Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Brakes squeal

Our, new to us, MH only has 7,000 miles on it and the brakes squeal loudly when coming to a stop. Someone told me that I should check out "burnishing" and that might help. They didn't know how to do it though. What the heck is burnishing? I can't find any info on it. Please help, Joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
sip

Winnebago Owners Club
Drive slow and touch your breaks lightly to burnish the rust and dirt off the rotors
sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I have not driving the coach for a while my brakes will squeal until I have put a few miles on coach. The disks will rust up from moisture but driving it wears off rust and shines them up and less squealing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
azloafer, try this link. My brakes did the same thing when my motorhome was new. After going thru the burnishing procedure they now work fine.

Sammie

RV Tech Library - Burnishing Squeeling Brakes
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we picked up our Tradewinds last Dec in Florida, the first few mornings the brakes would squeel like crazy. I tried to get out of the RV parks as quickly as I could.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did the burnishing when I first got the mh. The brakes still squeal the first two or three times after sitting for two or three days.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Joe,
Assume you have air brakes with drums? Were the wheels/drums removed for inspection for purchase or bearing packing? If so there is a good chance that "brake dust" moved around and some ended up on the drum or shoes resulting in terrible squeel/grinding noise. This happened at our last maintainance so we went around the block and back to the mechanic. He blew out some of the dust with air which helped some. 20 miles home it got no worse but no better. Since brakes are subject to road water we figured it wouldn't hurt so "washed out" the drums with a garden hose. 2,000 miles since and not a squeek!
PS - We "searched" this site (iRV2) and found several discussions on squeels and burnishing......
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm going to try hosing them out before our next trip. If that doesn't work I'll try to find a place to do the burnishing, although I'm at a loss as to what road I can use to go 60 mph and quickly brake to 40 mph and do it ten times! Joe
Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I'm going to try hosing them out before our next trip. If that doesn't work I'll try to find a place to do the burnishing, although I'm at a loss as to what road I can use to go 60 mph and quickly brake to 40 mph and do it ten times! Joe
Just come to Las Vegas and drive on the freeways. That's how the traffic drives normally here.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #10

Azloafer, like Hal, given the chassis, engine, and tires mentioned in your sig I also assume you have air brakes and very large drums. Drum based Air brakes systems are massive as compared to discs and they are made to be used with moderate to hard braking. Watch the semi-truck drivers as they come down a hill, or come to a stop. They don't apply light pressure, or ride the brakes. They brake hard and release, brake hard, and release. THere's a reason for this.

The most likley cause of squealiing air brake systems is the frequent application of light brake pressure and/or excessive usage of the pac brake during normal in-town, or in-city braking which also results in little, or light application of the air brakes. Light braking pressure will result in random, non-uniform, hot spots on the drum and this results in squealing. These hot spots (shinny areas as compared to the remainder of the drum surface) are typically in small areas on the drum surface and as these spots rotate over the brake pads they cause the squeal.

Air brakes should be frequently used with moderate to hard braking pressure. Hard braking causes the entire drum surface to heat up uniformily and this results in the entire drum surface being continuous with no random shinny areas and thus no squeal.

Squeally brakes usually can be eliminated by applying the brakes very hard several times. I mean very hard....five or six times in a row. Apply hard enough to the point where loose items in the rig, such as an item on a table surface, will slide forward while braking. This is best done when decellerating on an off-ramp, or when coming down a small hill.

Squealling also frequently occurs after the vehicle has sat just a few days in any area that has moderate humidity. Rust will rapidly accumulate on the smooth, shinny, drum surface and the rust builds up more and faster on any existing, more shinny, hot spot areas. Hard braking will usually remove this rust and will reduce or eliminate any shinny surfaces caused by hot spots.

Bottom line, if at all possible, avoid very light braking. Use more frequent moderate to hard braking.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had that same problem when I first purchased my MH. I turned off the exhaust brake when doing some low speed in-town driving and it seemed to clear up my problem. Believe me, I don't like turning off the exhaust brake, but every once in a while now I will do it. On very humid days, or if it is sitting and there was a hard rain, I will notice the squealing when first taking off, but typically now, in the first couple of minutes it will go away.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote