Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

Bridgestone Ecopia R268 Tires

I don't know where my previous post disappeared to, so I am re-submitting this. Does anyone have any experience with the new Bridgestone R268 tires that have replaced the production of their R250 tires?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I don't know where my previous post disappeared to, so I am re-submitting this. Does anyone have any experience with the new Bridgestone R268 tires that have replaced the production of their R250 tires?

Running 6 in 245/75-22.5 size, replacing Michelin XRVs in 235/80-22.5, on a W-22. I did a write up blurb in July I think in response to someone else. I bought these because it's what the tire store I like to patronize sells. I did not price compare against the XRVs I removed after over 10 years of great service. I think I paid maybe $400 per, not including a handful of this 'n that charges. After talking with the tire store, I looked up the dimension info and concluded what the guy was telling me was correct - what Michelin calls a 235/80 is real close to the rest of the worlds 245/75s.

I like the 268s. Wife thinks they are quieter. I think they may tramline a bit more than my worn out XRVs, but I had scrubbed the shoulders off all 6 XRVs over the years (I rotate my tires myself, so equal opportunity scrubbing). It's certainly not bad, but I noticed, and figured the nice new edges may have something to do with that feel. The 268s have a substantial amount of rubber along the outside edge. Since b-stone markets these for local route and delivery service stuff, that makes sense. (Curbs and all). I think they "whump" a little deeper over joints. She says nuh uh. Call it a draw. Ride is fine. I usually run 10 psi more than the handy dandy tire pressure charts say. Life and it's variables and all. I was concerned the more commercial nature of the tires' intended market could mean a design and ride that might pummel us into oblivion, but 'twas not the case.

I have no regrets after maybe 3,000 miles from the June install through August.

Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the excellent review. I am replacing my Michelin XRVs which cracked after less than four years. There are not too many choices of manufacturers to replace the XRV size of 255/80R22.5. It looks like the Bridgestone 265/75 has almost the same revs per mile.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

I went with the R2568 over the R283, both Escopia's, due to the Michelin chart comparing Rolling Resistance. Even though the R283 is for both Long Haul/Regional vs the R268 is for Regional - the R268 had a superior Rolling Resistance to the Michelin XZE I was using as comparison. (12R size, so not many choices for me from Michelin.) It as 6% better then the XZE, where as I recall (could be off on this one from memory) the R283 were 8% less the the XZE.) The R268 is supposedly a bit more 'robust', like the XZE, so that might give the a higher survivability rate with today's pot hole filled highways!.

We'll see, as they go on in under two weeks!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I went with the R2568 over the R283, both Escopia's, due to the Michelin chart comparing Rolling Resistance. Even though the R283 is for both Long Haul/Regional vs the R268 is for Regional - the R268 had a superior Rolling Resistance to the Michelin XZE I was using as comparison. (12R size, so not many choices for me from Michelin.) It as 6% better then the XZE, where as I recall (could be off on this one from memory) the R283 were 8% less the the XZE.) The R268 is supposedly a bit more 'robust', like the XZE, so that might give the a higher survivability rate with today's pot hole filled highways!.

We'll see, as they go on in under two weeks!

Best to all,
Smitty

Correction on my post above about the R268 and R283 Escopia's. I misread the Michelin Rolling Resistant Comparison. I was reading them arse backwards... The R283's have a better rolling resistance then the R268's. I ordered the R268's in, so the tire shop is seeing what we can do to either return them, or if they can sell them to someone else. I've committed to buy tires from them, so hoping that will help, but I sure don't want to pay shipping costs to return tires! Hoping they can add them to their stock and move them.

I figure with tires going for 5-7 years of usage, I want to get the ties that I feel are the right ones for us. And, lower rolling resistance does give a chance for improved MPG over those years.

Smitty

(This update posted in other tire threads, to correct the info on rollin resistance, so others don't consider this bad info I provided as part of their tire purchasing process.)
Old 10-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

I pulled the trigger and had six Bridgestone Ecopia R268s installed today. Not that I had a lot of choice ... they seem to be the only tires available in my size in Toronto, which is not a small city. The tires were manufactured in May, which met my criteria of less than 6 months old. I did not notice any difference in handling compared to my cracked Michelin XRVs during my several mile freeway drive back to the storage yard. I'll update this post after some more experience.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I'm looking to buy (6) 295/80 22.5 Bridgestone R268 tires to replace my Goodyear's.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on these tires ?

Any thoughts on the Bridgestone's would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

I have now put on about 6,000 miles on my 265/75 22.5 Bridgestone R268 tires. I would say that the handling is not significantly different than my cracked Michelin XRVs. The handling is fine on low wind days, but the handling of my coach in winds and passing trucks is so bad that it would be hard to recognize any difference in tires under these conditions. These Bridgestones are heavy duty truck tires so I would have to say that the ride is fairly harsh over pavement defects. I am running under gross weight so I have reduced tire pressure by 10 psi below the maximum of 110 psi. Otherwise, no problems.

Tags
tires