Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Breaker as remote for inverter?

Instead of going outside to turn off inverter ( no remote) would flipping the breaker off be a good alternative? The inverter drains alot of power overnight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
circuit breakers are not meant to become everyday switches. Sure, it will work, but eventually the breaker will begin to trip pre-maturely and below it's rated amperage. Why not just install a remote or on/off switch. You need to power the inverter to charge the batteries when generator or shore power is connected, so if you have turned off the breaker, be sure to turn it back on.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The breaker marked "inverter" didnt turn off the power anyhow. I will look into getting a remote.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #4

Fhe breaker only turns off the 110 feed to the inverter not the output from the battery.
BOB
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a breaker labeled INVERTER, as I do, odds are that will not turn off the inverter.. In fact quite the opposite. In some coaches and trailers the inverter is a combination device, both charging the batteries if there is another source of 120vac handy (LIKE shore power) and powering the Televisions and such off the batteries if there is no outside source.. My rig is like that.

The breaker is the 120 volt feed to the inverter for battery CHARGING, turning it off will have no effect if there is no other power source (Shore/Generator)

NOW.. I have, on occasion, turned it off to FORCE the inverter to go into inverter mode.

QUESTION: What brand of inverter do you have (Make and model) some of them.. For example the Xantrex Prosine line.. You can easily build and install a remote.. Directions (For the prosine) on request.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok this info is good to know thankyou.

I believe the inverter is a magnum.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 04 Revolution. Can someone please tell me the proper way to turn off the inverter. I also turned off the breaker, thinking that it was the correct thing to do.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will tell you all the procedure I follow when I answer this type of question.

First I ask the make and model.. Georgetown said it is a Magnum but I would need model too (That's on his rig, Dirtbuster did not say what model)

Then I would google Make Model Manuals (Replace make and model with your make and model, Manuals is typed as I did just now)

Then I'd download the owner's, installation and service manuals for the inverter in question.

I love to read.. I read most anything EVEN OWNER'S INSTALLATION and SERVICE manuals.

Then I'd do a cut and paste of the proper section of the manual.

NOW: You folks can save me a lot of work.. By downloading the manuals for your unit yourself and storing a copy on YOUR hard drive instead of mine

IF you want... Post make and model and I will see what I can find..

I am replying this way because: There are two different people asking and thus I assume two different inverters and two different sets of instructions.. This reply helps them.. and likely several others as well.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My questions have been answered. My idea of using the breaker to switch off the inverter when going to sleep was squashed :(

I left the inverter on overnight for the first time and by morning the house batteries were dead ( I'm sure they were on their last legs). and they have not been able to hold a charge since.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My inverter has circuit breakers for the output circuits too. Look at your breaker panel and compare the labels to the things that are powered by the inverter, e.g. microwave, outlets, etc. If you flip those off, the inverter can't power anything on those branch circuits. The inverter itself may draw a bit of power, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
hmmm, is it possible that something is wrong here?

I'll admit to not having a big fancy new diesel rig loaded with all these modern conveniences, but:

I have 2 nice new golf cart batteries.
An intellitec 9100 convereter to keep them charged if 120vac is available. It has next to zero leakage.
A really cheap 400 watt inverter to run the icemaker.
Another really cheap 800 watt inverter for the front TV and DVD. This one I bought, leakage is spec'd at less than a tenth of an amp per hour.

I've recently lived off the grid for 3 days. Only ran ther genny for 10 minutes each morning to make coffee (tried, the 800 watt inverter wouldn't handle the coffermaker)

The house batteries were still 3/4 charged after 3 days, both inverters on the whole time. I really shouldn't say that, the "big one" only turns on when it gets something to do. The lil one made a bunch of ice though.

My 2 lil batteries are good for 220 amp/hours. If half way = dead, that would take a 14 amp draw overnight to take em down!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Xantrex 2000 inverter and it works this way.

With the inverter switch is on and AC power available the battery charger portion of the inverter charges the batteries and the inverter part is turned off. The AC is passed thru the inverter to power the circuits connected to the inverter. If AC power is turned off the inverter will supply AC power by the batteries to those circuits connected to the inverter but it will not turn off the battery charger portion of the inverter but of course the batteries will not be charged.

With the inverter switch off and AC power available the batteries will be charged thru the battery charger and the inverter portion naturally is off. The AC power is passed thru the inverter to power the circuits connected to the inverter. If AC is off there will be no AC power available from the batteries but the battery charger will be on.

If you remove the AC source from the inverter by opening the breaker and the on/off switch is off the inverter is totally shut down both for battery charging and inverter.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Today I got a chance to play around with my inverter. It is a Xantrex Freedom 458, with a Freedom Basic Remote. I read the manuals again, but I am still not sure if I am doing things right. By looking at the inverter power feed schematic, it looks like the inverter is fed AC thru the 30 amp breaker at the foot of my bed. This should stop the incoming side of power to the inverter. I guess this would be AC only, at not the DC from the batteries. There are 2 breakers on top of my inverter. Turning these off should stop the current flow leaving the inverter.

Is this the correct way to disable the inverter from drawing down the batteries?

Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #14

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
circuit breakers are not meant to become everyday switches. Sure, it will work, but eventually the breaker will begin to trip pre-maturely and below it's rated amperage. Why not just install a remote or on/off switch. You need to power the inverter to charge the batteries when generator or shore power is connected, so if you have turned off the breaker, be sure to turn it back on.
Some manufactures such as Square D. QO breakers are rated as switch duty. MEANING THEY CAN BE USED AS SWITCHES.