Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #1

We are getting ready to purchase a braking system for our new coach, is there any difference between blue ox, brake buddy, or any of the other brands out there? Please give us some feed back!

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2005, 01:55 PM   #2

We are getting ready to purchase a braking system for our new coach, is there any difference between blue ox, brake buddy, or any of the other brands out there? Please give us some feed back!

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Bob, check out what has already been discussed on this topic by clicking on the "find" button and enter the Braking System search words. We have been using the Road Master, Brake Master air version since we have air brakes. They also make a gas chassis model.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Since your Adventurer doesn't have air brakes, you will need one of the types that has its own brake power source (usually a 12V powered air compressor/tank) or one of the cable-operated "surge" brakes. The easiest to set up is the Brake Buddy, but you have to put the BB unit somewhere when it is not in use. Some people think its a hassle and others find it trivial - you decide. Many thousand of RVers use Brake Buddys and nearly all are happy customers.

The US Gear Unified Tow Brake is also a good choice. Once installed, there is nothing to do except plug it in when you are ready to tow. It's an excellent system.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #5

to bobrv

i've had my bb since 2000, because we were goning to calgary, alberta, canada, and the bb was the only approved for use in canada by the royal canadian mounted police. it great if you have a helper when installing, it takes less than 10 minutes to install and when wiring installed in other cars ,the brake buddy can be used. i've broken the break-away transmitter and called the bb # and they over-nighted the unit to me. it,s simple to use, not invasive to toad's systems and works well. i could have gone into much more info ,,.. if you more info get back to me.

thanks, and i hope this info helps----ajbjrvers
Old 11-20-2005, 04:36 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm using SMI's stay-n-play unit. After a minor one time installation, all you do is turn on the switch & its good to go. Top this off with a signal light on the MH dash (tells when the brakes are applied on the toad) & adjustable braking while driving from within the MH & in my opinion, this is a far superior unit than the BB at about the same cost.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #7

We have the Apollo by Blue Ox, find it very easy to install and we had one problem, blue ox just sent a new one and paid to have the other one sent back. It has been flawless besides that. I went with it for price and that if I ever get a newer or different tow vehicle I can move it easily.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Blue Ox system. EZ to hook up. works well. Light weight and ez to store.Blue ox are great people to work with if you have a problem
Old 11-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #9

I have the Brake Buddy. What I liked about it was that when I change cars, as I recently did, all that needs to be done is grab it and put it in the new car. The brake a-way switch is the only thing attached to the car. It is only attached with 2 screws. But in the end it is what you like best for yourself. Just get something.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the SMI four wire unit. The features that I like is the vacuum pump so that the brakes are activated with the toad power booster working, and the positive feedback signal in the coach from the toad brake light switch so you know when the toad brakes are applied.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #11

I bought the original model of Brake Buddy in 1999 when I bought my first coach (36' Class A gas).

My first tow car was a '93 Honda Accord. My second was a Saturn SC2.

Now I tow a Saturn Vue V6 behind our second coach, a 38' Dustch Star DP.

I've used the same Buddy with all.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 AM   #12

I have the Roadmaster 9160 which is the air activated system for the toad. It is a little more work to install than the others but I like the idea of true proportional braking in conjunction with the MH.
Just my $0.02

Derek aka Mindcandies
Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 PM   #13

I have used the Unified Tow Brake on the same toad (2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee) with two different Motorhomes. I am quite happy with this system both with air brakes and hydraulic.

The initial installation is not difficult, but is rather time consuming. This is a proportional system with brakeaway coverage. Once installed, it requires hooking up a cable and the brakeaway cable and does not get in the way in the toad.

WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote