Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I only have two neutral wires coming into my transfer switch from the genny, I wonder what the third one is for?

The generator neutral wires should have continuity to ground, usually the connection is made at the generator wiring box. You may want to open that one up and inspect it.

You definitely should be able to rule out the transfer switch by verifying no continuity across the neutral contacts with the neutral wires disconnected. This way you will have isolated it to the wiring.

I think you're almost there, just have to keep the state bird at bay.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
I only have two neutral wires coming into my transfer switch from the genny, I wonder what the third one is for?

I have a black, a white, a red, and a ground coming from the gen to the transfer switch...The wires i am referring to are where they come out of the gen and into a junction box located in the generator compartment. Then it's hard wired back to the transfer switch.

The generator neutral wires should have continuity to ground, usually the connection is made at the generator wiring box. You may want to open that one up and inspect it.

See above statement.

You definitely should be able to rule out the transfer switch by verifying no continuity across the neutral contacts with the neutral wires disconnected. This way you will have isolated it to the wiring.

I will jump on that in the morning.

I think you're almost there, just have to keep the state bird at bay.
Well you guys have pointed me in the right direction....again THANK YOU!!!!
nopes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #17

OK..Now I'm really beating my head against the wall..
I went out and did what you said by pulling the white (neutral) wires off the transfer switch and checked continuity on the contacts. It was and open SO I thought I ruled out the transfer switches. I hooked up the white wires to the transfer switch with the exception of the white wire coming from the generator thinking that was where the problem is. I go to plug the shore power in and BAM the GFI trips again!!! SO I start from square one again by removing all the white (neutral) wires from the transfer switch with the exception of the white (neutral) wire coming in from the shoreline plug. STILL trip the GFI, SO I leave the line side (shoreline power) connected at the transfer switch and disconnect the load side of the transfer switch and I am still tripping the GFI.....I am TOTALLY lost as to what is happening here. Ive even replaced the GFI thinking it was going bad...still tripping it.
CLUELESS!!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopes67 View Post
OK..Now I'm really beating my head against the wall..
I went out and did what you said by pulling the white (neutral) wires off the transfer switch and checked continuity on the contacts. It was and open SO I thought I ruled out the transfer switches. I hooked up the white wires to the transfer switch with the exception of the white wire coming from the generator thinking that was where the problem is. I go to plug the shore power in and BAM the GFI trips again!!! SO I start from square one again by removing all the white (neutral) wires from the transfer switch with the exception of the white (neutral) wire coming in from the shoreline plug. STILL trip the GFI, SO I leave the line side (shoreline power) connected at the transfer switch and disconnect the load side of the transfer switch and I am still tripping the GFI.....I am TOTALLY lost as to what is happening here. Ive even replaced the GFI thinking it was going bad...still tripping it.
CLUELESS!!
maybe this will help. i have more reference material if this doesn't help.

Electrical Tutorial

http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Earlier, when you removed both lines and neutral shore power wires you got no trip but when you have line hooked up and neutral unhooked you get a trip. Did you leave the ground hooked up when you removed the lines and neutral?

Sounds like the shore cord is bad now! Does the shore cord go right into the transfer switch or does it have other junction boxes, cord reels, etc that cold be where the problems is?

One other thought. I assume the coach is 50A (at least the transfer switch pic I posted is 50A). Have you replaced the adapters you are using to plug into the 20A outlet? Sometimes they do go bad.

The last thing I can suggest is fabricating a temporary shore power cord (does not have to be the right gauge, etc, is this is for troubleshooting only), wiring would be: two wires from the line connection of a 120V 15A plug, one to L1 of the transfer sw (or where the black wire from the shore cord would connect to), another to L2 of the transfer sw (or where the red wire from the shore cord would connect to), this is so both lines are in parallel which is the way the 30A-50A adapter works, neutral connection of the 120V 15A plug to the neutral connection of the transfer switch (white wire), and ground to ground of the switch (green wire). This will eliminate the shore power cord and adapters so you can determine whether those are bad.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Earlier, when you removed both lines and neutral shore power wires you got no trip but when you have line hooked up and neutral unhooked you get a trip. Did you leave the ground hooked up when you removed the lines and neutral?

Yes I did leave the ground hooked up.

Sounds like the shore cord is bad now! Does the shore cord go right into the transfer switch or does it have other junction boxes, cord reels, etc that cold be where the problems is?

Shore cord goes right into the transfer switch.

One other thought. I assume the coach is 50A (at least the transfer switch pic I posted is 50A). Have you replaced the adapters you are using to plug into the 20A outlet? Sometimes they do go bad.

Yes it is 50A. I have not replaced the adapters, however I have wiggled, and bent them while they were unplugged from the MH..No trip on the GFI.

The last thing I can suggest is fabricating a temporary shore power cord (does not have to be the right gauge, etc, is this is for troubleshooting only), wiring would be: two wires from the line connection of a 120V 15A plug, one to L1 of the transfer sw (or where the black wire from the shore cord would connect to), another to L2 of the transfer sw (or where the red wire from the shore cord would connect to), this is so both lines are in parallel which is the way the 30A-50A adapter works, neutral connection of the 120V 15A plug to the neutral connection of the transfer switch (white wire), and ground to ground of the switch (green wire). This will eliminate the shore power cord and adapters so you can determine whether those are bad.
I will do that this weekend. In the meantime I did a little more troubleshooting and with everything connected with the exception of the white (neutral) wires at the generator junction box, the GFI does NOT trip after WAITING a period of time..its almost like something has to de-energize or reset before I can plug the shore power back in without tripping the GFI. I will dig into it a little more AGAIN once I have a chance to review what Dan has posted.