Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My coach came equipped with a brake retarder that basically downshifts the transmission to slow the coach. It doesn't use the exhaust like the Pac-Brake. It seems to do the trick 90% of the time, but there have been a few instances where I wish I had more braking. Have any of you with a similarly equipped coach switched over to a Pac-Brake?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My coach came equipped with a brake retarder that basically downshifts the transmission to slow the coach. It doesn't use the exhaust like the Pac-Brake. It seems to do the trick 90% of the time, but there have been a few instances where I wish I had more braking. Have any of you with a similarly equipped coach switched over to a Pac-Brake?

Craig

Old 06-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Are you sure there is no exhaust brake? My '05 Discovery has one and the tranny downshifts also. Check your paperwork. I know mine has one as I've oiled it several times. They require service and could be hanging up. It's on the drivers side. Let me know if you find it.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #4

Is your "brake retarder" always on? Or is there a switch or button to activate it?

Your Allison is likely downshifting because it is programed to downshift when your Pac-Brake is activated. It is likely that you have one. Unlike a Jake-brake, Pac-Brakes are nearly silent. At least I can't make it out, even with my window open.

Check your engine compartment. Mine is accessed by raising the bed.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys, I'll crawl underneath and check when I get home from work.

I have a rocker switch marked "Retarder", but was told by an "informed person" that it only downshifts the Allison. I wish now that I had checked personally before embarrassing myself with this post.

On a side note, I installed a BrakeSwitch shortly after I bought the coach, and really like it.

Craig

Old 06-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig it's quite possible that it's hanging up. They sell pacbrake lube, a couple of drops per directions could help.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

There is an optional "retarder" for the Allison transmission, but it does a lot more than just down shift. Downshifting doesn't do much when the engine has no inherent compression braking to start with, and diesels do not.

The Allison retarder is a fairly expensive option and not often seen on a Discovery or anything else in that price class. And it certainly is not standard on that chassis.

Checking the spec sheets on the Freightliner Custom Chassis web site, I see that the chassis on the 2005 Providence included an "exhaust brake". For full details on your chassis, see 2005 Providence Chassis Specs

I suspect your "informed person' is just plain ill-informed..
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, it's official, I'm an idiot.

I just inspected my exhaust system, and I do in fact have a Pac-Brake. Question, is there any special method to lubing this thing other than spraying the pivot points? I read in another forum that Pac-Brake lube or a synthetic spray called "Super-Lube" should be used. I bought some Super-Lube at Ace Hardware and sprayed all of the pivot points with the engine off. I tried to activate the Pac-Brake with the coach in my driveway, but I assume it won't work unless you're moving down the road.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig, I think the pac brake lube is high temp. Regular spray will burn off. Just a couple of drops on the operating parts. Mike
Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike,

You got me thinking, so I looked at the Super-Lube can. It says that it can withstand temps up to 450 degrees. This didn't seem to be high enough. Concerned, I gave Pac-Brake Tech Support a call. They said Super-Lube is an authorized lubricant and that it will work just fine.

I almost forgot, are you able to get much lubricant on the Pac-Brake shaft? The tech support guy said to close the valve by hand and lube the shaft. I couldn't get the valve to move more than an inch or so because of the spring.