Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
Country Coach Owners Club
If safety is your only concern, then size matters. You might want something like the Renegade on this web page Renegade XL Photos

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Brand New with some questions

JMrace, There's a super volcano sitting underneath Yellowstone National Park that is 40,000 years overdue, when it erupts it will cover most of North America in ash.

To each his own, but I most certainly wouldn't base a buying decision on the extremely rare front end collision you mention.

You are more likely to get hit by a car crossing the street to your motorhome, or a multitude of other things.

Good luck!

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by jmrace View Post
I understand the Class C 's may be safer in crashes because are truck based and the trucks have been crash tested and have airbags while class A's do not. I have heard that Winnebago does some sort of test of their class A . Concerned about front end collisions .
But Class A's have seat belts. and those are far better than air bags (Which by the way cause injuries more often then not)

Personally.. I would say that I would go with the class A, but it would be more accurate to say I am sitting in one as I type this.

Now. Since my wife died a nice "C" might be.. Less expensive.

But frankly.. I kind of like this rig. Safety .. Well without an overhead cabinet above the driver's head it might be safer. But so long as the door closes firmly.. i do not think so.

One advantage of this Gasser.. In most cases if a car decieds to broadside me I'm doing to end up on the roof of the car. not on the bumper... So it's a long climb into the living space. but .. I worry less about the other guy.

Fact: When you are driving 100,000 or more worth of house.. YOU TEND TO DRIVE CAREFULLY.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #18
Thanks , decided on class A

Thanks for of the responses. The advice was very valuable . We have decided on a class A because of the room and driver comfort and visibility. We looked at a Winnebago Adventurer 37 B that my wife liked a lot, we also are now not as afraid of the length because of the extra features on bigger coaches.

jmrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #19
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had 3 MH's. Our first one was 23' then a 34' and now a 31'. Driving larger vehicles has never been an issue with me but it is with the DW. I have 25 years driving school buses as well.

It's like anything else. Just get behind the wheel and take your time. Approach it similar to how you'd approach flying an airplane. I do believe having a check list before starting the engine is advisable. There are usually two of you trying to get everything done. Until you develop a set procedure of who is doing what something will get overlooked. There are just so many things that you have to get right and things will interfere with the procedure. You're breaking down the camp and a friendly neighbor comes over as you are working and starts up a conversation. That's a distraction. I've left camp sights with TV antenna's up doors open, stools in front of the MH the DW forgot to put the key in the TOAD and I dragged it 1/2 a mile with the steering wheel locked. We've all done dumb things and probably will again.

Just take your time, develop a set system, get everything set and one more walk around just to make sure. The same is true for driving. Take your time, survey the area, concentrate on your driving.

Man the MH is great. You can fix a cup of coffee and just relax. Well maybe after a few thousand miles. I even remember having a glass of iced/gin in my cup holder a few times when I was young and foolish. I didn't drink a lot but occasionally it was there. Don't be trying to drive with a cup of coffee in your holder. That's a distraction and not worth the luxury. Yes I do it but I've got a lot of miles under my belt behind the wheel of big vehicles. I don't do it unless we are on the open road in low wind conditions and low traffic volume. When it gets congested both eyes ahead and both hands on the wheel.

The RV life style is great. The DW wants to be part of all that we do and that's great as well. When it comes to setting up and breaking down camp getting a routine is I believe a good idea. It's good so things don't get missed. Our compartment doors open up and if propped open before a slide comes out that door is going to get messed up. We set up water/electric and waste before the slides come out. She breaks down the interior while I'm outside doing things. We then close the slides before breaking down the water/electric and waste hoses. f.

Deciding on the routine will take a few attempts because each coach is different but it is necessary so things don't get forgotten or missed. With a lot of the bigger coaches their compartments and doors come out with the slides. In the last few trips we've seen a number of hoses, brooms, hose Y connections, camp chairs, portable grills, charcoal bags, table cloths, etc, etc left as camp sights. I even picked up a decent mechanical cork screw which I still use.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote