Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #1

Brand New with some questions

My wife and I are looking to buy a used RV, we have looked at class A's and C's. We like the view and space of a class A but are worried about the safety. We are looking in the 30-32 foot range, 35 to 40 thousand dollars used . Any suggestions. We will be traveling with two dogs. Probably two or three major trips a years ( visiting kids living all over the country west coast to NY city) plus week end trips trips to Disney and the Florida Keys ( we live in Florida)

Any suggestions from veteran rv'ers appreciated.

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrace View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a used RV, we have looked at class A's and C's. We like the view and space of a class A but are worried about the safety. We are looking in the 30-32 foot range, 35 to 40 thousand dollars used . Any suggestions. We will be traveling with two dogs. Probably two or three major trips a years ( visiting kids living all over the country west coast to NY city) plus week end trips trips to Disney and the Florida Keys ( we live in Florida)

Any suggestions from veteran rv'ers appreciated.

John

Can you expand on your "safety" concern?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #4

I understand the Class C 's may be safer in crashes because are truck based and the trucks have been crash tested and have airbags while class A's do not. I have heard that Winnebago does some sort of test of their class A . Concerned about front end collisions .
Old 10-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrace View Post
I understand the Class C 's may be safer in crashes because are truck based and the trucks have been crash tested and have airbags while class A's do not. I have heard that Winnebago does some sort of test of their class A . Concerned about front end collisions .
Had Class C and now have a Class A. Having said that, I would go for the Class C. Your budget and length of need/use fits well with a Class C. Also you will be able to purchase a newer model C for your budget rather than a Class A normally, from my experience only. If you decide on Class C, then your next decision is do you go with GM or Ford for engine and chassis. This will be coupled by best floor plan. I have found GM's to be less expensive than Fords, but I have been a Ford buyer most of my life, so my first and only Class C was Ford engine and chassis. As far as collision, I have no experience to offer.

Good Luck!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

Good luck with your search

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

The decision between Class A and Class C is a good starting point for sure. And once you have that more or less settled, then begins the real difficult chore of deciding on the next 30 decisions to include gas vs diesel, various lengths and floor plans, which manufacturer and model, and so many more questions. Frankly, we found that lots and lots and lots of reading, visiting RV shows and local RV dealers and most importantly talking to RV owners was a long but very important educational process. IMHO, it can be a costly mistake emotionally and financially for those who try to take a shortcut. At the end of the day, it's all about DIY RV Education.

Good luck in your search
Old 10-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
x2 What Sidewinder said.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Get what you like. Get the best floorplan you can find that fits your needs and desires. Dont worry about the safety issues. Both Class A and C will be OK.

Yes the C has a truck front end but in the A you sit quite a bit higher. If either an A or a C has a head on with an semi the result will be the same.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

We have a class A, never had a class C, however, I prefer the more open space in the class A's driver & passenger area and the ease of access to rest of the coach. Also enjoy the wide unobstructed view through the large front windows. To me the driver & passenger area in the class C is too confining and closed in.

x2 on Gordon's post

Best of luck and good luck with your choice.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your final decision will be yours to make. There are just to many variables involved. We've had 6 RV's and learned a bunch with each choice but our eventual needs may be vastly different from yours. No matter what you decide to do take these suggestions to the bank.

If money is no object then this won't apply. If money is a consideration your mechanical abilities or willingness to want to and to learn how to diagnose and fix these machines is something very important to consider. Even if you don't fix some of the more difficult items at least be able to ask the right questions so you are not spending money for a technician to just replace parts until it finally works. That's not how it should be done.

I have a good background but am continually learning. Even new RV's need work. Do you want to take your RV back to the dealer for a bad door hinge or fix it yourself?? I fixed a window that just would not easily open and close. WBGO tried three times with no results. Now it's out of warranty so I fixed it myself with a suggestion from a poster on these forums. It was simple and it worked like a charm.

Once you finally decide on THEE RV make sure you test every aspect of the coach. Try everything. One example. We ordered a 28' TT. When we picked it up we tried almost everything. We got it home and found out that the shower glass wall leaked onto the floor. So 300 miles later it was fixed. Had I just taken the shower head and sprayed it around the glass I might have found the leak and had it fixed that day. No we were in a hurry so we took it home (150 miles away) and had to take it back at our expense for the gas.

A poster on these forums bought a new class A. It had a vibration at around 50 MPH. I don't know if he knew or felt the vibration before he bought the RV. He has had it to 6-9 different Ford, tire and RV repair facilities. After 3-4 months countless of visits and many, many miles it is still not fixed. Ford and Thor have given up and so has the owner. It is no better now. He's contacted a law firm.

The point is had he noticed the vibration and refused to buy the RV until it was vibration free he would not be in this situation. If a dealer or private owner says it just needs this or that don't take their word for it. Get at least a second opinion and maybe a third if necessary. Start the generator and run both AC along with the hot water heater both on gas and electric. The biggest mistake you'll make is to ASSUME that they did what they said they did. If you or I told somebody that we tested everything it would be the truth. We tend to assume that everybody else is telling us the truth as well. That may come back to bite you.

Here's something else that will get away from you. Not everything in an RV is used every time you get inside it and make a camping trip. We didn't open the kitchen/living area window every time we traveled. If it's summer when you stop it's time for the AC. During the cold months it's the furnace so again the window does not get used. When we finally started to use the window in the fall they had tried to fix it and nothing worked. Now we were out of warranty.

We had another RV with 2 roof AC units. We typically only used the front AC. The rear AC didn't have 5 hours on it. When we did use it later it didn't work. It was still under warranty. It was replaced. Years went by and we decided to sell the RV. Well guess what?? We still didn't use the rear AC much and when we did it was again defective. Out of warranty and no it didn't have 10 hours on it.

Always check the dates on the tires. The date is on the inside of the tire. It is very easy to read. If you see 4 numbers like this (4215)DOT The tires were made in the 42 week of 2015. That is a big expense. Remember tread depth does not indicate that tires are good.

TeJay
Old 10-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #12

I am new to this forum but you raised some very interesting thoughts. I need to know how to start a new thread please. I am looking at a 99 Winne class A with Very low mileage. Would you be able to help me start s new thread please? Thank you
Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
coachmandave,
Dave if you get off this thread forum page and go to the opening page at the top on the same line that lists all the page numbers look on the left hand side you'll see "New Thread". Click on that and start your thread.

The reason it's not at the top of this page is because it's a thread started by someone. To start a new thread you have to be at the opening page for the forum.

We had a 1999 Dutch Star on the F-53 chassis. I believe that was the first year Ford made that chassis for RV's. If it wasn't the first year it was very close.

TeJay
Old 10-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #14

You could go to an RV show. Take a look around and step in all the different makes, models and RV types. If you are looking at Class C and Class A gas, you can get an idea of floor plans and construction of all the different manufacturers.

We started at the beginning -C versus A versus B+. As soon as we sat in a Ford Class C we knew we could not travel for hours on end in that cockpit. Too cramped and not enough leg room for us. The Sprinter C-Bs were better for leg room, but they limited us to 25 feet. The decision was made for us right there.

I agree that a Class C affords a margin of safety above most Class As for certain types of crashes.

If you are making this decision on safety, my "guess" is that the safest type of RV would be a modern-day PU truck pulling a 5th wheel. It that case, nobody can get up and walk to the bathroom though. We do that as well as grab a snack, the kids grab a new game to play at the table, etc... When we do that, we understand that some amount of safety is given up when walking about the cabin.

Good luck on your search,
CJ