the part was an OEM part and they would not give me any credit, Now my bill is over $4000.00 and problem is not resolved.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, My next guess would be the master cylinder, then on to
the brake calipers. I am sure I could have guessed at that from the start and saved a lot of money.
dmauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #2

I have a motor home with a WorkHorse chassis,
While on a trip in August the breaks would go to the floor and not return or release the breaks,
I had to pull the pedal back up with my foot.

When I got to Utah, I had a Diagnostic center look at the problem. They said the booster pump was bad, I had it replace, (Over a thousand Dollars),
Brake pedal would then come back up but when applying brakes the pedal would go almost to the floor. They did stop the motor home and I drove it back to Texas and called Workhorse for an authorized mechanic. They sent me to South West International; I took the Motor Home in on Wed
August 22, 2007.
Waited all day while they worked with WorkHorse
Diagnosing the problem. Determined it was the power steering box, which also feeds the power booster for the brake system. Determined it was the power steering box, which also feeds the power booster for the brake system. That part was replace, (did not fix problem).
Got a call back from the service center on Friday September 7th, they wanted the receipt for the booster pump that was replace on August 6th. I gave them receipt, they contacted Workhorse,
who said the part was an OEM part and they would not give me any credit, Now my bill is over $4000.00 and problem is not resolved.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, My next guess would be the master cylinder, then on to
the brake calipers. I am sure I could have guessed at that from the start and saved a lot of money.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dmauss, here is a link to the WCC forum on IRV2 that is discussing a NHTSA investigation of WCC brake problems. You may want to contact the NHTSA about your brake problems.

WCC Forum Brake Discussion

Good luck - Glenn
Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dmauss, welcome to iRV2.com. Sorry to hear that you have spent so much on an issue that is not fixed. Follow the link Mutha provided and I would recommend you keep very good notes on who you talk with and invesatigate this issue completely. Good luck and let us know if we can help with any questions.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:03 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem with my 2000 workhorse cassis. It turned out to be the bellcrank that changes the direction of the linkage was sticking. It's very hard to get to so its always overlooked for lube. Some don't have a grease fiting. I saw an article on the workhorse web site that explained how to put a fitting in it. Hope this helps you.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:12 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
This sounds like the "lube the brake caliper pins" issue. Follow the link Mutha posted for more info. If it is the caliper issue REPORT it to the NHTSA as there is an investigation going on over it.

Also, you should have a grease zerk installed on the brake bell crank.

Lastly, if the company that did the work did get the parts from WCC it's on their dime. How can you be in contact with WCC and not use OEM parts in an under warranty condition.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dmauss: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>May we please have your year and model of chassis? I think that would be helpful.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dmauss: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>May we please have your year and model of chassis? I think that would be helpful.[/QUOTE
My Motor Home is a Fleetwood Fiesty 26Y 8.1 vortec and a W2X chassis. I think it is the W22
not sure. The authorized company fixing the problem called me on tuesday and said it was ready. I paid $4558.85. Got in the Motor home and brakes go to floor and would not start. I think the brake pedal did not come back up to shut off the brake lights which drained the battery., Still in the shop being checked out.
Not getting much help from WorkHorse. Have E-mailed them and about two weeks ago they were going to have a regional manager call me. He never did.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:31 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
Dmauss, here is a link to the WCC forum on IRV2 that is discussing a NHTSA investigation of WCC brake problems. You may want to contact the NHTSA about your brake problems.

WCC Forum Brake Discussion

Thanks for the info. I did file with them this morning.
Good luck - Glenn </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
This sounds like the "lube the brake caliper pins" issue. Follow the link Mutha posted for more info. If it is the caliper issue REPORT it to the NHTSA as there is an investigation going on over it.

Also, you should have a grease zerk installed on the brake bell crank.

Lastly, if the company that did the work did get the parts from WCC it's on their dime. How can you be in contact with WCC and not use OEM parts in an under warranty condition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WCC said the part if a NAPA Part. The people who worked on the Motor Home in Utah I guess did not contact WCC. A Regional service manager did call me yesterday, he said the people working on my coach have not contacted WCC. He did know about the OEM part and told me it was a NAPA part and I did not need to send it back to UTAH.
How would he know that if the company working on my Motor home had not contacted them?