Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #15

I usually say "hey kids, know what would be a lot of fun to do in the rain?" It worked.....once...for a few seconds.....till the lightning bolt lit up the world....
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #16

Mostly, its "grin and bear it." Keep repeating "Camping is fun."

If its raining hard, bathing suit, t-shirt and old sneakers. I found I sweat too much in some kind of rain suit. The wife doesn't buy that I'll melt and she definitely won't hold an umbrella, mentions very loudly that's not in her job description.

Once you reach the point of "can't get any wetter," there's no sense hurrying. Setting up in a hurricane in Virginia, I was at that point so I walked around and guided others to their sites and asked if I could plug them in. Maybe some day the favor will be returned.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

We're in the group who will wait out the bad weather.

Last fall, we were staying at a little CG on a small island in the Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia when a big storm blew in overnight. Rather than wait it out, we decided to break camp and make a run for it since the little island we were on had breakers lapping up all around us!

Since we hadn't expected rain, my patio mat, chairs, etc were all wet when I had to stow them in the basement.

We had a heck of a time getting things to dry out for several days. With high humidity and cool temps things just wanted to remain wet so I put two portable electric fans running constantly in the basement with the doors open and that finally did the trick.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #18

I carry a 2-piece rain suit and overshoes (military surplus, they go on/off easily over my shoes). When I'm finished outside, DW meets me at the stairwell with a trash-bag which holds my wet, and/or muddy, rain-suit and overshoes. I'm now ready to move, and in dry clean clothes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Frogg Toggs are reasonable priced breathable rain gear. http://www.froggtoggs.com/
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2 frogg toggs
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #21

If it's predicted to be raining the morning I leave, I do all I can the night before. Just about everything except unplugging the water and elec. Then just grin and bear it and do what needs to get done. I figure it's still better than walking in the rain to a job I no longer enjoy.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
My daughter and son-in -law went on vacation with us in 1991. We were at the KOA at Cape Hatteras. The mourning we were leaving, it came one of those monsoon showers that the coast is famous for. We took our time at breakfast but it was obvious that it would never let up anytime soon. My Son-in-law jumped up and said, I will go outside and unhook us. I told him to wait a minute. Take off all your clothes and put on a pair of shorts from the dirty clothes bag. He did that and unhooked us and came back in dried off and put the shorts in the shower. He dressed and we were own our way. I just love motorhoming!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
We live in the Oregon coastal mountains - if it rains we get wet - no big deal - we get out of wet/cold garments as soon as we can and go about life as normal. The wet items go into the shower for storage. Sure a windbreaker or raincoat is good but they all leak (I think). Now if it's a blizzard or hail storm we'll patiently wait it out. I kind of think it is worse to be somewhere in 110 degrees and have to be outside to disconnect, etc. But that's just me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #24

I have rain gear that is in the MH just for that reason. Had to use it for Memorial Weekend on Monday. Monson in the morning and great weather when we go home at 2pm. Go figure. I try and breakdown some items the night before after use, those items that aren't needed after dinner. If it is raining I just go about breaking down and not worrying about whether it's good or not because once I get home I can lay it all out in the garage.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #25

I had taken the philosophic approach to departure in the rain and was settling in to "wait it out" when the automatic weather radio came on to announce heavy rains in the forecast.The NOAA voice went on to warn of flash floods and at the point of mentioning the specific Texas State Park where I was tied up,the agenda changed.I had been directed to a "pull through"site from which exit was impossible without backing up,which necessitated unhooking the toad and all that involves.By the time all was ready to leave,my designer green garbage bag went into the trash and I went off to explore Texas in the rain.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
x3 on Frogg Toggs.

I know that getting an RV road ready in the rain is rough. But you know what is rougher? Being a backpacker and having to get out of a nice warm sleeping bag and dry tent and having to pack up your gear in the pouring rain and then hiking in it. Been there, done that.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #27
Retired Senior Member

Frog Toggs.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rain and more rain

I've got'ta check the frogtog (?) gear but I know I can't add any ideas not already mentioned. My only solution has been to put on dirty clothes out of the laundry bag, finish the job, and then put on my good clothes for the drive.

The one thing I can say about the topic is that I've never seen a rainier summer in the southeast .....all of my life for that matter! But we're going out this weekend on our maiden trip with our new-to-us TT and guess what.......NO rain in the forecast (for the most part)!